Anubis

Re: My Design - Opinions?

Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm

Looks great put me down for one.

Any idea of time frame.....
....yes I know us raspi people are not supposed to mind waiting forever. :D

I think the removable pin idea would be good, also cut outs for camera header and GPIO ?

abishur

Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

One thing I noticed is that without a little prop on the side opposite of the SD slot it will tilt up ever so slightly. You might want to put a little prop there, or include a free standing piece for the individual to use themselves.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

sharpapotheosis

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Anubis: I will have access to the laser cutter next week, so should be able to start shipping then. I'll begin to actually take orders from about Wednesday or Thursday this week :)

abishur: There is a small prop for it, which you can best see on this album. On the open view, you can see there is a bar protruding from the bottom of the case below the USB and Ethernet ports. It sticks out about 2mm and keeps the Pi level.

sharpapotheosis

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am

So I'm going to begin taking orders today!

Case details: It's made of clear laser cut acrylic. It weighs ~66g (or ~120g with the Pi inside). It measures 95x71x33mm (DxWxH). Here is an album displaying the case in all its glory.

There are a couple of options. Firstly and possible most importantly I know quite a lot of people will want kits, so I am offering a kit version of the case. This comes with all the parts (funnily enough!) and assembly instructions. Note: It does not come with glue since I could not find a way of providing suitably small packets of glue at a reasonable cost (It came to about £2.50 per tube, which completely blew the price I wanted to offer out of the water). The ideal glue is tensol12 or equivalent, but polystyrene cement (I.E. airfix glue) will easily manage.

Alternatively, you can buy the assembled case.

Here are the pricing options:

Case Kit with 2nd class postage: £4.00 + £1.50 P&P
Case Kit with 1st class postage: £4.00 + £2.00 P&P
Assembled case with 2nd class postage: £5.00 + £2.00 P&P
Assembled case with 1st class postage: £5.00 + £2.50 P&P

I'm going to be taking payment through PayPal, but if this isn't possible, do email me and we can see if we can come up with an alternative. Also, if you order more than one case, postage drops slightly (or rather, it doesn't double)

So, to order, please send an email to joel_ferg_web[at]yahoo.co.uk with the subject "Raspberry Pi Case" including:
Name
Address
Number of cases
Kit or assembled?
Postage

Feel free to ask any questions as well. I will then reply with things like your order number and estimated delivery date and payment details.

Also, it is worth noting now that I am only able to begin manufacture on Monday (11th June) so if you order now, there will be a small delay.

HansH

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:18 pm

sharpapotheosis wrote:@HansH, I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you are saying will be a problem.
I mean that usb connector really sticks out, so if you turn the frontend , that usb hole should be extra extra wide.. But I hope you tried it out with a RPi board...

but is a really nice cheap case... hope you sell a lot of them..

sharpapotheosis

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I mean that usb connector really sticks out, so if you turn the frontend , that usb hole should be extra extra wide.. But I hope you tried it out with a RPi board...
Don't worry, thought of it ;) and yes, I've tried it out with the Pi in. Well, I use the case as a case :P http://i.imgur.com/RpXtF.jpg There's enough space for it :)

SN

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Question. Will they stack? If I wanted to put 2 or 3 in a stack I'd probably only use a single panel between pi's rather than the pair - would this work?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

piglet

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Please let me know when you're selling...

kayaker

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Looks great! Any idea what it would cost to to get a kit to the US? Since the kit pieces are flat, maybe shipping them in a padded envelope wouldn't cost as much as shipping a completed case in a box (?).

... Thanks! - Kayaker

chrisw2

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 am

piglet wrote:Please let me know when you're selling...
^^^^look 5 posts above your post^^^^ a post by sharpapotheosis on 07 Jun 2012 at 11:59
So I'm going to begin taking orders today....

sharpapotheosis

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 am

kayaker wrote:Looks great! Any idea what it would cost to to get a kit to the US? Since the kit pieces are flat, maybe shipping them in a padded envelope wouldn't cost as much as shipping a completed case in a box (?).

... Thanks! - Kayaker
Looking at the royal mail website, the total P&P costs to the US for a kit would be £4.50 (more than the case!).
SN wrote:Question. Will they stack? If I wanted to put 2 or 3 in a stack I'd probably only use a single panel between pi's rather than the pair - would this work?
They aren't designed to, no. They would line neatly up with one another, but without some modifications they wouldn't stack properly (locking into place).

Reider

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I merely said I was interested in here. Sharp still let me know exactly what was going on with the design, by email. When he was ready to start he again emailed me. I ordered and got a confirmation email for my order and to say he had received payment. I later got an email to say their was a delay and exactly why. Finally, only a day or two later, I was told my fully constructed box was dispatched.

I got it last Saturday. Really well packaged and good to see the postman couldn`t stuff it through my letterbox this time, though he did try. ;) :lol: It's an excellent 2 part hinge type design but with one long and one short side having the hinged action. The remaining two sides are glued in place, as are the lid and base.

I need to work on my RasPi and learn electronics, so I have another model that does this and allows access to all pins. But I also have the need to take the RasPi out and show people. This case leaves me with no worries whatsoever and I know the Pi is secure. The case itself has received quite some admiring looks and questions, even more than the RasPi. :? I will be using this case more when I put the RasPi on a wheeled platform with my arduino board and a Robot Arm. I know it will look great and be protected at the same time. With the design of the case hinge I can easily take out the RasPi when I need to so that`s a bonus for me.

A bargain at the price......

Steve

sharpapotheosis

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you like it :)

chrisw2

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Another review of sharpapotheosis's case:

I went for the ready assembled case (the mention of airfix glue reminded me that my airfix models were never up to much!)

Plus
  • Very good communication after ordering case
    Well packaged (mine did fit thru the letterbox)
    Easy to fit the Pi inside
    IMHO looks good
    Case gets no more that pleasantly warm, despite not having any vent
    Good value (especially if you self assemble)
Minus
  • If you want access to the GPIO pins (which I don't) these is no cut out (I imagine it would be easy to produce a variant with this though?)
    The cut out for the micro USB is a very tight fit for the cable I have (maybe needs to have slightly more clearance to allow for "fat plastic" micro USB plugs?)
Overall I'm very pleased with it.

sharpapotheosis

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am

Ok, so I no longer have access to the laser cutter I was using and therefore am no longer selling these cases. I've not been selling them for over a month now, and since all the people who ordered one have had them for that time, I thought I might release the designs. So here are the files for my Pi case. Scale wise, the length of the top piece is bang on 100mm. Everything should scale from that. The case is made using material 3mm thick, and works with MDF as well as acrylic (probably ply as well, though I've not tried it).

http://www.mediafire.com/?jpm9w09kxhhsha3 is a link to the zipped files.

Return to “Other projects”