MattLeach

Bluetooth Marketing Box

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm looking into Bluetooth Marketing to advertise deals to people close to my shop when I thought "hey what an idea for the raspberry pi".

You can buy self contained boxed which are essentially a Linux box with some bluetooth software that you copy a file to and then leave plugged in all day pushing out that file over bluetooth to promote your business.

I've been searching for a couple of hours now and can't find an ongoing Raspberry Pi project for this. Any suggestions would be great. I'm thinking something along the lines of:
1. Raspberry Pi with Raspian
2. Bluetooth dongle
3. Some open source bluetooth software.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Matt

ame

Re: Bluetooth Marketing Box

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:31 pm

MattLeach wrote:I'm looking into Bluetooth Marketing to advertise deals to people close to my shop when I thought "hey what an idea for the raspberry pi".
I thought "Hey, what an idea for a large sheet of paper and a thick marker pen".

I am sure your customers will learn to avoid getting closer than 10m to your shop for fear they will be bombarded with yet more ads.

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Matt,

People don't like to be spammed... so the direct "attack" will most likely be fatal for you (I agree with Ame).

You could do similar thing slightly different - you need to offer them something each time. I have two honey-things in mind right now:
* set up free access point (where the default web page displayed is your, with marketing material... but you have to let them pass it and visit any other web page)
* make something controllable in your showcase (eg. miniature model of landscape with a train) and allow people to control features with their phones, through your access point + web server.

These are two examples of "non-violent" marketing. I'm sure that you can get much better results this way...

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm

ame wrote:
MattLeach wrote:I'm looking into Bluetooth Marketing to advertise deals to people close to my shop when I thought "hey what an idea for the raspberry pi".
I thought "Hey, what an idea for a large sheet of paper and a thick marker pen".

I am sure your customers will learn to avoid getting closer than 10m to your shop for fear they will be bombarded with yet more ads.
You would be surprised at what people find appropriate. This idea is used IIRC in Apple stores amongst other places.

To the OP - there was a front page blog post on this some time back - try the search.

EDIT: iBeacon was the name I think.#

EDIT2: Actually, the article was on theRegister
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Douglas6

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:00 pm

For a basic introduction to iBeacon on the Pi, see Adafruit's tutorial.

@Ames and Ivan: Get used to it :) To be fair, for now I understand you'll need to 'opt-in' by loading an app on your phone, or at least enabling the service on your iPhone.

ame

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Douglas6 wrote:For a basic introduction to iBeacon on the Pi, see Adafruit's tutorial.

@Ames and Ivan: Get used to it :) To be fair, for now I understand you'll need to 'opt-in' by loading an app on your phone.
Oh, cool. Is this "app" available for a Nokia 8210?

mikerr

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 pm

The nokia 8210 is 15 years old, with no bluetooth....

ame

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:27 pm

You don't say!

mikerr

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Whatever happened to those bluetooth instant messages some shops sent out ?

(or am I misremembering bluejacking... where you sent a fake contact to another phone, with the contact name being the message
guess that's a no-go because hardly anyone has them set to discoverable anymore)
Last edited by mikerr on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattLeach

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:40 pm

mikerr wrote:Whatever happened to those bluetooth instant messages some shops sent out ?
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about but over bluetooth. I get what people are saying about spamming which isn't my intention. It would be useful at things like trade shows where these things are more common rather than spamming to the public on the street.

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi,
Douglas6 wrote:you'll need to 'opt-in' by loading an app on your phone, or at least enabling the service on your iPhone.
What iPhone ? 8-)

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.

Douglas6

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 pm

ame wrote:Oh, cool. Is this "app" available for a Nokia 8210?
FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES wrote:What iPhone ? 8-)
You guys are clearly not fulfilling your societal responsibilities as consumers. Don't make me report you to Big Brother.

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi,
Douglas6 wrote:You guys are clearly not fulfilling your societal responsibilities as consumers.
Well, being a consumer is not a societal responsibility... I'm treating it as a (bad) substitution.

This is the reason why my "spam threshold" is set very low and I'm not excited about this Bluetooth Marketing Box...

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.

MattLeach

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:13 pm

I love how this conversation is going. It started as a little Pi project that I thought might be fun. And now it's turned into a debate about the moral or immoral standpoint of "spam" or advertising in the current day.

All this in a time when people finish their day at work and unwind by sitting down in front of their in home spam box with a beer. I love my time in the evening catching up on the latest goings on in essex or chelsea only for short breaks in the program to find out what is available to buy at the moment.

Just saying.

jamesh

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:04 pm

MattLeach wrote:I love how this conversation is going. It started as a little Pi project that I thought might be fun. And now it's turned into a debate about the moral or immoral standpoint of "spam" or advertising in the current day.

All this in a time when people finish their day at work and unwind by sitting down in front of their in home spam box with a beer. I love my time in the evening catching up on the latest goings on in essex or chelsea only for short breaks in the program to find out what is available to buy at the moment.

Just saying.
:lol:
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Douglas6

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 am

All kidding aside, iBeacon seems to have some merit as an indoor location technology. There was another thread here regarding tracking forklifts on a warehouse floor; a Raspberry Pi and an array of cheap iBeacon nodes could do that, in theory.

tastyPi

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:42 am

Perhaps Raspberry Pi should be considered for “Wi-Fi Proximity Marketing”. As an example, a locally accessible (non-Internet) wireless network could be created to broadcast details of a house for sale (e. g., using zavvio wireless web server). As compared to Bluetooth, Wi-Fi could have advantages such as compatibility with standard browsers, more connections, etc.

zdoucha

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

MattLeach wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm
I'm looking into Bluetooth Marketing to advertise deals to people close to my shop when I thought "hey what an idea for the raspberry pi".
Thanks for any help or guidance.

Matt
Hello Matt,

Any news about your project? i'm working on the same project, i tried with arduino+hm10 but it was limited. and now i'll try using raspberry pi 3 B (with itegrated bluetooth/wifi modules)

Douglas6

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Eddystone beacons are a possibility. There are instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=938150.

Nothing you couldn't do with an Arduino, though.

Return to “Other projects”