kevin34ct

Making a laptop

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 am

Ok so here is what I have, a Compaq Armada 4160t laptop and a Raspberry Pi Model B. I would like to drop the guts on the laptop and use the Pi. I can rewire the speakers to plug into the Pi and also allow the Pi to connect to external speakers. The main problem is the display. This is an old Laptop and only has a VGA out on the back. I need to know if I should try to get the pinout on the internal Display cable, or would the VGA out accept VGA in from the HDMI port since I can get an adapter. I would be keeping the video out for external display, or maybe make a switchbox to switch between internal and external VGA. Then the next part is converting the keyboard and touchpad mouse to connect to USB if that's even possible. Should I even try or just not bother? If I should try can someone point me in the right direction on getting some instructions.

vadim

Re: Making a laptop

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:21 am

I think you're on your own with this bold idea :) I smell quite a lot of soldering and kernel module writing. But good luck, anyway!

joan

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 am

Why do you think this is possible?

BobColeman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I did similar with a Liberetto 70CT but I just got a USB keyboard the right size to act as a drop in replacement. Then used a small composite monitor as a replacement for the LCD. The existing mouse I kept and but haven't gotten it hooked up yet.

samu8manitas

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm

i am going to recoment you a motorola lapdock, I use one to the project that you say and its very good battery, screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers and a 2 hub usb are in the lapdock

kevin34ct

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I only asked because of having this old laptop available. If it's going to be that much work I won't bother. I just didn't want to waste it if I could use it.

Return to “Other projects”