pleione

Re: Print and/or File Server

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 am

Currently fulfilling this role is my web/dev server massively overpowered, massively massive.

Wouldn't it be nice to run my Printer from a RasPi instead, 1W at full load? Sounds a little cheaper to run than 800W at full load.

On the file server front I fear that the throughput on the USB to Ethernet might not be sufficient for quick large transfers, but will be more than enough for basic file serving from a USB disk.

Hurry up and release the RasPi, my electricity bill for the current server alone will pay for the cost of more than one.

abishur

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Actually, with the max speeds of USB being 480 Mbps and the max speed of ethernet being 100 Mbps, it should work out just fine ;) Of course, if the bottle neck is the max speed of ethernet, then yeah, you'll have some issues. I need to check the specs of the LAN9512 again and see if it does any sort of QoS that makes sure the ethernet always has 100 Mbps rather than letting the full bandwidth get used by the USB ports....
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lob0426

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:11 pm

There is a thread where some preliminary test have been carried out. So far USB disk performance is about 20MB/s. Not bad but far below the theoretical max of 60MB/s. USB is processor intensive. So the ARM11probably is being pushed by the USB. Hopefully these figures will come up, with some tweaking. They still are not bad. More than adequate for most of our purposes.
See this thread for more info on tested transfer performance so far.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=499
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “Other projects”