kmillar82

project for alzheimer's

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 am

hi all,

I recently stumbled on a thread for a project aimed at an elderly person with alzheimers. I had already been thinking about a project for my grandmother.

She will not touch any electronics, but they have internet at the house cause my grampa uses a laptop. Anyways, shes always in the kitchen, and she cant remember much about whats going on for that day, so I wanted to come up with something I can leave on the window sill over the kitchen sink, and she will see it, and it will have basic info for the day (time,date,etc), as well as me being able to leave memos and stuff. I have a VPS and was thinking of hosting the site on it, so I could make changes easily, but I though maybe it would be simpler to just host the site right on the Pi.

So, I am asking for suggestions about monitoring and leaving updates, and eventually I would like to add some interactive functionality by maybe just adding 2 buttons to start of with, Yes/No type of thing and eventually adding maybe a just a simple VOIP client with some presets.

This is what I have so far,

I used minibian and installed TFT modules and framebuffer support, and used a 2.2" tft screen that I had laying around, if im happy with the outcome I will get a larger display. The Pi is connected to wifi, and I just use ssh.

-openbox
-chromium for kiosk mode
-nginx

Thanks

KenT

Re: project for alzheimer's

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 am

Peter Van Nes has produced this using my Pi Presents. I haven't use it myself but I think its a great idea and may suit you.

http://www.reddipped.com/2014/06/grandp ... y-channel/
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

kmillar82

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

yes, that looks really good, I just don't know anything about python and it scares me off a bit, but the idea with how it gets updates by fetching emails was a solution I had been thinking.

Thanks

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 am

A Makey Makey kit may add a minamalist input.

Just an idea. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

kmillar82

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 am

Jim JKla wrote:A Makey Makey kit may add a minamalist input.

Just an idea. ;)
Makey Makey?

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

Sorry should have added the link.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/makey-makey-kit-n71nr
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

joan

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

I'd start off with a slide show of her family. I don't know how to do that on the Pi as I use it headless.

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 am

That's extremely expensive @ £50 (for a device that sells for $50 from it's inventors). Even at $50 it's expensive.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 am

Accepted it's a quick link to an explanation of what Makey Makey is, as you say there are other cheaper sources.

Even at that price it's not a solution thats going to break the bank and It has to be a valid route to explore.

kmillar82

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

thanks for the responses,

I guess my main objective was something that she didn't have to interact with. Just because I know where her mind is, at different times of the day, so I could just leave almost like "post it notes" that will cycle with a few other screens that contain simple info like time, date, weather, etc. Its just what way to go with software i'm unsure of. I'm following a blog right now that seems like it is close to what I need.

http://blogs.wcode.org/2013/09/howto-bo ... ser-kiosk/

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 am

If this is what your after then It sounds like the business.

Actually thanks for the link because this looks like it will do a job I am looking at.

kmillar82

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 am

Jim JKla wrote:If this is what your after then It sounds like the business.
what do you mean?

I've managed to get this running this evening on a 2.2" tft

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 am

I prevoiusly suggested the Makey Makey but since you have clarified what you were after then the option your looking at with the Blog looks totaly suited to your needs.

There's no underlying critacism I am just pleased you have found a solution that uses the RPi and just adds to the miriad of uses for the RaspberryPi. 8-)

kmillar82

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:11 am

oh, sorry I got crossed up, no I appreciate the suggestions. I forgot I have a few IR modules kicking around and a simple 6 button camcorder remote that I have already used with LIRC, and it worked really well, I might just incorporate it, since I already have it. :D

Return to “Other projects”