OnionJack

Case alternative in the works

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Afternoon,

Let me first introduce myself, I'm Roy and I work for an injection mould tool design company.

I have made a preliminary concept design for an alternative to a case for the RasPi which would allow the holding and fixing of the board but allow full access to all the connectors.

This version of the 'clip frame' allows fitting direct to VESA 100, a smaller version without the side arms is also possible for projects where VESA fitting is not required. We do also have a clip together case in the works.

Depending on feedback, we may go into full plastic injection moulded production which would allow a much lower cost per item than 3D printing can currently allow.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Roy

OnionJack

Re: Case alternative in the works

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Nobody got any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? All input both supportive and critical is welcome.

HansH

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm

yes, good idea.
Its good to see that someone who has access to inject molding is posting here.

I hope you design/produce some fine cases for the RPi..

slimdan22

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 am

I like it a lot, i have been looking for a case that is open but is actually sturdy to hold the Pi in place

I also like the VESA mount option

hjongste

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:55 am

I like the open design. I cannot understand why people want to "lock up" their pi in a closed case. The 4 legs would avoid the cables to pull the pi in any direction. I would give some proper thought to the clipping and un-clipping of the pi to the case. Should be easy (both ways) but still not come undone whilst fiddling with the cables and the pi. Also this case seems something that can be produced cheaply. It doesn't make sense to have a case that is more expensive than the pi itself.

mkeeley

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 am

hjongste wrote:I like the open design. I cannot understand why people want to "lock up" their pi in a closed case. The 4 legs would avoid the cables to pull the pi in any direction. I would give some proper thought to the clipping and un-clipping of the pi to the case. Should be easy (both ways) but still not come undone whilst fiddling with the cables and the pi. Also this case seems something that can be produced cheaply. It doesn't make sense to have a case that is more expensive than the pi itself.
Pretty obvious why people use a closed case. This looks good if, for some reason, you prefer an open design.

OnionJack

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 am

Yes the Pi would be held in place with clips that would allow it to be also removed from the frame and will be secure enough to hold the board in place while cables are plugged in and out.

I'll post another pic later today that's a bit bigger so you can see a bit more detail. Though the clips that are on the concept model are not the ones that would be on the final version.

Any more input people?

E

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

I like the idea, but I's be a bit wary of it being completely open behind a tv/monitor. Maybe an optional lightweight clip on cover?

Steep

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Add some cable clipping points to the 'arms' ?

OnionJack

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I should be able to add an opening on the arms to allow say a cable tie to be used. Good suggestion. Thanks.

A cover could perhaps be an option at a later stage I could add some features that a cover could clip onto no problem at all. Then at least if a cover was to be made afterwards the facility to fix it easily would be there ready.

Here is a better pic of the clip frames; both types.

Re cost, I'll make some enquiries and see if I can come up with a ballpark price, but yes it should be significantly cheaper than any 3d printed case.

Roy.

OnionJack

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Hmm... I though the image would appear larger... here is a link instead.

http://i45.tinypic.com/feqdf4.png

Roy.

OnionJack

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 am

Openings for cable ties now added to the arms as suggested.

http://i45.tinypic.com/nwbvwk.png

Looks pretty nice in red!

Let me know what you think.

Roy.

hjongste

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 am

Looks great! Still a bit concerned how durable the clipping is. I know it is not the intention to continuously mount and unmount the pi. But still... Next question is of course price!! Any indications?

For the rest great way to hold the PCB down in a position where you can plug and unplug stuff.

NickT

Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

This looks like a nice idea. When using my Pi, I'm quite concerned about displacing one of the small surface mount components on the reverse side of the board. Given that there is so little land around the edges, how confident are you that the frame would clear these components? Particular concerns are R51 (under the micro USB) and the miniscule R31 in the opposite corner.

ashbash

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am

E wrote:I like the idea, but I's be a bit wary of it being completely open behind a tv/monitor. Maybe an optional lightweight clip on cover?
+1

OnionJack

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

The clips should be more than durable enough to allow for repeated clipping and unclipping, depends a lot on the material used.

I've had some conversations and at the moment we would estimate a cost of around £7.50 +p&p. This price could be less but it depends on estimated sales, tool price and various other factors.

I'm more than confident that the board will be able to securely sit on a ledge all the way round the board and miss these components... this is something I considered and measured when producing the concept model. We could easily put a gap in the ledge to miss these if it was ever needed.

As stated before, a cover could be made to clip onto the frame no problem, if the project starts to look more like going ahead, I will produce a concept model for that too.

Thanks for your questions.

Regards

Roy

kaos

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Very interesting. One suggestion: Maybe add a ledge or shelf underneath the SD card. This could both give support to the card in case it receives a knock, serve as guide for easier card insertion, and also add strength to what looks like the weakest point of the frame. +1 for the idea of an optional cover. Maybe made out of a clear plastic, so the LED's are visible? And talking of covers; in your images it looks like the frame has an open bottom. I suggest that it be closed. There is much less need for accessing the bottom of the Pi, and an open bottom means that you could fry it by putting it down on a screw or other conducting object.

--
Best regards, Kári.

furryface

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm just waiting on the link to purchase this ;) A very simple & elegant case solution!

OnionJack

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm

The final version should the project go ahead will have a filled in bottom which will provide support to the card area which you rightly pointed out needs it due to the thin section. I do like the idea though of providing a small lead in to help guide the card into its slot. This might also provide a location for banding too which at the moment, space is limited on the design to have any on.

I've had a discussion this weekend regarding the optional cover, and it seems more likely that if the project goes ahead, a cover would be moulded at the same time rather than at a future date so those who expressed an interest in it would be able to buy it at the same time.

I plan to produce a concept for the cover this week.

Roy.

Silas (son of Silas)

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm

I just joined the forum solely to reply to this thread to say I want 4 and would definitely be a customer.

EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Silas

Leo Rest

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I'd be interested in one or two if you can get the prices down to sensible injection molding levels. Problem is the tooling is going to cost at least a grand or two. I Hope you get enough intrest expressed to make it worth the investment.

dmroeder

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 am

I'm a little late to the party...

I think this is a fantastic idea. My co-worker and I were discussing the other day about how it would be pretty slick to have one mounted to the back of the monitor.

I'm also in the same boat as Silas, this thread pushed me into signing up (as I'm not a Pi owner yet). If/when they are available I'll be ordering one even if I don't have a Pi yet.

wibbler

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 am

Yep, I'd like a couple as well.

pygmy_giant

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51 pm

I'd buy one - your biggest challenge might be meeting market price expectations as people may expect it to be the cheapest solution available due to its minimal design - good remedy for the lack of PCB holes!
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Nebuluski

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I would be interested in a couple of these as I am after something to mount my Pi using the VESA mount. Especially if it can be mounted between the TV and a mounting arm or plate. As my TVs are mounted to the wall using VESA mounts.

As I want to use the Pi as a Home Theatre PC, using Raspbmc.

Great idea!!

Return to “Other projects”