SuperLeigh1875

Is there any point? 3.5 screen

Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Is there any point in buying a 3.5 inch screen?

jbeale

Re: Is there any point? 3.5 screen

Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 pm

What is the pixel resolution? What do you want to do with it? Display status, view videos, read text, ?

3.5" diagonal is the size of many smart phone screens, so there's plenty of examples of that being useful for whatever people do with smartphones.

Of course if you want to do software development, I can't say personally I'd recommend it for that purpose.

SuperLeigh1875

Thu May 31, 2012 8:31 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/inch-Digital-Re ... 039&sr=8-1

Above is the screen I am looking at. In general, i would mainly like to view videos and read text but would also like to have a look at the educational side of the Pi.

theunit

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I have just ordered a very similar one from eBay.

Mine is for use on an RPi based robot I am building. It is just to give some visual feedback so will be fine.

I would imagine watching videos on it would not be too bad but reading text will probably be awful. Imagine reading text on your phone, that is the size you are talking of (or maybe smaller depending how good your phone is)

arm2

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm

I've been using one of these: http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... =VAR-35LCD
It has proved very useful to have it plugged in whilst I'm trying to test various DVI Monitors or HDMI to VGA adaptors. Sometimes the R-Pi is not recognising having anything connected to the HDMI so it defaults to Composite output. I can (with my glasses on!) just use nano to edit the config.txt file to change monitor settings, which saves having to power down the Pi and move the SD card to a PC.
I think the main use for small Composite screens will be when a Pi is used for control/monitoring applications such heating control when a small amount of info is displayed in large text/graphics.

Return to “Other projects”