Svartalf

Re: An update on "Raspberry (Sorbet?) Linux"...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:07 pm

There was a thread that discussed the prospects of a Raspberry PI specific Linux distribution, amongst other things a while back- I thought I ought to get everyone an update on my progress with the tinkerings I mentioned in the thread.

A couple of days ago, I got an ARMv6 optimized console based userland that I'm doing a bit of initial QEMU tinkering with on that I suspect would probably boot on the R-Pi. I've also got an X11 userland- but I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't work right except in a framebuffer mode of operation. I've started doing the work towards integrating the publicly provided patches to the 2.6.37 kernel to work with the board, but it's not been finished and validated that it'll build right within OpenEmbedded as an Angstrom variant. As it stands, the userlands are packagable as .ipk, .deb, and .rpm packages right now, though I've only done .ipk's.

So, all things considered, we should have something fully tuned shortly after they start selling the things.

emercer

Re: An update on "Raspberry (Sorbet?) Linux"...

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Great news Svartalf!

I for one am very interested in messing around with Linux for the Pi, what will run or not, how much functionality we can cram out of it (and on the other end of the spectrum, how slim we can make the distro without losing crucial functionality). I've been messing around with QEMU and seen quite a few funny bugs on Debian ARMEL (can't tell if they're caused by emulation, though). Waiting for further developments on your camp!

thom_thumb

Re: An update on

Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 pm

That would be great -- I would love to see OpenEmbedded support for the RPi. Please keep us updated, or post a link to your github repo.

sarnold42

Re: An update on

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:21 am

Not sure how much progress has gone on from the OP, but i forked meta-raspberrypi a while back and built an OS on top of it:

https://github.com/sarnold/meta-raspber ... mage-Setup

It's supposed to be a "light weight" desktop, so the xorg image recipe uses normal sysvinit (no systemd) and openbox/tint2. It seems pretty light and fast to me, even at 700 MHz.

Return to “Other projects”