I finally got some spare time to work on my case for the Pi.
I wanted a nice housing for all my spare HDDs, turn on/off HDDs I need, a NAS, a media centre and to learn something
- Raspberry Pi
- ATX-power supply, female adapter to connect some cables
- power on/off circuit by Mausberry Circuits (http://www.mausberrycircuits.com/produc ... own-switch)
- connected to a douple-pole switch, which turns on/off Pi + ATX-power supply
- Pi is running on 5VSB
- space for 4 to 5 HDDs (3,5)
- space for a dvd-drive
- 2 fans (80x80 mm)
WxHxD: 330x180x350 mm
Got really big somehow, but fits nicely into my Expedit shelf
- Multiplex 6,5 mm und 15 mm
- alloy angles 20x20x2 mm and 20x25x2 mm
- Chassis is finished
- ATX-power supply, HDD-rack, first two HDDs and fans attached to sliding plate
- attached first cables to female ATX-adapter
- green = ATX / Pi power on/off, black = USB-Hub power supply (5V), red/black = Micro-USB to Pi (on 5V standby)
- mill holes in front and back lid for Ethernet, HDMI, USB, switches, leds, etc.
- build attachment for the USB-Hub and Pi
- wire management!
I have a few questions about wire dimensioning, I am an absolute beginner in electronics..
The ATX-power supply uses 20 AWG wire. I dismantled a couple of 20 AWG wires from an old ATX-power supply...
1. Can I use those 20 AWG wire to power the USB-Hub? It needs 5V and 3A, wire length is about 15cm.
2. I am using a Molex Y-Adapter to 2 SATA. This adapter uses 18 AWG wires. I want to cut the wires of the adapter to attach a switch for the HDDs. Can I use 20 AWG wires for this?
Setup would be like this:
ATX (AWG20) -> Molex to SATA (AWG18) -> wire to switch (AWG20) -> switch -> wire to Molex to SATA (AWG20) -> Molex to SATA (AWG18) -> HDD.
I tried it with a luster terminal and an old HDD. HDD turns on, LED shines green, I am able to power on/off the HDD. But I am not quite sure about heat production and amperage...
3. Can I connect the different wire diameters? And how?
4. Inside some 20AWG wire is copper, but sometimes ?alloy? I am not sure. Can I connect those?
5. Do I need fuses somewhere?
Thanks in advance and I apologize for my bad english...