cause4concern

Case that fits Adafruit 16x2 LCD .. and preferably more..

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:22 am

Hey let me just begin by saying I haven't bought my Raspberry yet, I'm in the process of learning basic electronics and how to solder right now, just bought myself a nice startup electronics kit.

However I spoke to the guy at ModMyPi asking about a case I really like, this one:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-ca ... lack-white

I realise this case is pretty small, fitting the raspberry, and then thats it, I guess. Are there any cases that fits both the raspberry AND the Adafruit LCD (meaning, the breakout housed inside the case and just the display showing outside)? I have already bought the Adafruit RGB Negative display, and I really like it so.

This is the display I've ordered already:
https://www.m.nu/adafruit-rgb-negative- ... p-885.html

And to push things further, the Gertboard seems nice too. Are there cases fitting all three of them (raspberry, adafruit display AND the gertboard)? Preferably coloured ones, I dont like the transparent ones....

Would appreciate input here, since I have nothing around here to even look at, raspberry isn't ordered yet, the adafruit display is in the mail and the gertboard is just a dream of mine.

Thx for the help guys

mrlinux2u

Re: Case that fits Adafruit 16x2 LCD .. and preferably more.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi,

I've actually had a case designed for several month's that should fit your requirements (for the adafruit display at least). I'm hoping to have in production over the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I've attached (a rather bad image sorry), showing you roughly what it looks like.

cheers

mrlinux2u
Attachments
ada-pi-side.jpg
ada-pi-side.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 9671 times
ada-pi-top.jpg
ada-pi-top.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 9671 times

cause4concern

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Well hey, looking good there, nice job man.

Would it be a hard job desoldering those adafruit buttons to have them moved someplace else on the case, you think?

rickseiden

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 pm

cause4concern wrote:Well hey, looking good there, nice job man.

Would it be a hard job desoldering those adafruit buttons to have them moved someplace else on the case, you think?
Shouldn't be too hard to unsolder them, but moving them to another spot on the case might be more difficult. You'd have to design some sort of custom circuit board to house them on, connecting it to the spot where you removed them, and then put the custom board where you want. You don't have to make your own board, you could use a protoboard to do the work, but you still would have to desolder, resolder them to the new board, and then run wires from the spot on the Adafruit display board where they came from, and to the new board.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

cheezyguy5

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm

I once saw a guy that took an outlet box, (the blue thing that holds outlet and you can get for $1)
Ground off the stuff on the inside of the box, put some wood in the bottom and the pi only took up half the space, then put in a really big battery, and screwed a piece of wood on the top, then he took everything out because he forgot to drill the holes...

lincolnbinns

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 am

How about something like this?

http://bit.ly/1eisTgb

The Lincoln Binns Team

cause4concern

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 pm

I got a standard modmypi case today and yes they were right, the board for the display does definitely not fit in there. Am I the only one who thinks it's a little bit odd there are no retail cases which could hold a display (with just the display showing) available? Maybe I'm the only one who think lcd displays are cool lol. I know I can special order (min 10 units) and cad or 3d print myself that is... Adafruit, are you hearing my request? ;)

Just an ordinary case, with a little more space on top. Maybe if I could have some local business cut out hole but that's not optimal either.....

Is anyone with me here?

pickle_pie

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 pm

I agree.

I think lcd displays are very cool too!

Would love an ordinary case, with pace for an LCD. I think it's *very* odd there are no retail cases.

cause4concern

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 pm

pickle_pie wrote:I agree.

I think lcd displays are very cool too!

Would love an ordinary case, with pace for an LCD. I think it's *very* odd there are no retail cases.
Hey pickle_pie, I just started attending an 4 month Autocad course, after this maybe you and I could start up a business selling beautiful cases designed for some of the famous LCD breakout boards LOL

But first, you have to agree that transparent cases are ugly. We can do them, but also black/grey/white/etc ones......... ;)

mrlinux2u

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 pm

For anyone with a Pibow case, I've also got a mod that allows you to fit the adafruit LCD display, again this is a design from last year, and once again if there's enough interest I might do a production run of them...

There's two different types, one has cut-outs for all the buttons and solder points, and the other just has cut-outs for the buttons, but has extra ventilation for the Raspberry Pi.

Price should be around £8-10 plus postage, if anyone is interested just PM me.

Cheers

mrlinux2u
Attachments
ada-bow-side.jpg
ada-bow-side.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
ada-bow-front.jpg
ada-bow-front.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
ada-bow-2-top.jpg
ada-bow-2-top.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 8880 times

cause4concern

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 am

Well this looks promising!

Question #1, those accessible solder points, what are they for if the display is mounted?

Question #2, the middle pic looks better to me but are there more pics? I don't really fancy those rainbow colours, but those are part of the case you have already, it's not the part you're manufacturing? But the color in the middle looks really Ok! Solid colours are cool!

I wonder if one could find a rubber piece to mount over the buttons to make it look really solid and professional! Maybe some local store could make one.

mrlinux2u

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 am

@ cause4concern

Glad you like the design :)

1) The solder points are how they came with my adafruit display, different people may trim them down, but I'm not sure.

2) I don't have any other images at the moment,as for the rainbow colours, they're the original colour scheme the pibow case came in - it's the top 4 layers that I produce, and they can be in any colour (I'll proberly provide clear, black and white for now as they seem to be the colours most people go for).

As for a rubber cover for the buttons, I don't have any plans for such an item (too much to produce in small qty's)

Cheers for now

mrlinux2u

cause4concern

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:40 am

Sounds really interesting, also about the rubber buttons, I saw adafruit sold those already.

Is there a protective cover for the display or is it just cut out for the lcd?

mrlinux2u

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm

There's just a cut-out for the LCD at the moment, but a protective layer could be added with-out too much problem (just another layer of clear perspex).

As for the rubber buttons, can you provide a link for them please?

Cheers

mrlinux2u

cause4concern

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 pm

No, lol. Sorry I mistook their tall tactile buttons for something else... Beginners you know....

cause4concern

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:23 pm

mrlinux2u wrote:Hi,

I've actually had a case designed for several month's that should fit your requirements (for the adafruit display at least). I'm hoping to have in production over the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I've attached (a rather bad image sorry), showing you roughly what it looks like.

cheers

mrlinux2u
Hey mrlinux
I have been looking more and more at this case (the one you showed in post #2), how is production going?

What would you expect it to cost incl postage to Sweden?

mrlinux2u

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 pm

They should be on sale @ modmypi within the 3-4 weeks or so - as for price - no idea how much they'll charge at the moment - but not too expensive, and as for postage to Sweden - again I'm not sure.

Sorry I couldn't be more informative at this moment.

I will have some of the Pibow mods in stock later this week via my ebay account.

cheers

mrlinux2u

mrlinux2u

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Got some more of these mod's in stock,get 'em while you can...

FYI,

The Pibow case mods for the AdaFruit LCD's are back in stock, they're going for £6.99 each with free delivery and can be brought either via PM'ing me or via my eBay sales :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151227558223? ... 1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151227564302? ... 1555.l2649

Cheers

mrlinux2u
Last edited by mrlinux2u on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Littlemore

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm

How thin can you get these cases?
lincolnbinns wrote:How about something like this?

http://bit.ly/1eisTgb

The Lincoln Binns Team
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

cause4concern

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 pm

No update here lately?

Check this case out (for the piface display): http://www.kiwi-electronics.eu/raspberr ... enboss-wit

Why can't there be a case beautiful like this one, but for the adafruit display? :ugeek:

Return to “Other projects”