NormanDunbar

Gertboard parts list

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 am

I created a parts list with a cross reference to the assembly manual page numbers where the parts are used for my own use. You can download a copy, in pdf format, http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/201 ... arts-list/ if you wish.

It was useful to me as it helped me find a missing component in my kit.

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

Casalor

Re: Gertboard parts list

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for that.

I'll be using that when I get home tonight. I only had time yesterday for a brief look and a raised eyebrow at the size of the surface mount components.

NormanDunbar

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 am

Casalor wrote:Thanks for that.
Welcome.
Casalor wrote:I'll be using that when I get home tonight. I only had time yesterday for a brief look and a raised eyebrow at the size of the surface mount components.
It's worse than you think. When you unpackage those SMDs, they suddenly shrink to half their apparent size. It's taken me two nights (about an hour each time) to get them all in correctly. I've never done SMDs before, haven't built anything electronic for about 30 years actually, but I got them in.

I also lost a couple when they pinged out of the tweezers. Don't use a spring shut tweezer, user one you have to hold closed yourself. And a decent helping hands with a magnifier so you can see what's what o the PCB. I found using my scalpel to hold/move the SMDs was easier than with the tweezers which seemd to be far too big under the magnifier.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

Casalor

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm

NormanDunbar wrote: I also lost a couple when they pinged out of the tweezers. Don't use a spring shut tweezer, user one you have to hold closed yourself.
What I was going to do was use my long(ish) spring close tweezers as a clamp to hold the component to the board as I soldered it on (so the component and board are between the jaws). But... would mean soldering these items on before anything else as bigger components might/would get in the way. Not having read the assembly instruction in detail I don't know if doing it in a skewed order would cause a problem or not.

fdion

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

I would recommend against tweezers. Never used one, it is too easy to lose parts that way.

I just use something like this when I do need to hold down an SMD (rarely):

Just tin one side, put the component on the board, push it close to where it should be, slightly offset toward the untinned pad (except c1 and c16, they wont move as they are heavier, so put them exactly where they should be). Heat the tinned pad, the component wll be sucked toward the soldering iron. Pull the iron the moment this happens. Now put some solder on the other side, if the component is aligned correctly. If it is not, use the tool to realign the part as you heat the solder. And finally come back to the first pad and add a little solder if needed.

If I had never done SMD before, I'd suggest getting a little throwaway kit. They sell those for 3 or 4$ with a board and many practice components. Start with those

Francois
Francois
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com - http://www.3dFutureTech.info - @f_dion

NormanDunbar

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Casalor wrote:What I was going to do was use my long(ish) spring close tweezers as a clamp ...
Yes, the first things you solder on are always (usually always) the lowest in height, and you work up to the highest. SMDs, by their very size, will be the lowest of the low. I'm not sure that your tweezers will be long enough though, mine definitely are not.

The other thing is this, when you are messing about trying to get the tweezers to grip, the SMD goes off by itself, and gets lost! Someone mentioned using a small dap of solder paste for the SMDs which struck me as a pretty decent idea as it is sticky and would hold the SMD in place. I haven't looked into that any further though.

One thing, get the thinnest (electronic type) solder you can. It melts quicker and reduces the time the iron is held against the component. And lead based solder is better than lead free. Use plenty ventilation though!

Cheers,
Norm.

Casalor

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Apologiesfor going off topic like that but thanks for the advice, guys. :)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I used very fine tweezers in my left hand (right handed) and only had one minor ping. I did it exactly as per the manual and it was fine. If all else fails, follow the instructions :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

ejfield

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks, that was very useful. I think there's a minor typo in the first item - the part number should be 175-9265 for the 100nF SMD caps.

NormanDunbar

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 am

ejfield wrote:Thanks, that was very useful. I think there's a minor typo in the first item - the part number should be 175-9265 for the 100nF SMD caps.
You are correct. I have fixed it and uploaded a new pdf file. If you try to read or download it, it will have the name 'Gertboard-PartsList2.pdf".

You win the "paying attention to detail" prize!

The fixed URL is http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/wp- ... sList2.pdf

Cheers,
Norm.

gordonendersby

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for that.
Ive just saved a copy with my build instructions ready to start soldering.

Gordon

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”