Smartybones

plastic resin

Tue May 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I was thinking about a cool case for my pi, and was thinking about encasing it in an acrylic resin.

There are a few issues regards keeping the ports clear, but not impossible.

Although acrylic is non conductive and should not really have any issues with it actually working. But I do have a concern regarding heat dissipation. I know the Pi does not get hot as such, but if the processor/ram is not open to the air, then maybe heat will build up enough for it to be an issue.

Has anyone any thoughts regarding the thermal properties of acrylic resin, would it allow the heat to dissipate or would i be better off just adding some heat pipes to the surface of the acrylic?...

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: plastic resin

Tue May 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Liz has said in the past that it has been considered, and it will NOT work. The problem was the differential expansion of various parts.

toxibunny

Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Solution:put a thin layer of flexible silicone on first, then the hard resin.

To be fair, Liz didn't say "It will NOT work", it was more along the lines of 'Hmm, the hardware guys don't recommend it, but if you decide to give it a try, good luck!"
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 am

Or to solve both problems at once, use a colourless oil and a radiating element. Fabricating the case would be the trick there.

felix123

Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 am

would love photos if you get it done

Sent from my A501 Using ForumTouch for Android

fodi

Wed May 23, 2012 3:28 pm

i saw an article before where a guy coated his complete pc with this acrylic stuff and it still worked (and was completely water resistant, he put a fish inside the computer :p)
however he did the coating slowly layer-by-layer (as with thin layers of this acrylic stuff the heat is not that much and in the end you can get a good surface)
i guess (but only a guess) that after a good amount of these layers you can go by thicker layers until getting the perfect size

cowpat

Fri May 25, 2012 1:31 pm

rurwin wrote: use a colourless oil and a radiating element.
snow globe! ;)

If this has come up in the past, apologies - i'm actually searching for something else and got distracted here - but why acrylic? Epoxy or polyurethane would surely take the heat better. Polyurethane resin is particularly durable. I cast a bike light in polyurethane when RS began distributing lumiled 3W LED's and it bounced off down the road a few times. You can machine it too.

Return to “Other projects”