kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Pi-Stack

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:24 am

Our Pi-Stack® case is also described as an "enclosure".
However it doesn't use Velcro pads that might damage the Raspberry Pi.
Currently available only on Ebay

Image

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Raspberry Rock

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 am

kdakin wrote:Our Pi-Stack® case is also described as an "enclosure".
However it doesn't use Velcro pads that might damage the Raspberry Pi.
How is the board held in place then?

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Raspberry Rock

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 am

The Raspberry Pi is held in the PI-STACK® by small non metallic columns that are hard to see and the top and bottom plates that prevent vertical movement.
There is very little contact with the Raspberry Pi itself and there is no material fixed to the Pi.
This is what it looks like ("gold" model). There are also "silver" and black models.
Image

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Raspberry Rock

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 am

Thank you for such a prompt reply.

It is a very attractive product which I feel is rather expensive compared to the cost of the Pi itself.

I know that good things don't come cheap though, and I am sure that it is a very high quality item!

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Thank you for your kind comments!
We feel that since the Raspberry Pi is such a wonderful product and offers such excellent value that it deserves to be shown off to best effect - irrespective of the relative cost. I think we have achieved our goal.

mkeeley
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Too expensive, not different enough.

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

mkeeley wrote:Too expensive, not different enough.
To make a statement like that it surely has to be not different enough to something else?
Is a Breitling watch different enough to a Gucci watch (they both tell the time !) or how about an Omega?
We make your own choice of products based largely on appearance and the quality of manufacture. If you are happy with both you are entitled to spend your own money on items that cost more than other items. My car has 4 wheels and an engine - does yours and is it the same as mine or different?

Is this forum for valid and fair criticism or simply for opinions?

sharpapotheosis
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 pm

If it does not come in contact with the pi much, won't this cause undue stress/strain on the parts of the pi it does come into contact with, particularly when plugging in or removing cables?

Also, does it stack? And how easy is it to get the Ethernet cable out? It looks quite blocked in, and difficult to unclip the little tab bit at the bottom of the connector.

Finally, I see mkeeley's point. For a case that expensive, it does look rather similar to quite a few of the acrylic cases out there (mine included, but then mine's a fiver). With regards to the watches, there you're also paying for a brand, which you don't get with this.

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm

sharpapotheosis wrote:If it does not come in contact with the pi much, won't this cause undue stress/strain on the parts of the pi it does come into contact with, particularly when plugging in or removing cables?
No
sharpapotheosis wrote:Also, does it stack?
Yes, that's why its called Pi-Stack! You will have to wait untill you see the follow-on products to see that though. Why would you want to stack multiple Raspberry Pi's ? Surely one is enough? The "stackability" is for our other products soon to be released.
sharpapotheosis wrote:how easy is it to get the Ethernet cable out?
Not really that difficult and anyway, how often do you want to disconnect it from the internet? A cable also has two ends. There is nothing to prevent you disconnecting the opposite end, leaving the cables in place on the Pi.
sharpapotheosis wrote:..it does look rather similar to quite a few of the acrylic cases out there (mine included, but then mine's a fiver).
I think the fact that many of the products are see-through (including your own!) is that the Raspberry Pi should be seen in all its glory, not hidden. Is your acrylic product constructed from robust 10mm flame polished acrylic and solid metal posts and, if not, might this account for its lower cost?
sharpapotheosis wrote:With regards to the watches, there you're also paying for a brand, which you don't get with this.
Watch, wait and observe!
Clearly you are a believer in the "Constant state universe" where everything has existed forever. I wonder if Léon Breitling was told he didn't have a brand in 1884? or Mr Guccio Gucci in 1921.

walleee
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

To be fair the pi hardly needs 10mm bullet proof acrylic and metal pins to sandwich it between said pieces of acrylic. I wonder where the additional £5 charge comes from for the 'gold' colouring, at that rate i'd think it's gold plated? :lol:

You could say that materials account for the price differance, or I could say yours is massively overbuilt and doesn't nearly justify the price, but that's only my opinion.

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 pm

walleee wrote:..."the pi hardly needs 10mm bullet proof acrylic and metal pins to sandwich it between said pieces of acrylic"
.
We did not try shooting the Raspberry Pi but I suppose if you did our product would offer some protection! However, it will likely be used in schools and will therefore handle some punishment.
walleee wrote: "I wonder where the additional £5 charge comes from for the 'gold' colouring, at that rate i'd think it's gold plated? :lol:"
Perhaps you should look at the prices of solid brass columns before you make these statements. The columns are genuinely 100% solid brass and quite expensive and it does indeed account for the additional cost. Gold plating can be arranged for an extra £8 or so if anyone is interested!
walleee wrote: "You could say that materials account for the price differance (sic), or I could say yours is massively overbuilt and doesn't nearly justify the price, but that's only my opinion."
Quite!, or you could equally say that some of the competitive products are somewhat fragile and made from quite thin acrylic material that is actually quite brittle! Making rugged products is a sound engineering principle (something Microsoft might like to emulate).

I could also add that this constant bickering over the rights and wrongs of various competitive products is somewhat petty (and not very professional). In the end, the customer will make their mind up based on both function and appearance and buy what they want at a price that they feel happy with and they can afford. There is nothing worse than the feeling of "buyers regret" following the purchase of a poor quality product.

sharpapotheosis
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 am

kdakin wrote:
sharpapotheosis wrote:If it does not come in contact with the pi much, won't this cause undue stress/strain on the parts of the pi it does come into contact with, particularly when plugging in or removing cables?
No
sharpapotheosis wrote:Also, does it stack?
Yes, that's why its called Pi-Stack! You will have to wait untill you see the follow-on products to see that though. Why would you want to stack multiple Raspberry Pi's ? Surely one is enough?
No! I want more! ;D
The "stackability" is for our other products soon to be released.
sharpapotheosis wrote:how easy is it to get the Ethernet cable out?
Not really that difficult and anyway, how often do you want to disconnect it from the internet? A cable also has two ends. There is nothing to prevent you disconnecting the opposite end, leaving the cables in place on the Pi.
How often? Every time I take my Pi somewhere or put it away.
sharpapotheosis wrote:..it does look rather similar to quite a few of the acrylic cases out there (mine included, but then mine's a fiver).
I think the fact that many of the products are see-through (including your own!) is that the Raspberry Pi should be seen in all its glory, not hidden. Is your acrylic product constructed from robust 10mm flame polished acrylic and solid metal posts and, if not, might this account for its lower cost?
Oh, absolutely, mine's a budget product. I'm just wondering if flame polishing is necessary: a product this small is likely to get quite a few bumps and scrapes.
sharpapotheosis wrote:With regards to the watches, there you're also paying for a brand, which you don't get with this.
Watch, wait and observe!
Clearly you are a believer in the "Constant state universe" where everything has existed forever. I wonder if Léon Breitling was told he didn't have a brand in 1884? or Mr Guccio Gucci in 1921.
Absolutely not. However, I do know you can't just conjure up a brand. You have to start with something very individual in the place it is selling to create a brand. To begin with a brand you need to really stand out.

walleee
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

so has anyone here actually bought one then?

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:07 pm

This bickering is really getting very petty and Pythonese!
I think it's time to stop the sketch!
If you cannot conduct yourself in a professional manner and avoid pointless and opinionated criticisms on this forum, I refuse to answer any more of your questions. The customer will be the ultimate judge and will probably disregard what are clearly intended as mischievous remarks.

walleee
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm

give over, I have no need to be 'professional' as I am simply a (prospective) 'customer.' You on the other hand do have a need, yet you continue to bicker and be argumentative.

I was asking if anyone here had actually bought one so we could get an independant review.

I was rather hoping that you wouldn't post again and let the product speak for itself.

Customers will only be the ultimate judge if you actually sell any, otherwise all we can base our opinions on are you biased views on it, which is all you've given so far.

Seriously, if it was any good you wouldn't find yourself defending it so much anyway.

I'm also finding it hard to articulate my disbelief at the contradiction that is, 'this will be used in schools, so will get knocked about' / 'price it as £25' (as if schools have money to burn) / highly polished despite previous point about getting knocked about.'

sharpapotheosis
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 pm

kdakin wrote: If you cannot conduct yourself in a professional manner and avoid pointless and opinionated criticisms on this forum, I refuse to answer any more of your questions.
Surely the whole point of posting on a forums is to get opinions and questions? Why else would you do it? But you don't like the opinions and you won't answer the questions, why? Simply because you do not like our opinions? I don't have a problem with that, but lets not be uncivil and call opinions pointless.
The customer will be the ultimate judge and will probably disregard what are clearly intended as mischievous remarks.
Quite wrong, while the "No! I want more!" was meant in a humorous manner (the Pis are excellent, and I could already do with two or three), nothing was mischievous. The questions (particularly the one about the Ethernet port availability) are genuine. I posted my case on these forums, expecting feedback, criticism and problems to come up that I hadn't thought of. And it worked, and my case is better for it. If you don't want our opinions, then I can only assume the original post was purely an advertisement?
Walleee wrote:Seriously, if it was any good you wouldn't find yourself defending it so much anyway.
Quite. The Ethernet port answer could have been left at "It's easy to remove the cable", and OK, that's been thought of and it's fine. The fact that you have to defend it with a "Well, my car's brakes aren't great, but who uses them anyway?" argument only serves to weaken confidence in the product.

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 pm

sharpapotheosis wrote:
kdakin wrote: If you cannot conduct yourself in a professional manner and avoid pointless and opinionated criticisms on this forum, I refuse to answer any more of your questions.
sharpapotheosis wrote: "Surely the whole point of posting on a forums is to get opinions and questions? Why else would you do it? But you don't like the opinions and you won't answer the questions, why?
It is totally untrue to say that I have not answered your questions. If anyone bothers to look back on the sequence of questions they will see that I have answered each and every question contrary to your assertion.
sharpapotheosis wrote: "Simply because you do not like our opinions? I don't have a problem with that, but lets not be uncivil and call opinions pointless"
Again, if you look back at my responses they have been civil and also tinged with a little humour to lighten the tone that was getting far too heavy.
sharpapotheosis wrote: "(Pis are excellent, and I could already do with two or three), nothing was mischievous. The questions (particularly the one about the Ethernet port availability) are genuine"
Yes, and I gave my genuine answers - it is not difficult to remove the Ethernet cable and, as I pointed out, even if it was difficult, you could disconnect the other end. I could have added a more elaborate answer involving unscrewing the top four screws (really easy) to get even easier access but since it is pretty easy to remove the Ethernet cable anyway I thought that was sufficient. The question was answered. It seems the answer wasn't to your liking however.
sharpapotheosis wrote: "I posted my case on these forums, expecting feedback, criticism and problems to come up that I hadn't thought of. And it worked, and my case is better for it. If you don't want our opinions, then I can only assume the original post was purely an advertisement?"
We are perfectly happy to receive valid criticism but to receive a barrage of criticism for our Pi-Stack case being "over engineered" or unnecessarily "flame polished" or similar appears to me to fall into the category of cheap competitive taunts. The case is precisely as it is and you can see it plainly. If there are any minor technical questions that are relevant - fine - they will be answered and have been.
Walleee wrote:Seriously, if it was any good you wouldn't find yourself defending it so much anyway.

If this comment is not mischievous I don't know what is! First, it deliberately suggests the product is no good and then 2) tries to pretend that we are in some way "defending it" (from your own disingenuous remarks) by answering those very same questions. And finally, when you don't appear to like the answers we give, you invent new and quite spurious new reasons to criticize it. When you don't like those answers you pretend we are afraid of criticism or don't answer your questions - both untrue. It never ends!
sharpapotheosis wrote: "The Ethernet port answer could have been left at "It's easy to remove the cable", and OK, that's been thought of and it's fine. The fact that you have to defend it with a "Well, my car's brakes aren't great, but who uses them anyway?" argument only serves to weaken confidence in the product.
First, my response to your question was "No" it is not difficult. Now you are saying I could have said instead "Its easy to remove the cable". Why? No was perfectly sufficient to say the same thing.
Then you claim that my slightly extended answer suggests that it was somehow a weak argument to say "No" followed by an explanation that if anyone thought it was a genuine problem (which I really doubt) they could try an alternative approach (actually two now, as I have elaborated above).

Car brake safety arguments are hardly relevant to the removal of a simple Ethernet cable and serves to illustrate the manner that the criticisms are deliberately escalated to an importance beyond their context and the quoted answer "who uses them anyway" thrown in for good measure to suggest we don't care about important safety issues. Quite mischievous again I'd say. "Over engineered" we can live with, although you admit that a school environment will possibly damage beautifully "flame polished" surfaces (so why bother? - it's only to for kids after all, it is implied). It all looks a very flaky set of criticisms to me.
The fact that you have a competitive product - that you would obviously prefer your potential customers to buy instead of the Pi-Stack - we understand perfectly well. What is hard to accept is criticism for the sake of "putting down" a competitor. Our product stands by itself and is well built, attractive and shows off the Raspberry Pi product handsomely. If you think it is expensive that's fine too. It was not made to a budget, it was made to a certain quality.

kdakin
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:19 pm

walleee wrote: ...."I was rather hoping that you wouldn't post again and let the product speak for itself."
I have been saying all along what you have just repeated above.
walleee wrote: ...."I'm also finding it hard to articulate my disbelief at the contradiction that is, 'this will be used in schools, so will get knocked about' / 'price it as £25' (as if schools have money to burn) / highly polished despite previous point about getting knocked about" '
It looks to me as though you think kids should not be inspired by attractive enclosures as well as ingenious and attractive Raspberry Pi's. Do you honestly think we should give them dull things to inspire them or give them less robust items because they will destroy them (more easily?) and then can be replaced (more often?) I think you may have a few badly thought out arguments of your own here!

I really think you should look at the response I have given to sharpapotheosis above
I think it answers both of your criticisms.

User avatar
ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4260
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Pi-Stack

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 pm

this thread is starting to degenerate so i'm locking it.

Return to “Other projects”