colij1

gertboard Motor Controller test - failed (solved: low volt)

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

hello,

I just want to test the motor controller on gerboard v2.0 on continuous mode (mode forward b - i.e. not pulsed). as suggested in the user manual, I connected J5-MOTA to a 3.3V supply and J5-MOTB to Grd. Also for my simple test, I connected J19-Grd to a another ground and J19-Mot+ to a 3.3V board supply. However, the motor controller ROHM BD6222HFP doesnt react as I would have expected. That is in the continous mode (called mode forward b in motor controller datasheet http://rohmfs.rohm.com/en/products/data ... 622x-e.pdf ), I would have expected to read 3.3V between J19-MOTA and J19-MOTAB. this is not the case, as I always read 0V.
I guess I missed something very simple, but couldnt find it...

Can anyone help me on this?

many thanks in advance,

J

for ref the mode b:
b) Forward mode
This operating mode is defined as the forward rotation of the motor when the OUT1 pin is high and OUT2 pin is low.
When the motor is connected between the OUT1 and OUT2 pins, the current flows from OUT1 to OUT2. To operate
in this mode, connect the VREF pin to the VCC pin.

joan

Re: gertboard Motor Controller test - failed

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 am

I'm not familiar with the gertboard. I have a memory of there being a minimum motor power supply voltage,

il_diavolo

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Been there, made the complaint, felt foolish! Yes, you need a minimum voltage of 7v I believe. I found that 4no AA batteries didn't work but 5no did.

colij1

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:02 pm

indeed.

this is the very first sentence in the motor controller datasheet - 6 to 18V.... shame on me.
I guess I am gonna to have to learn reading properly first :? ...
thanks a lot for your help guys...

Return to “Add-ons”