csaba2

Re: Rasperryphone

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Would it be possible to make a phone from this chip?
adding touchscreen wifi battery etc(using 1.27mm headers)

levarnaud

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I guess a tablet would be easier to make then, no cell chip, less space constraints... Also it could have educational purposes. Like "one tablet a student" campaigns.

alexandru.cucu

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 pm

You could add a 3G modem and use the 3G network for voice, but the Raspberry Pi does not have audio input so you should also consider a USB Audio device or it might be a Bluetooth adapter paired with your bluetooth headset...
Might need a huuuuge battery pack to power all of these :)

I agree with the tablet idea :)
https://launchpad.net/~alexandru.cucu

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:07 pm

There is no baseband built in to the SoC, so that would need to be added - not easy. There are USB solutions for 3G data, not sure about voice though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Montekuri

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Maybe you could use Ekiga - an open source SoftPhone, Video Conferencing and Instant Messenger:
http://ekiga.org/

obarthelemy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:46 pm

That would be a fun project though, building a phone, even if it's only an IP, not GSM, one.
Of course you would *need* texting too ^^ There used to be web-based services, I don't know if any usrvived.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm

The poor bugger is being released form a terrible servitude as a phone Soc. And you want to send it BACK?

Shame on you!!!

:D
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Svartalf

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on October 7, 2011, 20:02
The poor bugger is being released form a terrible servitude as a phone Soc. And you want to send it BACK?

Shame on you!!!

+1

emercer

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:31 pm

+2

csaba2

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:58 am

Wouldn't be possible to add a gsm module to it like this?
http://www.gsm-modem.de/gsm-module.html

csaba2

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:32 am

Quote from Jongoleur on October 7, 2011, 20:02

Shame on you!!!

lol

jamesh

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:43 am

Quote from csaba2 on October 8, 2011, 09:58
Wouldn't be possible to add a gsm module to it like this?
http://www.gsm-modem.de/gsm-module.html

Probably! Looks like that thingy is for adding connection to remote/inaccessible devices - an area which I think the Raspi would be well suited for.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

emercer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I just saw this on Lady Ada's shop and I thought this was the perfect thread to launch the challenge:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/330

someone should get this kit and re-purpose it as a RasPiTouch. It already has a charging circuit and battery pack to go with your 2.8" LCD and touchscreen, all it needs is a real processor (it has an Atmega32, but it's no better than an Arduino).

nullstring

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:39 am

You can buy android phones for ~$100.
There is no way you could make cell phone for less than that using raspberry pi.

emercer

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:50 am

I don't think it needs to cost less than a US$100 smartphone, after all, more than half the fun is in building the thing!
That said, I believe you can get quite near the US$100 figure... I know for a fact you can get a USB GPRS modem for under US$30, and a Model A should cost US$25. If we could somehow get a kit like Adafruit's without the Atmega but with the charging circuitry intact, it could, all included, cost around US$150 or less.

nullstring

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 pm

I guess my point is that there is really no reason for anyone to do this other than "Because they can"

emercer

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

I disagree. Having no reason to do stuff is a lousy excuse NOT to do it. Keeping your ideas trapped inside your brain when they're so easy to execute is doing a disservice to your imagination and to society as a whole: your idea might fuel someone else's innovation.

Juun

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 am

Have a look at this GPRS Modem: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12057 it has some great features: Audo chip on board to connect a headset and use it as phone, SMS, USB bridge on board, optionally the modem can directlly connected to the UART.

Deazdaar

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Heya,

I planned a similar project.

At minimum I want GSM / GPRS functionality for phone calls & text messages, LCD touchscreen and of course battery operation.

I already ordered this: http://www.mikroe.com/eng/prod.....ttm1-board which looks quite promising but on the other hand needs @ minimum 9V supply.

I received it yesterday and found out that with 5V supply voltage it still can drive the TM1 module. (The LM2576 has VinMin=4V).
The question now is the efficiency of the step-down converter and whether it still can provide enough output-power.

Writing software to control it will not be that hard considering the AT command-set and the RS232/SPI support.
MIC-In / Speaker Out is already on-board too, so the Pi-Software would just be used to control the GSM chip.

In addition, something like this: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10300 could be used to charge the battery + providing 5V supply to the Pi & SmartTM1 boards.

What remains uninvestigated is the need of some kind of "power-down-mode" for the ARM11 core and a wake-up functionality – "wake-on-call"/"wake-on-text", else the battery would be drained pretty fast.

Ah and btw.: Can anybody confirm or disprove the rumours that iPhone Touchscreens are compatible with the Pi's DSI connector?

Looking forward to your oppinions!

EricMiddleton

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:43 am

The iPhone 4 LCD screen (960x640) is compatible with the MIPI DSI connector on the RPi. (Schematic here). I'm not sure about the actual pinout of the display and such; you may want to watch this thread after the first boards get released and we all get to experiment with them. Also, that LiPo booster is barely able to power the RPi itself, so there is no way it's capable of powering the SmartTM1 board as well. I'm actually planning on using the same LiPo booster in my PDAs, but it really can't power anything except the RPi. Good luck on your project!

esbeeb

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I think a killer use of the Raspberry Pi is to use it as a dedicated IM/voice/video appliance. Kind of like a telephone on steroids. It only uses 3 Watts of power, so why not leave it on all the time? A cheaper monitor can be attached, and left powered off until either a call comes in (and you audibly hear the incoming call/IM sound from your connected amplified speakers), or someone in your house wants to make a call, or IM chat.

After many hours of trying out different SIP and XMPP clients, I think can point out the obvious and best choices on the Raspberry Pi. More here.

hammera

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:48 am

This is something that I was thinking about a couple of years ago when the Symbian Wild Ducks team started a project to build a DIY phone from a Beagle board (I was dreaming of a new Psion 5 type machine). Then came the Elopocalypse and the project died. Can anything be learned from the work they'd manage to complete? http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/w ... =Main_Page

Return to “Other projects”