Joe Schmoe

Re: Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:54 pm

plugwash wrote:And of course the question of what is linux, does a system (e.g. andriod) that uses a hacked up linux kernel as a base but completely changes the rest of the system still count as "linux".
Indeed. Or the system in your router. Or in your washing machine.

All are probably Linux-derived, but not Linux in the Ubuntu (desktop) sense of the word.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Linux is not just desktop linux. Anything that runs the Linux kernel is Linux. Desktop Linux is really a distribution with a Linux kernel and GUI.

Boot a Pi to the command line? Is that Linux in the Ubuntu sense of the word? The prompt you get is the same as you get for most embedded LInux systems...

From Wikipedia..."The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel,"
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:51 pm

jamesh wrote: Desktop Linux is really a distribution with a Linux kernel and GUI.
To me a "regular" linux distro has the following characteristics.

1: it's self-hosting for development.
2: it uses a well-known set of core system components, gcc, glibc, gcc, gnu binutils gnu coreutils, gnu grep, gnu make, linux net-tools and so-on.

The GUI has always been regarded as something of an "extra" on unix-like systems but it's far from the only thing that differentiates a regular linux distro from an embedded distro and andriod is very different again.

jamesh

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Maybe I'm unusual, but the 'embedded' Linux systems I have worked on are almost exactly the same as a desktop system, without the GUI. Clearly, different levels of support in what libraries are installed, but libraries do not Linux make. To the point that you can build the kernel for x86, ARM etc from the same kernel tree. Just a different set of kernel configuration options.

Same with Android, it really is just a version of Linux under the skin (and a lot of changes made by Google for the kernel of Android have been pushed back to mainline anyway)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:38 pm

jamesh wrote:Maybe I'm unusual, but the 'embedded' Linux systems I have worked on are almost exactly the same as a desktop system, without the GUI. Clearly, different levels of support in what libraries are installed, but libraries do not Linux make. To the point that you can build the kernel for x86, ARM etc from the same kernel tree. Just a different set of kernel configuration options.

Same with Android, it really is just a version of Linux under the skin (and a lot of changes made by Google for the kernel of Android have been pushed back to mainline anyway)
+1

......will these old threads keep regurtitating semantics ?

Regards Android since around Kenel 3.5 Google have used the same standard Kernel http://kernel.org
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

It's the same kernel source on an IBM s/390 (now a zSeries) and that's a big endian machine. If you login as a remote user it's difficult to tell what hardware you're running on. It looks identical until you take a very deep look at the bowels of the system.

GNU/Linux tends to look and feel the same everywhere whether it is DebIan, Raspbian, SuSE, OpenSuSE, DeadratRedHat, Fedora, Pidora or Arch. I must take a look at Mint & Gentoo sometime.

The main difference between distros is the the pain with apt, rpm, yum or whatever package manager is used for software maintenance and the XWindows desktop manager installed by default. I've not yet found one that uses csh or ksh rather than bash.

The difference between my Ubuntu (server version no Unity) and Raspbian systems is so slight that it is 100% invisible.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dan3008

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:17 am

DougieLawson wrote: The difference between my Ubuntu (server version no Unity) and Raspbian systems is so slight that it is 100% invisible.
I use Lubuntu, rather than ubuntu. And the difference is purely the hardware I'm running on as far as an average user can tell. again, the diffrence is so slight, there no real bother. In fact the most important difference is the OpenGL vs OpenGLES, and thats a hardware (GPU) issue not an OS issue
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Return to “Other projects”