fodi

Deviating light of the LEDs?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Hey,
I have a question: I'd like to place my Pi in the case of a set top box (to have a hard drive and other things in one box) and I'd like to see the leds of the Pi on the front panel without the absolute need to place the Pi there (I'll be using extension cables to have all the cables at the back end).
How can I solve this? I'm thinking about using toslink cables (as it is glass fiber and leads the light), i just don't know how to secure the cables on the Pi with an ability to remove them (so no hot glueing) and on the case itself.
Do you have an idea? Or maybe some better one?
(Well I could use some ideas for securing the Pi inside the box as well, I have some basic ideas, but they are not ideal)
Thanks

jbeale

Re: Deviating light of the LEDs?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:14 pm

The TOSlink cable is typically a plastic fiber-optic with black jacket. It ought to work ok as a light guide for the LED indicator.

My experience with hot glue is that you can easily remove it, if you just use a little bit, one or two small drops to hold something in place- don't embed it.

You can build a removable bracket to clamp the fiber to the PCB, but that would take more effort I think. You could try a mockup with cardboard and see what you think.

Return to “Other projects”