JCE85

Digital gauges

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello, im planning on using a 10" lcd instead of all the analog/mechanical gauges in the dashboard. No fancy graphics, just bars and numbers that show the sensor readings. First sensor name, for example ECT (engine coolant temp) OIL (oil pressure), then bar showing the value and after bar number showing value- Example ( ECT bar 85 C). I understand that the raspberry need a analog-> digital converter. And the sensors will be connected to the analog inputs.

How are the sensors electrically connected?
Other wire to ground and other to analog input?
Or other wire to voltage feed (5v dc?) and other to analog input ?
All sensors are linear resistance, so programming should be relatively easy.

Im a noob with programming raspberry but im familiar with electric stuff.

Thanks ;)
Attachments
LCD gauge.jpg
lcd gauge example
LCD gauge.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 3475 times

DaveTheWalker

Re: Digital gauges

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 pm

You'd do well to look into the OBD-II on-board diagnostics interface, and maybe consider looking at something like the "Torque" Android app for some pointers.

If you want to do it with the Pi, I think there are some other OBD projects on the go at the moment - have a search around the forum and see what you can find.

Good luck!
Dave

JCE85

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks, Well the "problem" is that i dont have a obd port. So i need to use own input for every data/sensor. The torque application is nice, but i need to get it working with the inputs, not OBD.

AndrewS

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

http://raspi.tv/2013/controlled-shutdow ... -cell-lipo shows an example of using an ADC with the Raspberry Pi.

peewee2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I have been thinking around OBD2 for some months.

I have a small aircraft, and want to monitor various engine params and display them to an LCD.

The Android Torque app is really good, I have used it in my car for about 2 years, it allows you to create a number of screens with multiple gauges, of course it expects to connect to a car ODB2 port ( via bluetooth). So if I can find a way to simulate OBD2 I can use a tablet for the display.

There is a package called obdgpslogger in the raspian wheezy build, it contains a GPS simulator that can be driven from a config file to generate fake ECU data. I am thinking this could be a good starting point, I am looking at an Arduino to accept the sensor inputs squirting output over USB into the PI then use GPSsim to fake up OBD2 and a cheap tablet for display, This would give a highly configurable system for around £150

SirLagz

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:01 am

JCE85 wrote:Thanks, Well the "problem" is that i dont have a obd port. So i need to use own input for every data/sensor. The torque application is nice, but i need to get it working with the inputs, not OBD.
The ECU will have outputs for some of the gauges so you could tap into the ECU loom to get things like RPM, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, maybe even boost
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Return to “Other projects”