cable2040

New Project.. Is it possible?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:36 pm

I've got an idea for a new project. I want to turn a raspberry pi board with camera module into an ip camera with face recognition built in. I already its possible to do face recognition using OpenCV with the camera module. But what I need is to forward the constant video stream onto another computer via a network and for the face recognition element on the raspberry to forward the alerts should it detect a known face. Now I know that you can forward the video stream from the raspberry to a host terminal using zoneminder. Which should solve part of the issue hopefully. But then there is the face recognition element. What I'd prefer is have the face recognition program on the pi but for its database of faces that it searches through to be on the host computer. Then when the pi gets a hit to flash up a message on the host terminal and hopefully trigger an alert on zoneminder so it can trigger external alert.

I know that sounds like a mission but I think it is possible if difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tony

jgreen71

Re: New Project.. Is it possible?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I would think your biggest problem would be bandwidth. You're passing both the live video from the camera, plus all the facial recognition data back and forth.

cable2040

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Well I calculate that a video stream of 1080p running at 30fps encoded to h264 would require 12 Mbps. The system will be on its own dedicated network running at 1000 Mps which I believe should be enough for the 3 of these pi cameras I hope to use.

cabe

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:50 pm

You should be able to squash that video feed down to about 4Mbps and still have it look reasonable.

Also the "easy" way is to host a web page with the video and then use the pi to update the status of the page for a "hit" or a "miss".

cable2040

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Ok say I get the pi to host a webpage for the face recognition and get it to update for a hit. Is there a way to send an alert to the host screen is the page is updated and get it to bring the webpage up? better yet is there a way of getting the pi on a successful hit to email a snapshot to someone?

AlDante

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Pierre has a tutorial on face recognition with the Pi camera:
http://thinkrpi.wordpress.com/2013/05/2 ... board-csi/

And Tasanakorn made some significant contributions: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... cv#p385139

Hope it helps.

cable2040

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok upon reading the above links. I've learnt that 1 pi board can not stream the video and run the opencv face recognition as it would be massively too slow for purpose. So new idea use 2 pi boards 1 to capture video and stream it to the 2 the 2nd just processes the video checking it for faces and updates the webpage if it gets a hit. I might be worth pointing out that neither board will have a display directly plugged in to them.

How does this sound people? anymore do'able?

Cable

Return to “Other projects”