apples723

Raspberry Pi - Inside portable DVD player

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 pm

You may have seen my question a while back about putting a raspberry pi inside a portable DVD player. I took it apart and took out the dvd playing parts and fitted the raspberry pi just barley in there and put the a cable coming out for the usb hub and video cable as well on the other side and took out the hold button and poped out the power cable. Its a tight fit though. Well guess what it's done! It's been done for a while just haven't had the chance to upload pictures so with out further a do here is my raspberry pi inside a portable DVD player. I also add a switch and a little wifi extender(all it is a USB extender got it at the dollar store)
WiFi Dongle connected to the USB extender
USB extender
Switch to turn on and of the raspberry pi(there iligeial to sell now in the US(That what I was told by my grandpa who gave it to me)
What it looks like with the keyboard and mouse and USB hub (I don't have a picture of the final product all done and inside the desk the desk closes becasue the screen rotates the dvd player part is hidden behind the shelf and then USB hub on the right( will upload later))
Just it almost finished
Top view with dvd player lid opens(it does close)
circuit board with the raspberry pi
just another angle

What do you guys think?

DeanC

Re: Raspberry Pi - Inside portable DVD player

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 am

I don't think I fully understand... you made a Raspberry Pi case from a DVD player?
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

apples723

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 am

I put my raspberry pi inside a portable dvd player that functions as a screen and as a case

dan3008

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:44 am

Thats cool. All you need now is a fitted keyboard and you'll have a nifty little laptop :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

apples723

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks! took a lot of convincing from my parents to let me do this tough i think it was worth it.

Meudig

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:10 pm

This is a cool concept. I am working on my own pi build from a portable dvd player. However I am working on sollutions on how to use the lcd screen without the dvd's motherboard. If I find it to complicated I will probably just resolder the AV port and mount it inside the case. ( the dvd mobo is just a little bit bigger than the PI itself.)

Any ideas would be welcomed.
Nice build anyways :)

apples723

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Meudig wrote:This is a cool concept. I am working on my own pi build from a portable dvd player. However I am working on sollutions on how to use the lcd screen without the dvd's motherboard. If I find it to complicated I will probably just resolder the AV port and mount it inside the case. ( the dvd mobo is just a little bit bigger than the PI itself.)

Any ideas would be welcomed.
Nice build anyways :)
You cant take out the motherboard of the dvd player and still make the lcd screen work if you could post some pictures of what the dvd player looks like apart that and together that would be great and then i could definently help you I ran into the same problem i solved it by kind putting it in at a diffrent angle and if your good with a cutter you could cut around some of the plastic parts of the dvd player if thats still causing you problems

ordenrahl

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:56 am

Great hack!!

apples723

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm

ordenrahl wrote:Great hack!!
it works awesome

Return to “Other projects”