murratw

Designing a new case

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Hello,

I am industrial designer working on a small personal project in redesigning a Raspberry Pi case. I was wondering if anybody had any inspiration for me in my efforts. I intend to add some real functionality to the case while also making it look aesthetically pleasing.

I do not have specific cost or market in mind. The project is for fun. I intend to model in CAD and 3d print prototypes.

suicidal_orange

Re: Designing a new case

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 am

Here are some things I'd like in a case that I'm yet to find, if you make one that does them all I'd buy one :)

I've not seen a case which fits the Pi with the Wolfson audio card (which is tall and has external ports) so you could have a lid option that's compatible with it? Also there aren't many cases for the model A (perhaps with good reason, it is a very niche product...) so perhaps you could have two options of base as well?

It would also be great to mount a PiHUB on top of the case (preferably with it's bottom casing removed to keep the height down) and Ideally it would have a perfect length integrated cable to power the Pi, with the Pi end hidden to protect the socket while it's being transported and avoid accidental unplugging. This can't come at the expense of access to the GPIO pins though...

Talking of GPIO you could have an external header or mount some switches and LEDs on the side? Everyone loves switches and LEDs :lol:
pretty
I don't know about making it look good and being practical, as soon as you go away from a small rectangle you limit which ports can be accessed so I'll leave the aesthetics to you!

R1nzler

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Something with a camera in it would be neat.

chrisryall

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm

square hole in the top to access the GPIO … I cut mine with a Stanley knife

And something to keep the, safe. I use wine corks for all such things ;)

murratw

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Thank you for the comments. I look forward to any other comments. I plan to start making decisions on my direction soon.

geoffpalmeruk

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm

i would love to see a dedicated media case. Space for a 2.5inch hdd, a usb hub (powered?) the Pi and all the ports on one side. That i would buy!!!

Price would need to be no more than £20 sterling :)

Gary Littlemore

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm

geoffpalmeruk wrote:i would love to see a dedicated media case. Space for a 2.5inch hdd, a usb hub (powered?) the Pi and all the ports on one side. That i would buy!!!

Price would need to be no more than £20 sterling :)
See....http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 40&t=29667
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

geoffpalmeruk

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Yeah that has basically been stated that it is unlikely to go into production.

dan3008

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 pm

geoffpalmeruk wrote:
Yeah that has basically been stated that it is unlikely to go into production.
Unlikely? I think even mod-my-pi have abandoned it as a bad idea. Shame really, I do like the case design :(
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

geoffpalmeruk

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 pm

I would have loved having a case to hold it all together, thinking of buying a broken atv1 to make it

killor

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:07 pm

suicidal_orange wrote:Here are some things I'd like in a case that I'm yet to find, if you make one that does them all I'd buy one :)

I've not seen a case which fits the Pi with the Wolfson audio card (which is tall and has external ports) so you could have a lid option that's compatible with it? Also there aren't many cases for the model A (perhaps with good reason, it is a very niche product...) so perhaps you could have two options of base as well?

It would also be great to mount a PiHUB on top of the case (preferably with it's bottom casing removed to keep the height down) and Ideally it would have a perfect length integrated cable to power the Pi, with the Pi end hidden to protect the socket while it's being transported and avoid accidental unplugging. This can't come at the expense of access to the GPIO pins though...

Talking of GPIO you could have an external header or mount some switches and LEDs on the side? Everyone loves switches and LEDs :lol:
pretty
I don't know about making it look good and being practical, as soon as you go away from a small rectangle you limit which ports can be accessed so I'll leave the aesthetics to you!
Hi!
I made and sell enclosure for Raspberry Pi, Piface, etc. ..
from two years ago 8-) ...
I use my laser co2 machine.
You can publish these physical measures "Wolfson Pi" board
in the pdf in this forum so we can all help ...
I need a technician or sketches with dimensions in millimeters.

I will be happy to make a prototype case to accommodate the board.
Thank's :mrgreen:
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

murratw

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Which of the external connections are people using?

GPIO ?
DSI?
JTAG?
CSI Camera?

Return to “Other projects”