redkcir

Re: Low cost school computer

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:37 am

I am trying to incorporate a keyboard and touch pad with the Pi. I have found a v072462as2 keyboard that is 34cm x 16cm x 4cm (13.39in x 6.30in x 1.57in).
I'm still looking for a touch pad to go with it. I think I can get it all in a pocket sized package about .75" thick. The keyboard right now is $10 in bulk and I am still working on the touch pad, though I may end up with a button to keep the price down.
My end goal is to have a computer cheap enough to give away to those in school to help level out the educational playing field.
This is a bit out of my league as I don't have the experience to pull it off right now. I do have friends who might help.
Anyone else out there working on a project like this? Maybe we can compare notes and each of us come out winning.

abishur

Re: Low cost school computer

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 pm

There's some similar-ish projects. I'm doing one to make an e-reader, but a major wall for me is attaching a spare LCD screen I had. Since it's LVDS that's 30 bucks just so I can interface with it :(
There's also a group looking to make a portable game device. The three projects will each have to overcome the same hurdles:

Attaching the screen
Charging the batteries
Designing an attractive case (which by my definition means, a case whose corners couldn't double as a weapon)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “Other projects”