crazyteknohed

Raspberry Pi Geek

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Saw issue #1 in Smiths today and bagged myself a copy. Extremely pricey at 7.99 but I'm just well chuffed that there is a proper printed Pi mag on the shelves.

Looks pretty good having had a flick through earlier. Will post my thoughts once I've given it a good read... Also got the latest issue of Retro Gamer while I was there so quite a bit of literature to sink my teeth into!

ZacharyI123

Re: Raspberry Pi Geek

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

crazyteknohed wrote:Saw issue #1 in Smiths today and bagged myself a copy. Extremely pricey at 7.99 but I'm just well chuffed that there is a proper printed Pi mag on the shelves.

Looks pretty good having had a flick through earlier. Will post my thoughts once I've given it a good read... Also got the latest issue of Retro Gamer while I was there so quite a bit of literature to sink my teeth into!
Where did you find this?
Don't be mean, I'm only thirteen 8-)

vadim

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 am

WH Smith

mypifi

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm

more info at www.raspberry-pi-geek.com which is the linky on the front of my copy.

crazyteknohed

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Just picked up issue 3 from WH Smiths (it was tucked away with the Ubuntu/Linux magazines this time) and thought I'd give my tuppence on the magazine...

What I like about it is that it is written for users of the Raspi rather than absolute beginners; there's none of the usual OS comparisons or how to connect remotely crap that you always seem to get with the one-off magazine publications.

The articles and projects are written to a very high standard, seeming neither dumbed-down nor overly complex. The overall content of the magazine - of which there is a lot - does justify the high pricetag somewhat.

Cons are the DVD --- with broadband being so ubiquitous it is a complete waste of money and resources to include a disc containing OSes that can be downloaded from the RPi Foundation's website. I would also like to see reviews of RPi-related hardware and software within the magazine, for example the recent Fuze box and official RPi camera board. A news section would be nice too.

Overall I am impressed by the magazine and hope that it will some day develop from its clearly hobbyist roots into a more mainstream publication.

Return to “Other projects”