FeersumEndjinn

Re: Virtualbox VM for the RaspberryPi

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm

One question - how can I get the VM to boot into console-only mode by default? in /etc/inittab I set the default runlevel to be 2 (most other distro's use 2 for console-only) as most of the work I'll be doing is via SSH, but LXDE still boots and it is unnecessary.

Cheers,
FeersumEndjinn
Morrolan / FeersumEndjinn

"And the lord God said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life', but John came fifth and won a toaster."

sylvan

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:02 am

I don't know why, but for some reason Debian (and Ubuntu) decided that run levels 2-5 should all be the same. It used to be that 2,3 were console with some slight differences in services started, and 4,5 were analogous but adding the GUI. So I fix it to not start the GUI in 2 and 3:

rm /etc/rc[23].d/S20gdm

should fix you right up. (It may be S21, I don't remember, but I'm fairly certain it is gdm, and is about 20 or 21.)

zebo-the-fat

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Downloaded over night, it didn't want to install at first.... then it just worked, not sure why!
I set it to use USB1 and set the network to NAT
Web browsing works fine, not had time to play with much else, but looking good so far!
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

designer43

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Worked like a charm.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Borg 1.0

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Russell, thanks so much for doing so much, so well, for so many!

I haven"t *nixed seriously for over 20 years, so I"m havin" a BALL! To give you an idea, my last install "distro" was for SCO unix, using 35 1.2M floppies! Ah, the bad "ol days... So it"s been a _very_ pleasant surprise to see how far everything"s come, and a _very_ steep learning curve, as you can imagine! So your handy RPi-in-a-can has been very much appreciated at every level! I"m even seeding the torrent myself, though the demand has been zero so far (I suspect I"m a long way, route-wise, from the rest of the world...).

I do have a couple of noob-ish questions, I hope you don"t mind me asking here... If you or anyone else with the bandwidth could point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

I"ve tried both VirtualBox and qemu 0.15.something, and VB runs absolute rings around qemu, which appears to be quite wrong, judging from your -and others" - comments.

FYI, I"m running on W7 x64 Ultimate on a Core i5 3GHz system with *plenty* (16G) of RAM, and otherwise it"s a fairly solid setup (dedicated swap and temp drives, for example, on their own spindles, etc).

I"ve tried all the obvious settings in qemu (different screen modes, different CPU types, more or less RAM, the usual suspects), but it still takes qemu 4-5 minutes to boot to a login prompt!

Do you know/think if this is normal for qemu under W7, and everyone"s just used to it being a bit sluggish on windoze, or does this sound unusually "sub-optimal"?

(I should note that I"ve installed the straight Debian distro on qemu, VB, and MS VPC2007 on this same system, and VB and PC2007 are almost identical in speed, while qemu plods along even installing in text mode!)...

Secondly, if I wish to have a go at installing all the gummixes (Scratchbox, etc) on a cleanly installed Debian distro, as per your extremely clear and detaile blog post, (translated for the Debian command-line tools of course!), is there anything you can think of that would stop me? (apart from my own personal limitations!)

Sorry if this is too open-ended and/or weird, I didn"t know where else to ask such questions without risking a great deal of derision...

In any case, thank you so much for the time and effort you"ve already put in, I promise you, it"s very much appreciated!

dh04000

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm

How and Can this VM be used for the R-Pi?

What I want to have is a server to store and retrieve files on my local network and away from my home, mounted as a network drive in Win7. I want to be able to set-up and control this server entirely remotely (as I don't have a usb keyboard) with Putty and bonus points would be the ability to stream music to my computer and my fiance's Ipod Touch.

Can this server be used for this?

Thanks,

dh04000

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Cephas Borg said:

I do have a couple of noob-ish questions, I hope you don"t mind me asking here... If you or anyone else with the bandwidth could point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

I"ve tried both VirtualBox and qemu 0.15.something, and VB runs absolute rings around qemu, which appears to be quite wrong, judging from your -and others" - comments.

VB & qemu are really two different beasts although VB actually uses qemu code in it. As VB only has to handle x86 emulation and can use hardware virtualization it will be a lot better for it's designated task.

I"ve tried all the obvious settings in qemu (different screen modes, different CPU types, more or less RAM, the usual suspects), but it still takes qemu 4-5 minutes to boot to a login prompt!

Do you know/think if this is normal for qemu under W7, and everyone"s just used to it being a bit sluggish on windoze, or does this sound unusually "sub-optimal"?

(I should note that I"ve installed the straight Debian distro on qemu, VB, and MS VPC2007 on this same system, and VB and PC2007 are almost identical in speed, while qemu plods along even installing in text mode!)...

To be expected especially if you are using qemu to emulate a non-x86 processor

Secondly, if I wish to have a go at installing all the gummixes (Scratchbox, etc) on a cleanly installed Debian distro, as per your extremely clear and detaile blog post, (translated for the Debian command-line tools of course!), is there anything you can think of that would stop me? (apart from my own personal limitations!)

Nothing will stop you at all, in fact I just did it yesterday when i wanted to check that everything worked as expected because of some Ubuntu quirks I discovered. The only problem is that installing guest additions to a debian install is a little more than a couple of mouse clicks. Installing Guest Additions on Debian

Sorry if this is too open-ended and/or weird, I didn"t know where else to ask such questions without risking a great deal of derision...

in the words of Alf "null problemo" If you need any help info then I am always on here, on my blog (comments or contact form) or sitting on my inbox. Although I can be a bit tardy in replying on occasion especially if it's nap time or elevenses.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm

dh04000 said:

How and Can this VM be used for the R-Pi?

What I want to have is a server to store and retrieve files on my local network and away from my home, mounted as a network drive in Win7. I want to be able to set-up and control this server entirely remotely (as I don't have a usb keyboard) with Putty and bonus points would be the ability to stream music to my computer and my fiance's Ipod Touch.

Can this server be used for this?

Not really. well i lie it can be used (apache2 and sshd are installed) but I would setup the vm differently and with different tweaks and/or software added/removed to use it as a network server and would probably just use a NAS or "real" computer.

mstrstvns

Fri May 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Missing the README from the download. Can you just post the README and username and password to the image somewhere googleable?

Return to “Other projects”