donkshop

Gertboard

Sun May 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Went to a lecture by Pete Lomas, very good indeed. Question for the community, I intend to get a Pi3, is the Gertboard compatible with Pi 3? I have no specific project in mind as yet, but would like to get to grips with the IO side of life and how to drive it in software/read inputs etc. Gertboard seems a good start.

Regards

D

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Gertboard

Sun May 29, 2016 7:11 pm

donkshop wrote: ... is the Gertboard compatible with Pi 3?
Yes... the Gertboard will work with the 40 pin PIs (uses first 26 pins if plugged in) and is 100% compatible, except that the Gertboard pin 21 is actually PI pin 27; however ...

... I have learned that the best way to use the Gertboard with the PI2B and the PI3B is to NOT plug it into the PI ! Use the little nylon stand-offs that come with the Gertboard (six of them) and then run the jumpers you want over to the PI directly... that way, the GPIO port is free, and all 40 pins are at your disposal. You can see my pics here.

edit: ... and another one here.

donkshop wrote:Gertboard seems a good start.
Its an excellent place to start ! I am slightly embarrassed... :oops: ... I had my Gertboard for almost two years before I ever powered it up ! How dumb was that? I've had a blast plying with it... but more importantly its a great educational tool, and in the final analysis very useful in its own right too. I am doing some AVR programming with its on-board Atmel Atmega328P micro-processor! what a blast!

marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

donkshop

Re: Gertboard

Mon May 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks for advice. One of the things I would like to look at is maybe making an intelligent tool for monitoring IO, for example a job I am on at the moment would benefit from a Pi sat in the middle of two umbilicals real time monitoring multicore outputs and inputs to aid fault finding as when we are conducting certain tests we have to lockout the area. Anything that would reduce time is a bonus.

I think I will sort out an order and acquire Gertie..

Regards

JBN

Return to “Add-ons”