Craynerd

School Classroom exit progress indicator

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:56 pm

I was in PC world the other day and on exit noticed a white pedestal, with three big faces on buttons :) :shock: :cry: - it was obvious without any words that you needed to press a button to indicate your opinion of the service/satification of your trip. I teach and it would be great to have something similar near your door and students push the button on exit: Happy - Straight Face - Sad - Confused. I would then like to collate the data so that it is grouped by time (so I know the clicks between 9:00am and 10:00am are lesson 1 - and produce a bar graph on a self serving webpage for anyone to access.

I`m pretty sure this is all possible but I`ve not much of an idea of how to do it. I`m not a timewaster - I`m a do'er and this will happen if anyone is willing to help on the project, I`ll definately make it over the next few weeks and CHristmas holiday if anyone is willing to give me some tech support. I build clocks for a hobby but electronics is also in there www.raynerd.co.uk to see my projects.

Look forward to your replies!

First step is getting a pi to count button clicks which I could probably do. I have interacted with the GPIO before when I built the school Pi Weather station. I`ve no idea how the info would go in a database though and be processed or displayed.

Its a worth while project and I`m sure plenty of teachers would be interested if I could get one up a running.

Chris

ame

Re: School Classroom exit progress indicator

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:18 pm

If your only sticking point is the database then I recommend that you ignore that problem for now. If you've already interfaced with GPIO then it will be easy for you to write a program that reads the buttons and writes the state to a simple text file. The text file will stand in place of the database, and in fact you may find it is all you actually need. Next, another program should trawl through that file and total up the clicks that correspond to the time period for each lesson. That program can output HTML directly, or just output a text file that you can read which summarises the clicks.

Once that is working then you can add a database or any other refinements you can think of.

I'd suggest the first step is a nice button panel (google for 'arcade buttons' for robust, large buttons), and pay attention to the Raspberry Pi date and time setting. The Pi will set its time automagically from the network, but you need to be sure that's working otherwise your collected data will be bogus.

Craynerd

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Hoping for a few more replies :?

toxibunny

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 pm

The first responder gave a good reply, IMHO. If you're still lost, then do what you said you could probably do - build something that counts button clicks.

- Then come back with more specific questions once you've got a basic (working?) device with some code to build on...

That sounds reasonable, no?

Edit: I'm aware that this sounds like an 'eff off!' post, but it's not meant to be. It's just that your question at the moment seems far too open-ended...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ghans

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am

It is like the one guy who asked if he can build a rocket himself.
A normal person would have said "propably" , "it depends".
We just answered "yes".

We can help much better if you have concrete problems , not
just a great plan.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

dan3008

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 pm

I was making something similar for a charity I was volunteering with, and then they sacked me "due to lack of funding" ... wait, they got rid of an unpaid volunteer, who wasnt even using the staff kettle (I took my own packed lunch, and only had cold drinks there) to save money... anyway now that rants over

I ended up with a 1/2 finished project that I didnt give them, IF i finish it, I'll drop you a message with build details
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

broo0ose

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 pm

I'd recommend looking at SQLite for the database. It has a major advantage of not needing a back end process to run. It's just some libraries that do all the work for you in whatever language you prefer.

There's a good intro here..
http://raspberrywebserver.com/sql-databases/

Return to “Other projects”