input

circuit breaker

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:14 am

I am a beginner in electronics so when I doing something wrong with the gpio pins is that secured by the circuit breaker.
I read that the circuit breaker is 250v.

klricks

Re: circuit breaker

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:35 pm

input wrote:I am a beginner in electronics so when I doing something wrong with the gpio pins is that secured by the circuit breaker.
There is no circuit breaker however there is fuse on the power supply input.
The fuse is a special type often called a 'polyfuse'. This type of fuse well automatically reset if tripped after a period of time left powered off. (several hours).

On the RPi 3B the 'polyfuse' is rated 2.6A. The RPi will become unstable and reboot or shut down entirely if the user attempts to draw more than that.
The purpose of the fuse is to prevent fire and toxic smoke and will not help if you make wrong connections to the GPIO pins.

Shorting GPIO or wrong connections can instantly destroy the RPi even if the fuse does not trip.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

input

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:13 pm

klricks wrote:
input wrote:I am a beginner in electronics so when I doing something wrong with the gpio pins is that secured by the circuit breaker.
There is no circuit breaker however there is fuse on the power supply input.
The fuse is a special type often called a 'polyfuse'. This type of fuse well automatically reset if tripped after a period of time left powered off. (several hours).

On the RPi 3B the 'polyfuse' is rated 2.6A. The RPi will become unstable and reboot or shut down entirely if the user attempts to draw more than that.
The purpose of the fuse is to prevent fire and toxic smoke and will not help if you make wrong connections to the GPIO pins.

Shorting GPIO or wrong connections can instantly destroy the RPi even if the fuse does not trip.
Thanks for the information. I was looking for translate fuse so I thought it was circuit breaker but now I know its calling fuse.
But is there maby a way to make a fuse for the GPIO on the Gertboard.

Gert van Loo

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 pm

But is there maby a way to make a fuse for the GPIO on the Gertboard.
Not really. The buffer chips on the Gertboard will limit the current long before a fuse would blow.
You can still blow up the board buffers by connecting them to a high voltage, but a fuse
will not protect against that.

Return to “Add-ons”