hockey_star_24

School Science Experiment

Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Hey all,
I have a science project going on at school and i need to include some kind of experiment.
I was wondering if anybody would have some idea's for a grade 8 science experiment using a Raspberry Pi.
Thank you, and any suggestions would help.
hockey_star_24

I am 13, in Middle School Enrichment Program. This was assigned by my Science Teacher
Last edited by hockey_star_24 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Re: School Science Experiment

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:29 pm

"School" and "grade8" may have different meanings in different parts of the world. It might be helpful to spell out the age and type of institution involved.

It would also be useful to know if this is being asked by a teacher or a pupil.

hockey_star_24

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Ok, I added that. Thank you
B.Goode wrote:"School" and "grade8" may have different meanings in different parts of the world. It might be helpful to spell out the age and type of institution involved.

It would also be useful to know if this is being asked by a teacher or a pupil.

tbd.pi

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Does "science experiment" have any bounds? If not, isn't the purpose of the challenge for you to use your imagination? I'm not trying to be difficult, but why don't you try sharing some of the ideas you've had so far and seeing if we can't help you out?

Arne Baeyens

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi,
hockey_star_24 wrote:Hey all,
I have a science project going on at school and i need to include some kind of experiment.
Is the science project around a particular subject? Teachers might like projects about stuff they just explained - or maybe you want to surprise him or her with something different?
I was wondering if anybody would have some idea's for a grade 8 science experiment using a Raspberry Pi.
hockey_star_24
For some experiments a microcontroller board (Arduino or Dwengo board) may be sufficient and easier to integrate in the project. Most simple experiments can even be done without any electronics... These boards are less powerful in terms of processing power but are more suited to physical computing (interfacing with motors and sensors).

A nice project (but maybe too advanced in the curriculum) would be a controllable centrifuge. Parts necessary: motor and controller, rpm sensor, some parts made in a FabLab and of course a RPi or other board.
Other projects:
- measure the acceleration of falling objects through a tube with reflectance sensors.
- measure the temperature of materials during the phase transitions and produce a nice graph.
- measure the movements of a pendulum with a sonar sensor.

Regards,
Arne

cyrano

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:34 pm

You could measure and log the electricity produced by soil bacteria?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Microbi ... f-Science/

Needs a Pi, an ADC (analog to digital converter) to measure the voltage, soil, water and a couple of homemade electrodes.

hockey_star_24

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions so far.
The science project has no boundaries. It just has to include a scientific experiment

nobbit

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 am

Maybe film nocturnal wildlife in your area?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=89769

What's your budget?

Return to “Other projects”