PhilippGeyer

RaspberryPi with stereoscopic vision

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a project where I would like to stream the immage of 2 webcams to a 3D FullHD gaming glasses.
With the one cammera the Pi has it works already ok, but I need two, so i wil need to connect 2 USB webcams.
How can I know what webcams are supported and whch are not?

Would a pair of thise work: http://www.amazon.de/Genius-WideCam-F10 ... weitwinkel

Cheers
Philipp

toxibunny

Re: RaspberryPi with stereoscopic vision

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 pm

The camera board and some sort of mirror/prism setup would give a *far* better framerate than 2 USB webcams, I've been led to believe...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

PhilippGeyer

Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:26 am

The setup has to be wearable on top of 3d glasses, adding custom optics will most likely make the setup to big.

Also the camera module I got has a to small viewing angle.

So I would like to use 2 wide angle web cams instead.
What FullHD webcams with a wide viewing angle are compatible with the pi?

Cheers
Philipp

BirchJD

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:38 pm

If you are using USB web cams on the Raspberry Pi, it's not likely to use the GPU to process the data. I have a feeling that one HD web cam may push the Raspberry Pi CPU to it's limits, I'm pretty sure two would probably be too much processing requirement for the Pi in HD.

If you are storing the captured video on an SD card then storing two HD feeds on a single SD card may also be difficult.

You may find you have to reduce the resolution or frame rate in order to achieve this.

If you need HD then two Raspberry Pi's with two Pi Cameras may be the best way to go.
http://www.newsdownload.co.uk/

PhilippGeyer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 am

My goal is to "stream" the two camera feeds on to the 3D glasses attached to the HDMI output, I don't intent yet to process the data.

What would be optimal would be to attach two PI cameras for example to one PI but AFAIK that's not possible, or is it?

Ravenous

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:12 pm

I've only seen one case where someone has attached two cameras (via a USB hub) - see his diagrams on this link:

http://earlybird.christian-fahrni.ch/informationen/

But he used two different cameras - I have no idea if it's possible to use two identical ones or not. Also they are in different locations with different views - so he will not be taking pictures with both simultaneously.

Maybe someone wil come along who knows how to do it. If not, perhaps you could use two separate raspis? If they are running almost independently and don't need to share much data between them, that might work. (I assume later on you're going to overlay information onto the images in some way, so some communication between the two would be necessary.)

PhilippGeyer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

I need to merge the two camera feeds into one 3D HDMI output, eider in side by side 60Hz or frame interlaces 30Hz.

The goal is simply to view the world with camera eyes.

vadim

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Anyone who has made USB 2.0 webcam work at FullHD in mjpg mode at 25-30 fps, raise your hand!
No hands? I thought so...

PhilippGeyer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm

hmm... that is not good..
So I will have to get some other board :/
What board can you suggest me that would have a HDMI out and would be small and power efficient yet powerful enough to stream two 30fps streams the glasses in 1080p30fps/eye mode?

Cheers
Philipp

Ravenous

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

You might be better off asking in the camera board forum,
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=43
...the regulars there seem to know more about HD and so on, and might have some ideas. What you're after might even be possible with the raspi at least with lower performance...

(My apologies if you've already tried there.)

Return to “Other projects”