Bacan

Re: Kindle Fire as UX i/f for R-Pi via USB link or WiFi

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:34 pm

OK. Amazon is getting a splash of press this morning with their $200USD Kindle Fire tablet (KFt). Thinking about portable machines, or at least devices with multiple uses, I'm seeing how pairing these two together could work. First world school kids could potentially carry their books on the KFt, plus watch or listen to all the stuff they do anyway.

So with a battery powered R-Pi, and using a KFt for display and user input, aka UX (User eXperence), how do we get the two devices to talk?

First way might be just a USB WiFi modem on the R-Pi's only USBport. Plus special hosting application so the R-Pi & KFt will bind together without needing additional hardware platforms. This could be done with COTS hardware, and two apps. Down side is not using the R-Pi's video options. :( Oh wait! The R-Pi just became a Dual-Display, or is it Tri-Display system, depending upon what is connected. Oh, this is getting better than I first thought.

Or make a USB cable that looks like a snake that ate a rat. Where the swallowed rat is an embedded uP to handle linking the two devices together for point-to-point communications. Maybe this cable is already out there?

Just first thoughts on the matter. Software is always free right, it is hardware that costs money.

hippy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I expect the same idea will be suggested for iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Android tablets and phones and every thng else under the sun. It could all perhaps be done over serial or LAN though a wire-free solution would be better, Wi-Fi or BlueTooth or perhaps even infra-red.

The idea's sound, it's just doing it. The main problem seems to be finding someone who has enough understanding of both sets of hardware and both OS's to work out how and put the software together. Plenty of ideas as to how it could be done but few solutions forthcoming has been my experience.

obarthelemy

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:09 pm

I think it makes more sense to just go for a cheap, rootable/hackable Android tablet with USB and LAN/Wifi, dispensing with the Pi ?

Bacan

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Quote from hippy on September 28, 2011, 18:55
The idea's sound, it's just doing it. ...finding someone who has enough understanding ...] I'm that kind of person.

I see where the issue of what type of user & platform configuration comes into play. Another thread to start elsewhere. Have to define our models of users, level of experience, local resources plus disposable income.

I think I like this niche', R-Pi hosting a w/USB WiFi to other WiFi devices, could be very useful and profitable! My inner Tech Geek and Business Man seeking Profit just shook hands, and both are smiling!

One of my other clients has been looking for a platform to support his educational software, MIDI devices needs and a (HD)TV display. This will be key to letting the players move about freely. No Wires!

Return to “Other projects”