Axolotl

Looking for a case for Pi with Wolfson sound card

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a Pi B and a Pi B+ with their relevant Wolfson and Wolfson / Cirrus Logic sound cards attached but I can't find a decent case for either configuration.

Can anyone suggest where I can get one ready made, or is it a case (excuse the pun) of building one from scratch?

Thanks.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

sav25
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Re: Looking for a case for Pi with Wolfson sound card

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm

+1 - Would be great for media centres, I'd certainly be interested. I'm not sure how many people bought this card though.

fruit-uk

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Mine is in a Multi-Pi Stackable as sold by ModMyPi, needs additional hex spacers for clearance

killor

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:34 am

Hi !
I make and sell enclosure for Raspberry Pi. (All models) from the beginning.

Currently I have made a model adapted to the wolfson audio card and
Raspberry Pi(old version) because
Wolfson Audio Card only fits the Raspberry Pi Model A/B Rev2 or later with P5 Pads, not the B+ version. :!:

I use wood laminate to make them because :

Birch ply is made from laminations of birch veneer and It is light but strong, among the strongest and most dimensionally-stable plywoods. :geek:

It is not toxic like enclosure made of ABS plastic.(bisphenol A, FREE) :o

A Chinese producers are not interested in making wooden case, only plastic.

If you still can't think of a reason to buy,
IT HAS STRETCHY WOOD! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? :lol:

Currently, sell on AMAZON (B00N1SICB2) and eBay websites..
IMG_0357_opt.jpg
enclosure wolfson pi
IMG_0357_opt.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
If you have questions:
  here I am "and the translator of google" ;) to answer them.
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

sav25
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:37 am

[quote="killor"]Hi !
That looks pretty cool Killor. Can you message me links? Not sure if you're allowed to post them here or not. (Probably allowed in the for sale section?)

Axolotl

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:52 am

Killor,

thanks, that looks interesting. How do i go about buying one? (Can you PM me with details?) (Sorry, just seen the Amazon reference, I'll look there).

Just one thing, there is now a Wolfson card for the Pi B+, so I guess you need to get back to the drawing board(!). What would be involved in modifying the case for the B+ version?

Wolfson was taken over by Cirrus Logic last year, and they have recently launched a modified version of the card for B+. It has a different layout of ports compared to the B version.

See here for starters:

http://www.premierfarnell.com/content/e ... rrus-logic

Cheers.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

killor

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Axolotl wrote:Killor,

thanks, that looks interesting. How do i go about buying one? (Can you PM me with details?) (Sorry, just seen the Amazon reference, I'll look there).

Just one thing, there is now a Wolfson card for the Pi B+, so I guess you need to get back to the drawing board(!). What would be involved in modifying the case for the B+ version?

Wolfson was taken over by Cirrus Logic last year, and they have recently launched a modified version of the card for B+. It has a different layout of ports compared to the B version.

See here for starters:

http://www.premierfarnell.com/content/e ... rrus-logic

Cheers.
Ohh!!!!,
did not know they were doing this new version wolfson Pi
Thanks for the link .. :!:
Now I need someone to publish the measures (PDF) of the new board to make a enclosure... ;)

PD: I just received an order from Berkshire, UK AMAZON !! :o

Axolotl

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:10 pm

killor wrote:
That was me. saw it, bought it...

I can't find dimensions technical data on the Cirrus Logic site.

How accurate do you need the dimensions? If you know the dimensions for the Pi B+ motherboard, I could probably measure my Wolfson card and tell you where the centres for the various connectors are in relation to the B+ motherboard.

sav25
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Axolotl wrote:
killor wrote:
That was me. saw it, bought it...
Love how the system works :)

Have you used the Wolfson much? What kind of projects do you use it for? I need to get started with mine, but mostly want it to record sound with camera module footage.

Axolotl

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:37 pm

I've just replied to your e-mail regarding the purchase on Amazon. I do need the Pi B version case, and also will need the B+ version with the new card if you can make it.

I am a beginner at this, I wanted to see if I can use the Pi to act as a substitute Squuezebox client to work with my existing PC-based Logitech media server multi-room setup. Logitech don't make the players any more so it was a big investment to switch to something like Sonos.

I read that the Wolfson was a good audio card to use. It was the audio outputs I wanted though, not the sound recording side.

I have got the Pi B working using the Wolfson card and "Squeezeplug" software that bundles the various drivers and Squeezelite client for Linux together.

The problem I have now is that I bought the B+ and new Wolfson / Cirrus Logic card to make a second player, but the Squeezeplug bundle doesn't work with it. I think there is an issue over drivers for the B+ card, and they aren't available yet in a form I can use. I don't have enough experience of Linux to start poking about with it yet. I'm more of a user than a developer.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Axolotl wrote: How accurate do you need the dimensions? If you know the dimensions for the Pi B+ motherboard, I could probably measure my Wolfson card and tell you where the centres for the various connectors are in relation to the B+ motherboard.
There's accurate details of the model B+ at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

royleith

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am

Camdenboss used to make one for the 'B' and I bought two of them. However, they are no longer in production and the hint from CPC Farnell that there would be a new case for the B+ and 2B (when Cirrus have support for the latest kernel) has come to nothing, so far.

I am watching Pibow as they seem to be producing layers for add-on 2B cards. There is nothing for the Wolfson/Cirrus card, so far.

m-h

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Axolotl wrote:I
I have got the Pi B working using the Wolfson card and "Squeezeplug" software that bundles the various drivers and Squeezelite client for Linux together.

The problem I have now is that I bought the B+ and new Wolfson / Cirrus Logic card to make a second player, but the Squeezeplug bundle doesn't work with it. I think there is an issue over drivers for the B+ card, and they aren't available yet in a form I can use. I don't have enough experience of Linux to start poking about with it yet. I'm more of a user than a developer.
Hi Axolotl,
I had similar issues but learned how to built the squeezeplug essentials on the Cirrus Logic supplied B+ kernel, and now got it running on the Pi2 too.
Google for Gerrelt and squeezelite to find the tutorials.
On the Element14 product forum Ragnar even provided a new 3.18 kernel.
Greetz Marcel

m-h

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:44 pm

killor wrote: Now I need someone to publish the measures (PDF) of the new board to make a enclosure... ;)
Hi Killor, did you get the info to be able to produce the B+ or Pi2 case that fits the Cirrus Logic Audio Card too ?

I am still shopping for a decent shell. but it is a niche market and not updated for the newer vesions.
Greetz Marcel

killor

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 pm

marcel-heijkoop wrote:
killor wrote: Now I need someone to publish the measures (PDF) of the new board to make a enclosure... ;)
Hi Killor, did you get the info to be able to produce the B+ or Pi2 case that fits the Cirrus Logic Audio Card too ?

I am still shopping for a decent shell. but it is a niche market and not updated for the newer vesions.
Greetz Marcel
Hi !
No, unfortunately Laser engine machine are broke and It has stood two weeks. :( up to now....

Today, I have been able to receive replacement from Jorlink and
I am finishing the overdue tasks.

In a week I'll catch up, I try to make a case for Cirrus Logic...

I have cases for Hifiberry DAC+ audio board, ready for sell in AMAZON and Ebay... ;)

Thank's

Return to “Other projects”