Mon May 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I saw some photos of RPi connected to breadboards on the GPIO head and I'd like to try that myself, but I don't know what kind of board to get. I was looking at this one which is similar to one I see at Radio shack but I don't know if it will connect. ... GEIGG4B1JT

Will this be enough? Do I need more other than jumper wires for it?

Re: Breadboards

Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 am

As a small breadboard it should do the job.

The only extras you would need is possibly a ribbon cable for connecting to the gpio itself and maybe a header to plugin to the breadboard.

Then you can connect to anything else you want.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 am

yes, you need a bandcable connector that can connect to the pinheader on the PI, then you can put wires in the connector in the other end of the cable, and connect them to the breadboard.

Initially I thought to plug in a pinheader in the breadbord, and plug the cable in that, but that isn't possible because it would connect pairs of pins on the PI's pinheader, and for example connecting pin 1 and 2 together is very bad news, as you would connect the 3V3 and 5V power supplies together, which potentially could destroy your PI.

Actually this is a bit unpractical way to experiment with the GPIO's of the PI.
There are some companies making special boards now for the GPIO of the rasperry PI's to solve this connecting up problem.
Companies like adafruit do: ... pberry-pi/

in fact the wiki has a section on interfacing to the GPIO's

A cheap alternative would be to use a bandcable connector, and strip off the connector at one end, and split the bandcable in individual wires, strip the wires, and tin them with a soldering iron, so that the ends can be put into the breadboard.

Another solution is to have individual wires with a female header on one end, (for the GPIO header) and a regular pin on the other end (for the breadboard) as seen in this video:
If you make your own put a small (100 Ohm) resistor in all the leads except the power and ground leads, this could help prevent costly mistakes.

Be very careful what you do, try to avoid making mistakes, like shorting wires together or mixing them up etc.

Thu May 31, 2012 1:35 pm

SK Pang do a very nice case, breadboard and jumper kit for about £15 - even comes with enough LEDs and switches to do something too. ... -1070.html might be a good place to start

I can see something like this being ideal for schools (via a board that will protect the GPIO pins)

Return to “Other projects”