Vennt

Case for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 pm

So I have received my Pi 2, but I need a case :)

I originally ordered a black enclosure for the B+ from RS with the Pi 2, but it wasn't delivered with the board and when I contacted them they said they had cancelled the order for the case as they had had reports that there was problems with the case fitting the new model and so have removed it from both my order and the website.

This *wasn't* the Pibow case, so I was surprised at this as I thought that the B+ cases should be fine for the new model, but reports that another case doesn't fit has me worried about ordering a case without knowing for sure that it will fit.

The case I ordered from RS was identical to this case, which doesn't look like it would be problematic but multiple reports to RS and similar reports to users at Reddit make the issue hard to ignore.

What cases are confirmed to be OK for the Pi 2? - Specifically one in the UK, under £10 and with enough clearance to allow the fitting of a Pi Hut heat-sink on the processor, availability on Amazon also a plus.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Case for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:13 pm

it's a little out of your price range but the flirc case works fine and has builtin heatsink too (although not perfect as it over the B+ soc position )

from what Paul Beech of Pimoroni has said Pibows are ok for the Pi2 except the coupe which will if bought recently otherwise you'll need a new layer 3 which they will send you if you email their support

Vennt

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 am

That FLIRC case is gorgeous, and definitely on the shortlist for the future.

gordon77

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:35 am

"The case I ordered from RS was identical to this case, "

I hope this case fits l've just received 2 and assumed it would fit the pi2 :roll:

nars

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:36 am

Maybe this helps with that black case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlBN0YmZWr4

tpylkko

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:52 am

Since http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibow-coupe says:
Note: We've redesigned Pibow to be compatible with both the Raspberry Pi 2 and B+. Due to changes in the layout of the power circuitry on the Raspberry Pi 2 layer 3 has had to be revised - older Pibows (one's with a B+ label) will not work with Raspberry Pi 2!
I wonder if there is some simple modification that could be done to older plastic cases to allow them to fit?

nars

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 am

Try searching on Youtube for "B+ to PI2 case modification", think it is the case OP mentioned. I did tried to post the youtube url but seems the forum thinks I'm a spammer, probably as I just registered on the forum today also :)

Vennt

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Perfect, if that's all it takes then yeah, case ordered!

Thanks nars.

Although now I still want a FLIRC case, damn you ukscone! :P

Something to add to my birthday prezzy list :P

respOnder

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:21 pm

This case fits the Raspberry Pi 2 and B+ Image

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hamm ... kabglq0%3d

This base also works with the RPi 2, B, B+, A+. It's a mounting platform that doesn't have a cover, but holds the boards from moving around. You can also attach Legos to the bottom!

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hamm ... UAO6ILk%3d

TheBossNerdGamer

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:12 pm

How about some simple LEGO models/cases
Lego makes you have so many different varieties :geek:
And it is and looks awesome!!! :idea:

killor

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello everyone!!
I bet, for a more sustainable line... :mrgreen:

Compatible with Raspberry Pi 2 model B V1.1 and B+ computer motherboard.
raspberry pi2.jpg
Raspberry Pi 2 wood enclosure
raspberry pi2.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 27288 times
Made of birch plywood this case keeps the Pi secure, has a hinged top for connector access, and even has little feet cut into the sides so that it stands up above your desk.

You can use all of the connectors on the edges of the Pi: HDMI, Audio/Video, microSD slot, micro USB power, Ethernet and the 4 USB ports.

There's also a cut out to allow a 40-pin IDC cable to the GPIO breakout pins on the Pi and pass it though the case.

For more advanced hacking, the enclosure is designed so that you can lift or remove the top piece and plug any sort of cables you wish into the breakouts in the middle.

The case is airy enough that no additional vents or cooling is required -
we tested the enclosed Pi over a 24 hour period at full load with no significant increase in temperature.
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I used a B+ cheap £3.00 case like this which now states P2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331356449543? ... 2749.l2649
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Montala

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Vennt wrote:So I have received my Pi 2, but I need a case :)
What cases are confirmed to be OK for the Pi 2? - Specifically one in the UK, under £10 and with enough clearance to allow the fitting of a Pi Hut heat-sink on the processor, availability on Amazon also a plus.
Hi,
To answer your question, one case which meets your exact requirements can be found at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L ... ge_o02_s00

I am using one myself, and the Pi 2 clips firmly into place, and I am using the heat sink you mention also.

It is possible to mount the camera module inside the case as well, if you so desire! :)

BMS Doug

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Montala wrote:
Vennt wrote:So I have received my Pi 2, but I need a case :)
Hi,
To answer your question, one case which meets your exact requirements can be found at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L ... ge_o02_s00

I am using one myself, and the Pi 2 clips firmly into place, and I am using the heat sink you mention also.

It is possible to mount the camera module inside the case as well, if you so desire! :)
My pi2 is also sitting in one of those. Remember to remove your sd card before moving the pi into or out of the case.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamieboii_

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

That case you bought will fit the Pi2. I bought that one form amazon that you put the link too and fits perfect.

:-)

dejant_9

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:13 pm

My solution :

I will try to improve a little bit the design..
(the marks on the bricks was left by my baby teeth..)

asteryx

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:28 am

You can easily modify the Pibow case for the B+ so that is fits the RPI2.
See this post:http://comoseresolve.blogspot.nl/2015/0 ... ation.html

TeaTime

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:48 pm

The Pi case in the photo is the one that PI Hut sends out with the bundle. I can confirm it does not fit the pi2 as supplied.

What I had to do was - using a stanley/craft knife remove the 2 lugs on one end of the base.
Remove the sdcard bridge on the side panel/body, Sorry on the base .
Increase the depth of the sdcard opening on the side panel/body .

To fit the Pi place into the side panel/body and fit the base onto that.

Works well and no other fitting/working problems.

duinoCases

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:13 am

Our duinoCase-B+ fits the Raspberry Pi B+ and the Raspberry Pi 2 B+ ...

http://www.amazon.com/duinoCase-B-Quali ... B00OFC0PSQ

These are commercial/military grade ... you can stand on them. :-)

We also have some optional rear panels for connectors and wire exits.

killor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi !!
Here is the last enclosure made for a client Rasperry Pi 2...
raspberry pi2_.jpg
Birch enclosure for Raspberry Pi 2 and B+
raspberry pi2_.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 20657 times
Also the case is adapted to Hifiberry DAC plus with standard version uses RCA connectors.

https://www.hifiberry.com/wp-content/up ... 00x300.jpg
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

amigaholic

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Vennt wrote:The case I ordered from RS was identical to this case, which doesn't look like it would be problematic but multiple reports to RS and similar reports to users at Reddit make the issue hard to ignore.
I have that case fitted - unmodified - to my Pi 2.

I *HATE* how fiddly it is to fit (and believe it would be equally fiddly when used with a Pi B+), but it does just about fit. I will be replacing it at some point, and I have my eye on the PlusberryPi case as a replacement (I want a bigger case that fits a whole bunch of stuff inside, to reduce the amount of cable clutter and external USB hard drives I currently live with).

However, if you wanted to use a heatsink with it, you will need to modify it - this is because although the size of the Pi 2 hasn't changed from the Pi B+, and neither have the positions of the ports - the position of the SoC is slightly different, and the OneNineDesign case is designed in such a way that if you used it with a Pi B+, a heatsink would fit, but unfortunately this case was not designed with the Pi 2 in mind and a heatsink won't fit in there on top of the Pi 2 SoC.

gjb2048

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

I have one of these: http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/cas ... case-clear and its great :)

Return to “Other projects”