diggy

Re: VESA mounted DIY All-In case

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi all!
I got my self thinking. Soon we are going to have a great product at out hands. Since my first Rpi is going to be a media center to replace the "oh so bulky, with messy cables" handmade mini atx box, what better could happen to the Mrs than to get rid of all that :)

I am going to make a case for Rpi to be housed in a handmade VESA mounted case along with all the bells and whistles I want, to keep my Mrs from ever complaining again.

I've uploaded a draft of how such a case could be like:

First things first. VESA mounting holes are present in almost all LCD, LED etc monitors and TVs. It is the de facto standard for mounting the sets on walls etc (although different size variations exist).

Now to the designing part. For now I take for granded that Rpi will be about the size of a credit card (9x5,5cm). I also speculate that the connectors wil keep their place relatively to the ALPHA board. So Rpi goes to the top to have access to USB, LAN and audio ports as needed.

Bottom right is a AC/DC converter. This will be a common transformer-less converter to keep the weight and height low. (DANGER - Extra caution should be taken when interfacing to transformer-less converters as a malfunction to the circuit will send high voltage to the whole circuit even maybe the TV frame itself).

Bottom middle will be a IEC-320 3-Pin C14 Male Euro Power Chassis Plug (such as the one here ). This plug will power Rpi via the AC/DC converter and also the TV/Monitor set, using the cable previously going to the TV. Special caution should be taken to mounting the plug to the case since HIGH voltage will run through the cable.

Bottom left will be a cable ending to a IEC-320 3-Pin C13 Female Euro Power Plug (such as the one here ). This plug will go to the TV/Monitor providing power. Special caution should be given to mounting the cable to the case since HIGH voltage will run through the cable.

Middle: An HDMI cable will be connected and exit right at the bottom to be connected to the TV input. Since the HDMI input will be used anytime, even when changing the device Rpi is attached to, we don't care that the one end of the cable is inside the box. Most likely a very short cable (50cm) will be more than sufficient to reach the TV input.

4 corners: At the four corners there will be holes to be used for mounting Rpi case directly on the VESA mounting holes (MIS-D 100) of the TV. M4 thread screws should be used according to the standard. You can get there from almost any hardware store.

Idea. Maybe with a somewhat bigger case, I can fit in a small 4 port USB hub (its PCB I mean), hardwiring it to Rpi.
------
PROS:
You will have Rpi in a case! :P
If you use a wireless mouse/keyboard or a remote (check http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....#038;t=207) there will be only 2 cables coming out of the case and NONE coming out from behind the TV/monitor.

CONS:
You have no access to the Composite output.
Can't easily change HDMI cable after closing the case.
Pitfall. Actually the case cover should NOT cover the mounting holes, so that you can mount/unmount it with the cover closed. This can be dealt with carefull cover design. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS disconnect the power when mounting/unmounting the device.
EXTRA CAUTION needed when messing with high voltage. You should know what you are doing and properly isolate ALL high voltage parts.

What do you think?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 pm

This particular Mrs is quite attached to her desktop machine (it's a bit of a George Washington's axe - I've been adding bits to it and taking bits out of it for about six years now) - but I do take your point! Sounds very neat indeed.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

diggy

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Quote from liz on August 30, 2011, 23:46
This particular Mrs is quite attached to her desktop machine (it's a bit of a George Washington's axe - I've been adding bits to it and taking bits out of it for about six years now) - but I do take your point! Sounds very neat indeed.
That was fast!
To be honest, my Mrs never really had any problem with the cables/PC box on the living room. She did point out however, whether the PC needed to be there since it is used rarely just to watch a film and given the fact that I have two more laptops at my office room. (she likes to watch films at the master bedroom) :)
My hope is that I will revive the living room to be used for watching films, listening to music, browsing, occasional gaming, etc.

Return to “Other projects”