dan_in_sd

precision Aluminum Case for B+

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 am

For those that are interested in an all Aluminum Case with tight tolerances for the B+, look at this one. Im getting one tomorrow. ;-)

http://lukse.lt/uzrasai/2014-10-raspber ... available/

Sweet case!

-dan
RPI #1: Model B | Over-clocked | XBMC | RPI #2: Model B+ 512MB | Beautiful metal case from Lukse.LT | RPI #3: PI2 with Camera, 64GB USB Flash and Wi-Fi

dan3008

Re: precision Aluminum Case for B+

Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:15 am

dont know if you saw it, but his first run went wrong, and he gave a pilee away (linkie)

I got one of this batch. and even with the modifications, its a strong, sturdy and pleasing case. Good choice :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dan_in_sd

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I just ordered mine.

I also have this idea of mounting the case flat on a machined plate of Acrylic ( plexiglas ) about the same dimensions as the case's bottom half. Perhaps have 4 to 5 mm sticking out in the front. Then use a Blue LED to illuminate the Acrylic. This would make only the edges of the Acrylic plate glow and thus surround the base of this case. ;-)

I think an Acrylic sheet 5mm thick would suffice. Should be very nice looking when its completed.

Edit: I could also use the "NeoPixel" ( an addressable RGB LED from Adafruit.com) to control the colour of the accent glow. I can then get the R-Pi to control the NeoPixel and have it change colour real slowly from red to blue to green and back to red. ;-)
-dan
RPI #1: Model B | Over-clocked | XBMC | RPI #2: Model B+ 512MB | Beautiful metal case from Lukse.LT | RPI #3: PI2 with Camera, 64GB USB Flash and Wi-Fi

dan3008

Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm

dan_in_sd wrote:I just ordered mine.
And you couldnt have ordered a better case in my honest opinion :) Its the best case I've ever had
dan_in_sd wrote: I also have this idea of mounting the case flat on a machined plate of Acrylic ( plexiglas ) about the same dimensions as the case's bottom half. Perhaps have 4 to 5 mm sticking out in the front. Then use a Blue LED to illuminate the Acrylic. This would make only the edges of the Acrylic plate glow and thus surround the base of this case. ;-)

I think an Acrylic sheet 5mm thick would suffice. Should be very nice looking when its completed.
Nice plan... between the top base of the case and the rest of it? Or to replace the base of the case?
dan_in_sd wrote: Edit: I could also use the "NeoPixel" ( an addressable RGB LED from Adafruit.com) to control the colour of the accent glow. I can then get the R-Pi to control the NeoPixel and have it change colour real slowly from red to blue to green and back to red. ;-)
-dan
this might help :) Its the only way I've seen of using neopixel's with the pi :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dan_in_sd

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 am

dan,

I was thinking of having the complete metal case installed on top of the Acrylic plate. And having the acrylic extend about 3 to 4mm beyond the case all the way around. Kind of a like a 'pedestal' type thing. Then modify the bottom half of the case to pass a single Neopixel thru. I may need to make "V" cut into the Acrylic with a sharp drill so that the light from the Neopixel can spread evenly throughout the acrylic. Connect the wires where they need to go and ... bob's your uncle.. one cool case that slowly changes colours. ;-)

of course, it just occurred to me that maybe I should make the edge of the acrylic rounded and 'frosted' , in other words 'translucent' instead of transparent.

TheIzzardKing

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:52 pm

anyone know how accurate the dimensions are in the drawing on the page that was linked too....

i'm really having a hard time finding accurate information on the B+, I'm modeling up my own case made from 6061 for my B+ that's in the mail and all of the drawings I'm finding are a bit crap to be honest, critical dimensions missing, stack up issues, ect,ect,ect...

anyone have an idea where i can find a "precision" drawing/model for the b+ board?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 pm

in the documentation section of course, its here in case you missed it.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md

TheIzzardKing

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:09 pm

thanks bud!

i found that one already, but i need a bit more information than what that provides, like what is the height of this thing overall, i guess i can dimension out the rest of what i need from the dxf... but the overall height is kind of important to making my box/case of it.

I'd be happy to make up some drawings and models of the case once I'm done for community use, but i also want to make sure it's done right and everything is in order.

thanks again for the reply and helping a newb out! cheers!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:49 am

most of the connectors etc of a PI are standard connectors, of which you can find their height, and other dimensions in their datasheets, or you could take a pair of calipers to a real B+.

dan_in_sd

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 am

IzzardKing: why not just get a case from the lukse.lt website? He has plenty left and im pretty sure you're gonna like it.

-dan

Richard-TX

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:most of the connectors etc of a PI are standard connectors, of which you can find their height, and other dimensions in their datasheets.

I do so love standards. There are so many to choose from.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

dan_in_sd

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:34 am

Well, the precision Aluminum Case from http://LUKSE.LT arrived today. And its very nicely made indeed. Below are some pictures.
See contact information in the OP.

I've taken the new case to my place of work and everyone agrees it gives the R-Pi B+ a professional feel. I think that anyone who gets this case will be absolutely please with it. It certainly does feels ruggedized. Almost as if the R-Pi B+ could now pass MIL-STD-810 testing. :P

Whats in the box:
  • The case upper and lower halves made from CNC-machined Aluminum with black finish
  • Eight 4-40 Socket Head Cap Screws
  • Chomerics? thermal pads for both the SoC and the LAN ICs. (note: it looks like one, but there really is two of them. )
  • Four foam rubber feet
  • A wrench for tightening the screws

Contents:

A picture of case with the R-PI B+ installed:

Another picture

-dan

Return to “Other projects”