Mikumiku747

Raspberry pi portable computer (Completed finally!)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am

Hello everybody,

After posting a couple of topics in this forum, I have decided that I should ask all of my questions in one place, so I have created this topic for my portable computer project. Inspired by the Pi-to-go, found here:
http://blog.parts-people.com/2012/12/20 ... rpi-to-go/

I have now completed building my raspberry pi portable, and even though it is bulky and not very cool, I'm happy with it as my first ever tech project. My technology teachers at school though it was kind of cool (I'm in year 10, Australia), and I'm hoping that you do too.

Full parts list:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 x NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 4.3" Diagonal[ID:946] = $49.95
1 x RCA coupler - Male to Male[ID:951] = $1.50
1 x Miniature Wireless USB Keyboard with Touch-pad[ID:922] = $49.95
1 x Large Plastic Project Enclosure - Weatherproof with Clear Top[ID:905] =$19.95
1 x Panel mount HDMI Cable - 40 cm[ID:978] = $5.95
1 x Panel Mount Ethernet Extension Cable[ID:909] = $4.95
1 x USB Battery Pack for Raspberry Pi - 4400mAh - 5V @ 1A[ID:1565] = $24.95
1 x Premium Female/Female Jumper Wires - 40 x 3" (75mm)[ID:794] = $5.95
1 x USB Audio Adapter - Works with Raspberry Pi[ID:1475] = $4.95
3 x Panel Mount USB Cable - A Male to A Female[ID:908] = $11.85
1 x Adafruit USB Power Gauge Mini-Kit[ID:1549] = $9.95
1 x In-line power switch for 2.1mm barrel jack[ID:1125] = $2.50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $192.40
Sales Tax: $0.00
United Parcel Service (1 pkg x 5.60 lbs total) (UPS Express Saver
(recommended)): $48.83
Total: $241.23

A little on the expensive side, but oh well, too late, I already ordered them.

Below are some pictures of the completed product.

PICTURES

The OLD plan:
I will use a 5v 4400mAh usb battery to power the Pi (switch on the battery), a TFT screen that can be powered by 5V (Take a VERY good look through the description on adafruit before you point out it wont work!) GPIO pin, and GPIO ground. Composite for display, and a USB sound adapter to get the 3.5mm jack out of the case. USB panels and HDMI and Ethernet panels will also be connected to the case. The IO will come from a wireless keyboard/mouse mini combo. Maybe I will provide a way to get to the GPIO from outside the case. The entire thing should be solder free, and even if something needs soldering, the Pi will still be removable. Any ports not directly accessible from outside the case will be made accessible via panel connectors on the outside of the case, such as the spare ports on the USB hub, Ethernet, HDMI if you want to use a large display, and the power connection for the hub.
That was the original plan, but you can see the design in the step by step tutorial. The tutorial is here: http://www.instructables.com/id/E11WYRSHO7XG3D5/
Last edited by Mikumiku747 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
Thanks,
Mikumiku747 :)

Have a look at my portable pi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59903&p=447601#p447601

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry pi portable computer (how original :| )

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 am

The worst thing about the RPi is the lack of USB ports (my laptop has four ports with an integral keyboard/mouse).

I always have a 4-port USB hub plugged into my RPi (it's not usually powered). Having a permanently connected USB powered hub would be a great addition to your case (regardless of the cost).
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Mikumiku747

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 am

DougieLawson wrote:The worst thing about the RPi is the lack of USB ports (my laptop has four ports with an integral keyboard/mouse).

I always have a 4-port USB hub plugged into my RPi (it's not usually powered). Having a permanently connected USB powered hub would be a great addition to your case (regardless of the cost).
I forgot to mention, there are 3 USB port panel adapters to take the 3 leftover ports to the outside of the case. Also, HDMI and Ethernet are also accessible outside the case. That's what the panel connectors are for in the pats list. As for it being powered, the jack for the hub is accessible from the outside too. No battery powering the hub however. Just for simplicity sake, as this is my first project. Good point though.
Thanks,

misho.petrov

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 am

A little proposal. In my first case project (not posted yet), which I'm using as a home theater, instead of Female/Female Jumper Wires, I have installed an old Floppy Drive IDE cable - it fits perfectly to the GPIO and is more compact. The only cons is that there are 8 unused female pins - 2by2 on both sides of the GPIO. But in my opinion this cable is easier to install on a case and connect an external/peripherial devices to.
1. RPi B 512 MB + Sandisk 2GB c4, vesa mount;
2. RPi B 512 MB + Hama 16GB c10, heat sinks, micro fan, built-in lead-acid battery, duplicated factory plugs, 4,3" TFT, usb mini wireless keyboard, TDA2822 and speakers;
3. RPi 2 + Maxell 16GB c10.

Mikumiku747

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 am

misho.petrov wrote:A little proposal. In my first case project (not posted yet), which I'm using as a home theater, instead of Female/Female Jumper Wires, I have installed an old Floppy Drive IDE cable - it fits perfectly to the GPIO and is more compact. The only cons is that there are 8 unused female pins - 2by2 on both sides of the GPIO. But in my opinion this cable is easier to install on a case and connect an external/peripherial devices to.
Great suggestion! Even though the parts are already ordered, I do have an old IDE cable lying around, I'll try using that and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll find a use for the jumper leads. I didn't know it was the right spacing. And the extra wires are a good thing, it's a surface to which I can mount the cable to the edge of the case. All I have to do now is find a way to splice the 5V and ground out of it. Are there multiple ground pins on the GPIO? Thanks for replying Petrov.
Thanks,

misho.petrov

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

Are there multiple ground pins on the GPIO?

BE AWARE This is ONLY for the revision 2 board.
1. RPi B 512 MB + Sandisk 2GB c4, vesa mount;
2. RPi B 512 MB + Hama 16GB c10, heat sinks, micro fan, built-in lead-acid battery, duplicated factory plugs, 4,3" TFT, usb mini wireless keyboard, TDA2822 and speakers;
3. RPi 2 + Maxell 16GB c10.

Return to “Other projects”