sparksthehuman

Re: [ALL IN ONE] Ultimate Raspbian - XBMC, Gaming, Desktop

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Not sure why I'm still posting here, but just hoping that someone will come along and have pity on me. Though I have been able to scrape along so far, it would just be nice if someone with actual experience could drop a line and point me in the right direction.
So last night, I was able to get wifi working on my pi. For anyone having similar problems: I had to first, connect it via ethernet cable so that I could update raspbian and install something called wicd-curses. This gave me a nice gui for turning on wireless and setting up my connection.
New problem! :)
I'm wondering why, when I play some movies in XBMC, I see the terminal screen flash up for a second... But that's not such a big deal. The real issue is that when I am playing the video, sometimes the little cursor "_" is sitting there at the bottom of the screen! I'm doing this on an old CRT, so that little white cursor will burn in eventually, and it's just distracting. Anyone got any ideas? Been looking online and found this: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=24398 But the suggestions don't seem to fix the cursor problem, but I will have to try tonight to be sure.
Again, if anyone reads this and deigns to respond, I'll be very grateful.

podge8676

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:20 am

can i ask how did u manage to get old crt monitor to work on pi im a noob

DRFoltz

Thu May 01, 2014 12:09 am

For wi-fi on the lxde desktop you can also use

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wpagui
which is used on Raspbian builds. Here is a post on how to set up a wi-fi AP also. (This guy used it for his CarPi.) http://raspberry-at-home.com/hotspot-wifi-access-point/

Now for XBMC I had to first install wi-fi network manager first from XBMC itself under the program add-ons I believe but I couldn't input or scan or anything. So if that happens go back to lxde open terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install network-manager python-dbus
(I don't remember if I put python-dbus last time but do it just to be safe)

When you switch back over to XBMC open wi-fi network manager add-on you should be able to at least enter your wi-fi parameters as a private connection. That's how I got it working last time.

I'll keep you guys updated as I go through and set this up again. I had some stuff running pretty good before but I weighed it down with a bunch of other stuff (minecraft, a butt load of roms, idk remember what all else) and eventually it became corrupted. It's recommended to run it off a pen/flash drive for best results. He's a post somebody helped me with to set up a pen/flash drive) http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76069

As for your problem with the blinking cursor though I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm not very experienced myself. I run my Pi through HDMI. I'll let you know if I find any other solutions to that though!

DRFoltz

Thu May 01, 2014 12:28 am

Hey everyone the guy who made this (takenover83) has been hard at work improving upon it and here is his updated project for it. It's now called UltraSlim. Maybe this new one will fix a lot of the problem with this older version! http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59590

Kameron1993

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 am

YOU ARE AMAZING! ive been trying to converge raspbian and xbmc for over a month and everytime my script would stop running i say screw it and start surffing the web to see if anybody else had the same idea and long behold there it is i tried it and works exceptional thank you

techsweeney

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 pm

is there a way for me to just boot up raspbian first then go to retropie?

ProfessorWoland

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 pm

I flashed the image to my 64gb micro SD and tried it on my B+ but it wouldn't boot :(

Black screen on my monitor and a solid red light on my Pi.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

spannernick

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:40 am

Hi I am having a problem to with the black screen,is there anyway of removing it so you can see the text like on retropie..?

My sd card is a San Disk Ultra SDHC Card 30mb/s class 10 32GB.

I have a boot menu that comes up in command line (Terminal) in retopie so I can pick which one I want to boot up..:D

1) LXDE
2) XBMC
3) Setup Controller 1
4) Setup Controller 2
5) Command Line
6) Reboot ES

If anyone wants it I can shear it,I got it from GitHub and edited it adding the controllers and reboot es it picks reboot es after 25 seconds.

Just looking at the image on my sdcard(I have linux so I can see it) in the rom folder there is no Sega CD and no Bios folder where the rom folder is...is this a older version then Retropie 2.3..?

Hookem

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 am

OK so i update my image through the sources tab, now like fifteen hours later its done and my usb snes controller wont work and all the apps are gone now. Can someone help me get it all back?

jportersan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:37 am

Hey I am trying to get this as a present to my Mother (She wanted it!) and is there a way to change the boot image to something more personal?

ceciler

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Has anyone been able to boot Ultimate Raspbian on their Raspberry Pi 2 ? I flashed both images on my SD card but it won't boot.

LordvanZed

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:00 am

I'm looking for a Raspberry Pi 2 Version as well. Please help us friends.

simwhite

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 am

I'm also looking for a PI 2 compatible version. Any suggestion? Thanks.

toontitan

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Is this image compatible with the LCD touchscreen displays?

I have the seinsmart 3.2 display, and it works with an image that already have the drivers included. there's also a manual approach to installing them but its a pain in the butt. (http://keytech.blogspot.com/2014/04/sai ... cd-32.html)

Any chance that if the image does not have these drivers, that it can be added so as to make the experience a whole lot nicer? Would love to build a mini arcade thingie, but am lost with the installation of these damn drivers HAHAHA

Return to “Other projects”