mba

Funky DIY case

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 am

Hi all kids and crafsters :-),

Spending the holidays with the kids playing with their new toys and otherwise enjoying spending time together I found myself creating fusible bead boards with my five year old son the other day. These versatile little plastic beads are great for improving motor skills and the kids can spend hours creating coasters and other stuff. I found a couple of projects on the net where people had made boxes by interlocking square sections of beads together and I got the idea that maybe this could be turned into a case for the Raspberry Pi. After a couple of iterations it ended up like this
Its not a perfect fit because of the bead dimensions, especially the power connecter is a bit difficult to attach, but its ok and I think it looks very funky :-).
I recently made an Android based fusible bead editor called Bead Studio for the kids, its free and can be downloaded from Google Play. The box was designed with this tool and you can use it as a template for your own experiments and modifications.
Heres an export from Bead Studio which can be printed in 1:1 and used as template for your own box:
Rpi.png
Template
Rpi.png (51.98 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
I have attached a zipped board file (including a snapshot) unzip both files and copy them to the BeadStudio/save folder on the external storage of your Android device and then you can load it into Bead Studio and modify it.
save.zip
Bead Studio board file
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
I would suggest that if you don't need access to the pin header or the DSI connecter fill the holes in the lid with beads making it stronger. Another tip is when ironing the parts you must make sure that the beads are fused together properly but don't overdo it because the base can get too thick and impossible to assemble afterwards, next try to assemble while the parts are still a bit warm and flexible and if something breaks its possible to carefully fuse the parts together again using the tip of the iron.
Making the parts for the box is incredibly easy but I would rate assembling it medium difficult and I would suggest that an adult helps a bit with this part (including the ironing).

Happy new year and have fun making stuff with your kids :-)
Martin Bang Andersen
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

Douglas6

Re: Funky DIY case

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Very creative, Martin, and very Pi-like. Great way to get the kids involved. I like it!

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 pm

I just grabbed a collection and a board to build on, but it's not a square grid, it's a hexagonal grid with one row offset by half a bead from the row above.

So it's going to be an interesting exercise to transpose Martin's design from a square grid to my grid. I may need to take some measurements. I guess I could build solid plates then use a craft knife for the cut-outs.

Then the harder problem is the choice of colour, I'm thinking of pale green, green and turquoise and do I try to build a raspberry logo into the top or bottom plates.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

mba

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:33 pm

@Douglas6: Thanks! It was really fun making stuff with beads again, it must have been like 30 years since I did that last time.

@DougieLawson: Great that you have picked up the challenge :-), but I think you are going to have a hard time locking the parts together, unless you just glue it together of course.

Best regards
Martin
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

Return to “Other projects”