lordoxford

No more Gert... kits

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 pm

My "Gertboard" order has been cancelled just hours after confirmation.
Farnell say they're only going to supply populated, finished 'boards in future. Why is this?
Waiting for Farnell (or another org.) to tool up to production levels is intolerable!
How can I obtain a "Kit".
lox.

Gert van Loo

Re: No more Gert... kits

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:38 pm

lordoxford wrote:My "Gertboard" order has been cancelled just hours after confirmation.
Farnell say they're only going to supply populated, finished 'boards in future. Why is this?
Waiting for Farnell (or another org.) to tool up to production levels is intolerable!
How can I obtain a "Kit".
lox.
This is totaly new to me and I don't think that is correct.
Can you show/send/tell me the exact message?

-- Gert.

Kevin Pearce

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I received a kit from Farnell today. (Three days after receiving an email from them telling me the estimated delivery had been put back to w/c 17/12/12.....).

I noticed on the despatch note it says,
'Farnell will no longer carry the above item once stocks are exhausted. Please contact sales for possible alternatives'

Kevin.

lordoxford

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi Gert:
Herewith the email: I'm pretty disappointed

Dear Peter,
Sorry to disappoint, we have decided to remove the Gertboard from sale. Don’t worry we are planning on producing a fully assembled board but this will not be available for another few weeks. So with this we have cancelled your order for the Gertboard.

If you go to www.element14.com

We shall release information about the forth coming release and not to mention other technical related issues.

Many thanks

Michael Mainds
eChannels team manager, Farnell element 14

T: +44 (0) 113 3485115
F: +44 (0) 8447 11 11 11

E: mmainds@farnell.com

A Premier Farnell Company – www.farnell.com

Visit Farnell’s community for engineers | www.element14.com

malakai

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Don't like I am not one with a lot of experience if any with assembling something like this ordered a $90 soldering kit just to get going along with a few small test components to get my soldering confidence up. Now they decide to change this all up. Why not 2 a self install and a pre-assembled version I imagine the later would be more expensive. Gert maybe you should give Tandy a call. As I have ordered all my Pis from Newark I am very disappointed in this decision. The fact that we in the US don't even have a clue what is going on (the UK doesn't seem much better) But this is hogwash.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

panik

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Oh dear. I'm just jumping through all the hoops that nl.farnell.com makes me jump, to pretty please, sugar on top, give them some money and order a gertboard kit to be delivered in The Netherlands. They want any order from non-companies to be at least 50 euros ex VAT, order by email, fax or snailmail only (seriously?), pay money up front (fair enough) after they send an invoice with their bank-account number on it. With "send" they better mean "email".

I registered interest in a gertboard months ago, and yesterday evening received an email that they where available. They had 200 in stock. After I ordered, there where 199 left. Now, it's (dutch translation of) "more stock expected in 65 days", meaning they sold out. At least, that's what they make me think.

I hope them dutchies don't change their mind about not selling kits as well. I'm totally not interested in a pre-fab gertboard. Where's the fun in that?

Sigh... I'll be a patient boy and wait for that invoice.

paultnl

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:12 pm

I just placed an order on Tandy, I hope it doesnt get cancelled.
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:15 pm

I've a feeling someone's got something wrong about this here. But I don't know who. It might even be me. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

panik

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:31 pm

You know what? Enough with this silly business!

Thanks for that Tandy link, thsBavR10. They took my credit-card like a man and added 5 pounds for delivery in "selected countries in the EU". Still much cheaper than nl.farnell.com with all the useless stuff I had to order extra to get to 50 euros. I fart in their general direction and laugh at their invoice. :D

tenochtitlanuk

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 am

Yup, me too.
Farnell sent the message I could now order. Tried within two hours & board was marked not-available. Tried today & it is marked no longer stocked.
Just as well I have other home brew interfaces, plus PiFace & others.

PS For interfacing stepper motors I HIGHLY recommend the EiBot boards. Plug onto USB; appear as a serial port; have two microstepping drivers built in and accept lovely easy commands for 2 steppers, digital I/O and servos. See my eibot post elsewhere on the forum.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 am

Gert is trying to find out what cock up is currently in progress. Farnell has/had multi thousand Gertboards in stock, and I am sure they cannot have run out already. It's all very bizarre.

I've no idea where Tandy are getting their PCB's from, since Gert is the only manufacturer, and he has a deal with Farnell.

Someone, somewhere, is failing to organise a fermented wort alcohol drinking context in a building dedicated to the manufacture of said beverage.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

raspberrypiguy1

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:04 am

I think I know where Tandy are getting there gerts from.... Farnell! They did the same with the Raspberry Pi as well. They buy them for £30 and sell them for £30. It even says on there website that they 'are happy as long as they get there money back'...

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Matt, 17 year old @Raspberry_Pi YouTube tutorial maker, programmer, electronics tinkerer, entranced by the cosmos, ISS, Physics, likes Politics, Cambridge UK

jamesh

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:04 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:I think I know where Tandy are getting there gerts from.... Farnell! They did the same with the Raspberry Pi as well. They buy them for £30 and sell them for £30. It even says on there website that they 'are happy as long as they get there money back'...

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Well yes, that must be the case (there is no other source). However, I was under the impression that Farnell were keeping all the boards to sell themselves. Whatever's happening, Gert isn't happy about it!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Tandy

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:36 am

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:I think I know where Tandy are getting there gerts from.... Farnell! They did the same with the Raspberry Pi as well. They buy them for £30 and sell them for £30.
Not quite, the kit from Farnell costs £30 + VAT (£36) where as the Gertboard Deluxe Kit from Tandy costs £25 + VAT and delivery (£31 for UK customers). Due to an exclusive agreement between Gert and Farnell the only place that you can officially get a Gertboard from is Farnell/E14 so we have been buying bare unpopulated boards from Farnell and supplying our own kit of parts to go with them. There are a few differences in the Tandy Kits...
  • Components are supplied in a tube presented in construction order to save time.
    All pin headers are gold plated and pre-cut to size.
    IC sockets are all higher qulaity turned pin sockets.
    Buffer ICs are more expensive 74AC244.
    Switches are unfortunatley slightly smaller and a bit more fiddly to install.
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

Nige C

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:03 pm

I got an email from UK Farnell last Friday, that Gertboard kits were now in stock. I followed the link to the site and went to order one. The site showed they were in stock. I tried to buy one but could not add the kit to the basket. Site said that item did not have a price. (Price was clearly shown on site)

In frustration I ordered Gertboard Kit deluxe from Tandy Online. Should get it this week :)
Retired power engineer with a lot of real life experience. Life is an adventure again :)

Perius

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Seems my gertboard kit shipped on the 17th. But there is no tracking information.
The Gertboard info page says it's no longer stocked.
Guess I'll know in a couple of days if I get one. Else I guess it's just to wait until they make the assembled version.
And before you start telling me to buy it from Tandy. I live in Norway which they don't ship to.

poing

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Tandy wrote: ...the kit from Farnell costs £30 + VAT (£36) where as the Gertboard Deluxe Kit from Tandy costs £25 + VAT
Well..., maybe that's the reason Farnell decided to stop shipping kits and switch to populated boards :D

lordoxford

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:48 pm

OK - so I shot across to Tandy - they're out of stock but, unlike Farnell, they did invite me to register for a heads-up when they get some more in, which I did.

DavidMS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Sorry if I am breaking the rules here but I have un-opened Gert board kit on Ebay. I had thought I would have time to build but I cannot see it happening now this side of Christmas so have put it on the auction site
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:05 pm

poing wrote:
Tandy wrote: ...the kit from Farnell costs £30 + VAT (£36) where as the Gertboard Deluxe Kit from Tandy costs £25 + VAT
Well..., maybe that's the reason Farnell decided to stop shipping kits and switch to populated boards :D
What makes you so sure they have? It could well be a communication issue.

If indeed they have decided to sell populated boards it's more likely to be either because they'll be able to produce them cheaper than kits or because they've now established that there's sufficient demand to justify it?

poing

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:46 pm

alexeames wrote:
poing wrote:
What makes you so sure they have? It could well be a communication issue.

If indeed they have decided to sell populated boards it's more likely to be either because they'll be able to produce them cheaper than kits or because they've now established that there's sufficient demand to justify it?
In my small world 'maybe' is far removed from 'so sure', but maybe (so sure ;) ) that's just me :?

I very much doubt they can sell populated boards cheaper than kits, for they'd need quite some extra work, demand issue maybe. Or they decided the SMD elements were too hard to solder by the average schoolkid/geek.

Paul Webster

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm

or maybe they had more than expected returns from initial buyers who did not realise that they have to perform self-assembly ... so decided to change approach (without discussing with Gert).

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:02 pm

poing wrote:In my small world 'maybe' is far removed from 'so sure', but maybe (so sure ;) ) that's just me :?
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, or maybe you wrote it ambiguously. It doesn't really matter.

I thought you meant that "Farnell has stopped selling kits" and "maybe this is why".
poing wrote:I very much doubt they can sell populated boards cheaper than kits, for they'd need quite some extra work, demand issue maybe. Or they decided the SMD elements were too hard to solder by the average schoolkid/geek.
Gert had already said that the product could be half the price if the volume was there. Perhaps the initial sellout has shown that it is? The fact that someone else is selling for £6 cheaper shows that it can be cheaper (but obviously we are not privy to the margins).

poing

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:09 pm

alexeames wrote: Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, or maybe you wrote it ambiguously. It doesn't really matter.

I thought you meant that "Farnell has stopped selling kits" and "maybe this is why".
Only thing that is 'sure' is that I'm not a native English speaker, so well... But I did mean that 'if' Farnell indeed stopped selling kits, it might be because someone else (buying the boards from Farnell) sold them cheaper. But I'm not sure of course, I'm just the next bloke with a keyboard ;)

Return to “Add-ons”