tskwara

CS Lens Mount for Proto Armour Case

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

A new CS lens adapter plate will be available later this month for the Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera case. This adapter attaches directly to the very modular Proto Armour case using included hardware. The plate provides a precise 12.5 mm flange focal distance between the lens and RPi image sensor, and includes a 1-32 UN 2B thread to accommodate any CS mount style lens. C style lenses can also be mounted but do require a 5 mm adapter ring to compensate for it's longer flange focal distance.

Note: The lens integrated into the RPi camera module must be removed in order to use an external lens. We will sell a modified RPi camera module as well as the tool necessary to modify your own RPi camera module.

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:
Attachments
IMG_5182.jpg
IMG_5182.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
IMG_5181.jpg
IMG_5181.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
IMG_5183.jpg
IMG_5183.jpg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
MobileApp Systems
Mobile Applications on a Mission

Makers of Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi
Explore Proto Armour / www.protoarmour.com

tskwara

Re: CS Lens Mount for Proto Armour Case

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 pm

The latest post on the Proto Blog is about the Raspberry Pi Camera Module Hardware:

Raspberry Pi Camera Module - Part 1: Hardware

This article focuses solely on the module hardware and what kind of video or images the camera sensor can produce. We’ll look at the standard module as well as the new NoIR Module just released by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. There is a way to use external lenses with these modules, and we attempt to explain how to do this safely for those looking to push the envelope. Lastly we review some case and mounting options for the RPi and Camera Module to help you decide which case is right for your next project.
MobileApp Systems

underclass

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I've been looking for the c mount case on the http://store.mobileappsystems.com/ site, is it available or is there an estimated date for availability?

tskwara

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:51 pm

We're still working out details of a fine-adjustment feature. The stack-up of all the tolerances involved suggest a need for adjusting the back focal length (BFL) of the system. The CS lens requires a fairly precise 12.52mm distance between the lens and sensor image plane.

Our current CS-lens adapter allows for +/- 0.010" adjustment from the nominal 12.52mm BFL.

For those wanting to try the adapter out, we are extending an offer to those already owning or wishing to purchase the latest style Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera case. The latest case (sold in May 2014 or later) is required since it includes reduced camera module mounting depth and improved axial alignment. Also included is an integrated feature that assists with removing the stock lens from the RPi camera module, which is required for using an external lens.

Here's a link to purchase the case: Proto Armour for Raspberry Pi and Camera. Simply add a note in the order requesting an evaluation CS-lens adapter. For those owning the latest case, just send us a copy of your purchase receipt so we can verify you have the updated version.
MobileApp Systems

raceconditions

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:01 pm

I was lucky enough to get one of the evaluation versions of the CS mount and it's fantastic. I'm using it to attach my PI and camera to a telescope. I had to remove the lens from the PI camera to expose the sensor, and now the telescope can handle the fine tuning for focus. The summer has been a bit too humid for photography, but I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can get some clear shots.

I've attached a picture of it connected to my rear camera port, and here's a write up of my hardware configuration:
NexStar SE Telescope and Raspberry PI
Attachments
20141031_115342.jpg
Raspberry PI Proto Armour
20141031_115342.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 3151 times

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:07 pm

nice ! looking forward to some pictures
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

memilanuk

Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm also very interested in this... I'd very much like to be able to attach my RPi to my Kow TSN-821M spotting scope and use it as a big 27x zoom lens ;)

I'd tried one of the generic mounts that clamp to the scope and allow you to position a digital camera or other device w/ 1/4-20 threaded hole, such as a Proto Armour case, in front of the lense... but the image quality still sucked pretty bad.

Return to “Other projects”