Gert van Loo

Re: Gertbot

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am

RS have been the only one still buying from me. You should have a look at their stock.

Manufacturing is done in batches of 2500. As sales have been declining, it is not economic
viable for me to start a new batch. (I sold ~400 last year). I still have a few hundred in stock
but I am not set-up to e.g. sell them on ebay. Too much hassle with packaging, payment, shipment etc.

durian

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi,

I am trying the new 2.8 GUI now (on a 2.8 gerbot board) and I am not able to specify the ramp up/down for the stepper motor. Wasn't that possible with version 2.8, or did I misunderstand something?

-peter

Gert van Loo

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:56 pm

I just did the following:
Downloaded the GUI 2.8
Downloaded the gb_upload program.
Connected a gertbot version 2.7
Uploaded version 2.8 to the board.
Started the GUI.
Selected Step Gray Pwr.
Kept the Frequency at 100.
Set the ramp start/stop as 1
Set the ramp speed as 0.1
Set 10000 steps.
Start the stepper motor.
For me it works. Where did you encounter problems?

featherfeet

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am
RS have been the only one still buying from me. You should have a look at their stock.

Manufacturing is done in batches of 2500. As sales have been declining, it is not economic
viable for me to start a new batch. (I sold ~400 last year). I still have a few hundred in stock
but I am not set-up to e.g. sell them on ebay. Too much hassle with packaging, payment, shipment etc.
They only have 123 left, and they won't ship to the US. If you stop manufacturing the GertBot's, would you consider releasing the source code for the firmware or even the board layout?

durian

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:42 am

Gert van Loo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:56 pm
I just did the following:
[...]
For me it works. Where did you encounter problems?
The ramp-settings were still greyed out and could not be changed. I downloaded the GUI again, now I can change them,

-peter

durian

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 am

Odd behaviour - I was seeing random directions on my stepper motor. Changed to the other plug on the board, now it is working as it should, no more random directions.

-peter

olio

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Hello,
I jumped from my thread viewtopic.php?f=42&t=211446 into this one.

I searched here, if there is a similar problem, but I didn't find this specific error message.

Next I wanted to update the board with a new firmware version (2.8).
- Downloaded the gb_upload.exe and the latest firmware as described in the download sequence.
- If I run the executable, then a window opens (Main window) with two active buttons "connect" and "exit" and two inactive buttons "upload" and "download" (greyed out) as well as an empty field.
- I can't do any action with it...pressing "connect" or "exit" shows no reaction. Closing the window results into the message "The window "Main Window" does not seem to be responding..."

I think there is simply a communication failure with the board...maybe something very easy, if it can be found?!

Greetings and have a nice day!
oliver

Gert van Loo

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Most likely your serial port is not enabled on the Pi3.
See https://www.gertbot.com/pi3.html for how to get your serial port working.

olio

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm

that would have been too easy...however I first read a bit in the manual and your website about how to get it working...the basic things like enabling the UART are done...maybe not correctly? I'll double check and come back.

olio

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I did the following in the boot/config.txt

replaced the line:

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

with

dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

and added

core_freq=250

not sure if the latter is necessary

after reboot the Pi, I was able to run the gb_upload executable, connected to the board and finished uploading the SW version 2.8 to the board (2.5 was installed)...

again a reboot: the gertbot exe shows still the error, but the python drivers_test.py is now able to work with the board. The baud rate test is already done with a reply from the board.

If the control with python is working well, then I'm already happy...coming back soon ;-)

Thanks for getting me already in the right direction!
Oliver

olio

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 am

Hello again,
the only issue left was the wrong board address in the python script. After a second connect with the gb_upload executable I could see that it's addressed with board 3 by default (why not 0?)...however,
my board is now doing the tests well after a few corrections in the python script (e.g. you wrote somewhere that one should start with a low frequency...the move_stepper test starts with 5kHz, which gives only a noise without moving the motor...my stepper runs with up to 900 Hz).

so for me with Jessie on a Pi3 the following lines work for enabling the serial communication with the board:

enable_uart=1
dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
core_freq=250

Finally I can start programming my application.

Thank you very much Gert for this very functional board (I appreciate the end switches and the higher frequency than the adafruit board)!

Greetings and have a sunny weekend (already ;-)

Oliver

Return to “Gertboard classic”