willrandship

Re: Making the auto-partition script

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

On the "remaining tasks" page I saw a request for a script that would partition the sd card correctly. I am assuming a few things:

1. It has not been done
2. It is using bash (or just sh, which is the same basically) for scripting
3. Fdisk is available.

If any of these are incorrect, I would like to know, otherwise I should be able to create the desired script rather quickly, with an arg specifying the device.

Michael

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:06 am

Practically, one would either need an Alpha board and a fair degree of certainly as to the default distribution, or wait until the production boards are available before attempting the tasks - right now their main purpose is in capturing knowledge of things we'll likely need soon after the boards start shipping. But I commend your enthusiasm!

willrandship

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Well, since the partitioning script itself is pretty simple in concept (format 2 partitions, 1 Fat32 1 Ext3) I don't think it really needs a board to get done. Unless, of course, it was also intended to install the base software to run, but that would be something easily added into such a bash script after the fact.

No way would I attempt the OTG one though. That one definitely needs hardware access. Delay copy, however, seems to me like it needs some OS changes to auto-mount the USB in an expected place for the script, so it would need hardware access, to a point, as well.

I can't wait for november!

obarthelemy

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Experts advise to use ext2 on flash, to avoid journalling.

Return to “Other projects”