Maximusi

Car Computer using Kodi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Good Evening all,

I am fairly new to the Raspberry Pi scene poked my nose in a few times envious of getting one but finally just bought myself a pi2. I have a very ambitous project of making a very cool car computer possibly running Kodi Media Center. I have posted full details of my idea on their forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217244

I was wondering what you guys over here thought of that and whether anyone would be interested in the project?

Look forward to hearing back from you all.

ghans

Re: Car Computer using Kodi

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 am

An Android tablet would be cheaper and you wouldn't have
to sell your newborn to Satan just to get a **** touchscreen
to work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mbt28

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello,

It would cost you at least 200usd. You should compare ready to use options and their benefits as well. Also you should talk to car`s bus lines. Also FM radio seems challenging. Because it is not like playing mp3, it is an analog source you should output it to main line somehow.

chameau

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 pm

I'm actually trying to build something similar, my research brought me to this post.

For me the operating system is second, first thing is to get a functional boot.

The "easy" stuff is:

1. LCD
2. Pi os
3. Power supply to the car. I've seen several people pull it off with surge protectors.
4. Audio output, there needs to be an AMP or DAB hooked onto the Pi either by usb or one of those click on things. But the cables are fairly standard and should be relatively easy to hook up.

There are some fundamental problems that I haven't been able to figure out.

1. Default OEM Car Stereo input. These include the stereo speakers, a wire indicating power on, engine on, car radio cables, and the actual power cable fitted in a 16pin connector (usually). These need to be used to handle correct on/off switching. This can be avoided I believe by making your Pi battery powered and having to manually turn it off/on. Ofcourse that would be less ideal.
2. Radio antenna. I watched a video on car stereo radio's and the guy seemed to imply that there are two radio antennas which receive power from the car stereo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM24E_X4qNs. I believe this too can be bypassed by using something like this http://www.adafruit.com/product/1497. Again less than ideal, is it possible to power the antenna?
3. Actual power consumption, say we have a Pi installed, powered, and hooked up with GPS, Bluetooth, external usb ports, touchscreen, the whole works. Can the Pi handle this?

Then there are some "luxery" problems.

1. My car has buttons on the steering wheel. Is there a way to connect these to the Pi gpio or some other method? If it's not possible or too complex, I would dissassemble the buttons. If GPIO is possible then that limits the use of a click on DAB/AMP in favor of a usb amp.
2. Buttons, ideally I would like volume buttons (preferably on the LCD itself). I think it would be useful while driving to be able to turn down the volume without having to use touch or your phone. A remote control would be fine I guess, as it would be possible to use it without looking at it.

There is another way to go about this. I haven't been able to find one, but an actual car computer, that has the LCD and radio. But which also has an extra HDMI port. You could connect the Pi via aux and have it switch to the other video output with a button click.

Let me know what you think and if you've made any progress.

Return to “Other projects”