teeth_03

Re: Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Not to mention a utter waste of time...

I'm still wondering what is so wrong with Raspbian that they want Ubuntu. Its not like its going to be like a magical full speed desktop system if it has Ubuntu on it.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:28 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Not to mention a utter waste of time...

I'm still wondering what is so wrong with Raspbian that they want Ubuntu. Its not like its going to be like a magical full speed desktop system if it has Ubuntu on it.
Name-brand recognition.

It's why people eat at McDonald's instead of a mom-and-pop.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rpdom

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Name-brand recognition.

It's why people eat at McDonald's instead of a mom-and-pop.
I've never heard of a "mom-and-pop".

I wouldn't eat at McDonalds if you paid me to.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm

I've never heard of a "mom-and-pop".
It might be an Americanism. It means a non-chain restaurant. I.e., a no-name restaurant, run by a family (hence, mom and pop) rather than a corporation.
I wouldn't eat at McDonalds if you paid me to.
No argument there. But millions (ney, billions, if their signs are to be believed) do.

Then again, I'd never use Ubuntu - although I would if you paid me [*] to. So, you can see how much name-brand recognition matters to me...

[*] Paid me enough, that is...

teeth_03

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 am

Ubuntu is not a house hold name, most people have never even heard of Linux or know what it is, much less the 2nd most popular flavor of it.

The Raspberry Pi has given itself a pretty popular name in the tech industry as being a pretty cheap but still capable computer, without the help of Ubuntu.

My Raspberry Pi tastes quite fine without a side order of Big Macs.

HDMI

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm

You can always use a USB stick and partion it for the required specs, or use an SSD and a USB caddie to convert the SATA to USB, and partition it. ;)

HDMI

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm

On another note, if there was ever a more powerful "c" r.pi, with say
  • 1.5GHz processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 512MB of GPU
  • 4 USB
  • 64GB SSD
  • 1 RGB display set
  • 1 VGA
  • Built in wifi
  • Power button so you don't have to unplug the R.PI
For only $100, that would be OP. Of course, it couldn't be the same credit card size, so I'd say iPad mini size. ;)

EDIT: and just to be clear, this would add to the existing b model.

dan3008

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 pm

If there was a RPi C like that, I'd definaitally be getting one :D

Would be amazing
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

tonyhughes

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 pm

HDMI wrote:On another note, if there was ever a more powerful "c" r.pi, with say
  • 1.5GHz processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 512MB of GPU
  • 4 USB
  • 64GB SSD
  • 1 RGB display set
  • 1 VGA
  • Built in wifi
For only $100, that would be OP. Of course, it couldn't be the same credit card size, so I'd say iPad mini size. ;)

You just described a modern high powered machine with (relatively to the RPi) expensive storage.

Dear user:HDMI, meet the Raspberry Pi Foundation....
Last edited by tonyhughes on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oakham

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 pm

HDMI wrote:On another note, if there was ever a more powerful "c" r.pi, with say
  • 1.5GHz processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 512MB of GPU
  • 4 USB
  • 64GB SSD
  • 1 RGB display set
  • 1 VGA
  • Built in wifi

These types of boards/computers are already manufactured, no requirement for the RPF to compete. GAL
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

Sandeep_Jagtap

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 am

Why don't Raspberry Pi upgrade the processor in order to satisfy minium requirement of distribution like ubuntu or ubuntu based other linux distro (elementary os)

Probably make different model which has upgraded CPU and RAM in order to support these distribution so that people can opt it.

gkreidl

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 am

Sandeep_Jagtap wrote:Why don't Raspberry Pi upgrade the processor in order to satisfy minium requirement of distribution like ubuntu or ubuntu based other linux distro (elementary os)

Probably make different model which has upgraded CPU and RAM in order to support these distribution so that people can opt it.
Because you cannot produce it for the current price of the RPi. If you want to invest more money, such boards are already available and also support Ubuntu.

BTW, Ubuntu is getting more resource hungry with each new distribution. It's not optimized for small systems (any more). And that's also true for lots of apps which are installed by default on Ubuntu.

Raspbian is based on Debian, the same linux distribution as Ubuntu, so basically the same packages are available. But the default installation uses more light weight components.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:27 am

Sandeep_Jagtap wrote:Why don't Raspberry Pi upgrade the processor in order to satisfy minium requirement of distribution like ubuntu or ubuntu based other linux distro (elementary os)

Can you name an appropriate processor? One that has the same level of support, is backwards compatible, broadly the same price?

No, me neither.

The latest Raspbian, with the latest turbo driver code, provides a pretty decent desktop speed, and almost everything that Ubuntu provides. Use that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Joe Schmoe

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 am

It's a brand name thing. People want to see that Ubuntu name on their OS, just like they like to see their favorite brand name (whatever it may be) on their cigarettes.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Sandeep_Jagtap wrote:Why don't Raspberry Pi upgrade the processor in order to satisfy minium requirement of distribution like ubuntu or ubuntu based other linux distro
Afaict (this is based on what the foundation have said publically and my general knowlage of the subject area) there are a couple of reasons.

1: "upgrade" basically means "redesign". Unfortunately it's rare for there to be pin-compatible replacements for these kind of SoCs (it does happen occasionally, for example everyone who designed arround the allwinner A10 got lucky when the pin compaitble A20 came out). Said redesign would take a lot of peoples time and right now the foundation have more pressing matters to spend their time/money on.
2: If the raspberry pi foundation put out a second generation of hardware too soon they risk splitting the community and leaving the first gen Pi owners out in the cold.

The raspberry pi foundation have said that they do plan a second generation Pi eventually but not in the near future.

Fidelius

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 pm

jamesh wrote:The latest Raspbian, with the latest turbo driver code, provides a pretty decent desktop speed, and almost everything that Ubuntu provides. Use that.
A very sensible statement. It's exactly so.

For example, Xubuntu Linux (an official Ubuntu derivate with the lightweight XFCE desktop) is similar to Debian with XFCE, and XFCE being the up-coming standard desktop of Debian.
Whilst Xubuntu is a bit easier to control for the normal desktop user, and in many cases with newer versions of (desktop) software packages, it's still easy to do basically the same on Debian, too. Not such a surprise, since so many Ubuntu packages are Debian packages.

And if we install XFCE on the PI with some mouse clicks, it looks and feels nearly identical to Debian with XFCE, which in-turn behaves and looks much like Xubuntu -- or rather the other way round. It's all very Debian.

However, according to Mr. Eben Upton, we'll soon have the modern X-Server replacement named Wayland/Weston on the PI (and on non-Ubuntu Linux PCs), whilst Ubuntu goes its lone-wolf way with its own X-Server-replacement, which is already driving away many Linux users and supporters from Ubuntu...

The little Raspberry PI is very impressive, and so is its extremely stable Raspbian Linux OS. (Of course RISC OS on the PI is also very impressive, not just for us Acorn fans I hope.)
Those brave people who made or contributed to the Raspberry PI and its OS'es, and still do so today, provided and provide a true technical masterpiece. Congratulations, all.

isaiahbiker

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

You couls always just use an old version of ubuntu for armv6

leongeyer

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Well, I would like the idea.
Because I would use Raspberries for 2 things: as standalone controlling modules in art installations, there I don't need ubuntu. And as a computer, like a media server, o a little computer to write and surf in a place I don't need a strong machine. So, I think any question and any idea is valuable, if somebody does not need it is no reason to asume it would not be useful for others, and express himself arrogantly about that....
I like the idea, I support it, I would like to see it as one of the many options this fruit offers.

jamesh

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:58 pm

You can use the standard Raspbian with LXDE for anything that Ubuntu could do (Raspbian and Ubuntu are both based on Debian). Ubuntu with not/never run on the current Raspi.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm

jamesh wrote: Ubuntu with not/never run on the current Raspi.
Well the official armhf port of ubuntu won't.

A raspbuntu derivative similar to raspbian is perfectly feasible, it's "just" a matter of someone with sufficient skill, time and inclination deciding to do it.

jamesh

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:05 pm

plugwash wrote:
jamesh wrote: Ubuntu with not/never run on the current Raspi.
Well the official armhf port of ubuntu won't.

A raspbuntu derivative similar to raspbian is perfectly feasible, it's "just" a matter of someone with sufficient skill, time and inclination deciding to do it.
I was thinking more of an official Ubuntu, but your point stands!

FuzzyToothpaste

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:What is the second most widely used computer OS?
Mac OS X. Windows holds 93% of the computer operating system market share, and Mac OS X holds 5%. Other (including GNU/Linux) is 2%. Although Ubuntu is not the second most popular computer OS, it is the second most popular PC OS, as you can't run Mac OS X on a PC. (P.S. Before you say "Yes you can!" and give me a link to the Hackintosh website, let me say that Hackintosh is against Apple's EULA and can also be considered software piracy for modifying and distributing source code.)

jamesh

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:30 am

FuzzyToothpaste wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:What is the second most widely used computer OS?
Mac OS X. Windows holds 93% of the computer operating system market share, and Mac OS X holds 5%. Other (including GNU/Linux) is 2%. Although Ubuntu is not the second most popular computer OS, it is the second most popular PC OS, as you can't run Mac OS X on a PC. (P.S. Before you say "Yes you can!" and give me a link to the Hackintosh website, let me say that Hackintosh is against Apple's EULA and can also be considered software piracy for modifying and distributing source code.)
You are talking only about desktop OS's, although I suspect that 2% figures for Linux is out of date ,at least 3% I would have thought, if not higher. Although it is a notoriously difficult thing to estimate, so all figures in this area are quite suspect.

If you count all devices, I think Linux wins overall by quite a way (Android, set top boxes, TV's washing machines etc)

Joe Schmoe

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04 pm

If you count all devices, I think Linux wins overall by quite a way (Android, set top boxes, TV's washing machines etc)
Then you get into the whole question of "What is a computer?" Is a washing machine a computer?

Is a smartphone a computer?

It kinda follows that if something is not a computer, then it can't be running a computer OS.

What's really funny to me is that I can't remember now - 2 years later - why I asked the "2nd most widely used" question in the first place. I'm sure it was all very subtle and clever (as all of my posts are), but I can't quite remember now what subtle point I was driving at…

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:50 pm

And of course the question of what is linux, does a system (e.g. andriod) that uses a hacked up linux kernel as a base but completely changes the rest of the system still count as "linux".

Return to “Other projects”