John Public

GPS to work inside buildings

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I need to get the whereabouts of forklift trucks during the day.
GPS is great for that when they are outside.

The problem I am having when the forklift goes inside a warehouse and the signal is lost.
What kind of "backup gps" should be looking for while the forklift is parked inside and I need to know where.

So ideas and pointers how I should solve this.

paulie

Re: GPS to work inside buildings

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 pm

You might need a 'GPS repeater'.
From the OFCOM website:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforc ... repeaters/

That covers the licencing in UK.
I have no knowledge of pricing or what kit is needed for this - I'd guess it receives the GPS signals on an external antenna & rebroadcasts inside somehow.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 am

Hi,

Since you wrote question in this forum, your platform should be RasPi...

Next to "turn-key" solution with mentioned GPS repeater(s), you could use WiFi signals detected in the RasPi's surrounding to define geolocation. On Android platform this is one of two native positioning options. Some development is going on for Linux (wilocate, wifi-positioner, ...), so you could search/select them according to required features and your skills (eg. code build ability). This one takes more implementation effort, but usage is not limited to predefined locations covered with GPS repeaters.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

John Public

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm

I did a quick look at GPS repeaters. It is not clear whether a repeter will just report its position and not the forklift withing the warehouse.

scruss

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:25 pm

You're probably looking for something like High Accuracy Indoor Positioning (HAIP). Each forklift would need a HAIP transponder (based on Bluetooth 4.0), and inside the building you'd need a number of HAIP beacons. It's not super-cheap, but sounds accurate (claimed ~ 1 cm) and can be used for personnel safety and emergency response too.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

John Public

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 am

HAIP is too accurate - accuracy in this case can be +/-5 meters. What about RF inside the warehouse?

Twinkletoes

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:54 am

You could try looking at signal strength from a number of wifi base stations but you're likely to see a lot of reflections off metal in the warehouse. Tesco tried this on trollies but it worked everywhere except the tinned food aisle.

RH314

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm

GPS repeater doesn't work in your case. The rebroadcasted GPS signal, when picked up by the indoor GPS will only give static position of the rebroadcast outdoor receiving GPS antenna location, assuming indoors has no line of sight signal from GPS and only rebroadcast signal is received.

If you have access to speedometer pulse output from the forklift trucks, then look for GPS/Dead-Reckoning modules, dead-reckoning will provide continuous navigation in GPS signal denied environments for some time, deviation is in terms of several hundred meters per 10Km traveled. Examples are Trimble’s Aardvark DR + GPS, ublox’s LEA-6R, SkyTraq’s S2532DR.

Return to “Other projects”