huwjenjinn

Re: Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:45 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:Why? It seems to me that Ubuntu seems to have a big brand name following - people, like you, seem to want it like they want their Coca Cola.

That, of course, is the goal of any business - to build up a brand and get people thinking they gotta have it.

To any real hacker, Linux is Linux. It shouldn't matter what brand name it carries.
Coca Cola has nothing to differentiate it (this may shock some people) from all the other Cola brands other than, well, it's brand. Linux distros are actually different from each other, some more so than others, but as far as your average Joe in the street is concerned there's only one, Linux. If Linux is going after that community then it's in the Cola boat whether it would like to be or not. So, I agree with what you're saying but perhaps I feel it is the way to get a non-hacker community interested in a great OS.

As for not getting Ubuntu on the Pi I'm none too bothered for the reasons more clearly stated above. Ubuntu aims to deliver a more polished user experience at the expense of supporting legacy hardware; seems sensible to me when resources are finite. Not supporting the Pi is a big loss but one that Ubuntu can survive. After all, by the time the Pi is able to deliver the sorts of numbers to make a difference there'll be many hardware alternatives, much like Cola, and some will ship with Ubuntu for the less savvy users.

ROFLCOPTER

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 pm

1. that last commet was a little harsh

2. Ubuntu would be great on R.PI because it opens up the market to more people who may dislike the OS' offered

3. One of the main focuses should be on being able to change the resolution because no mater what i plug my Pi into i get one resolution and it doesn't work on my TV for what i want it to.

gritz

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 pm

ROFLCOPTER wrote:2. Ubuntu would be great on R.PI because it opens up the market to more people who may dislike the OS' offered ...
Hmmm, I'm not really convinced on this one. One accusation that can't be laid at the door of open source in general is lack of choice - tbh there are so many distros trying to please all of the people all of the time that there is a lack of focus. Low power devices (like the Pi) really need a dedicated / customised OS imo - the x86 / x64 paradigm of "toss in all the vanilla stuff, there's memory and CPU to spare" doesn't really apply. Doing it properly takes resources and the Ubuntu folks are obviously after a certain demographic, rather than just "getting it out there". I can't blame 'em for not wanting to spread themselves too thinly. There are more first time Linux users picking up the Pi than was envisioned, but I don't see it as a Ubuntu "crowd".

Regarding the cola analogy: even I can taste the difference between the name brands and cheap supermarket pop - and I hate the stuff! ;)

Mequa

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:39 am

Although a "Raspbuntu" would be nice, in practice a more lightweight Linux distro will be more usable.

I'm not a fan of Unity, but I do wonder how it could perform on the Pi given full hardware acceleration (and with hardware-accelerated X drivers, etc.). I'm thinking "poorly", though. Unity chugs on an Intel Atom netbook. Meanwhile LXDE is slow enough on the R.Pi (although I've yet to see it with hardware-accelerated X drivers).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 am

The HW accelerated X drivers are not done yet. Unity would probably be OK with the right acceleration, but Canonical do not support the Arm version in the Raspi, so Ubuntu isn't going to happen unless that changes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Jade

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 am

are the X drivers coming along at all? Who is working on them?

rico757

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm

I think Ubuntu should keep an eye on just how many users post/visit this thread and consider building an OS for the Raspberry Pi.

I found this thread by googling Ubuntu Raspberry Pi (and I'm sure others have and will).

For the price, it's a great little piece of hardware that I could give to my kids to allow them to do what they need to do for homework at a cheap price. USB mice and keyboards are cheap and they already have TVs with hdmi input.

I used to be a computer geek -- but those days are way over. I'd love Ubuntu for the Raspberry Pi because I am familiar with Ubuntu since other machines I own run it and it's quite user friendly compared to other Linux OS's I've run back in the day.

Just my 2 cents...
Richard

AJSmith

I don't think so...

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 am

Let me start with, I am an avid Ubuntu user (Desktop & Server) and prefer it to any flavor of Linux out there... But that being said I feel it is not meant for such a minimal system such as the Raspberry Pi and now that I have looked into it, would not use Ubuntu on it at all, even server. I feel anyone that knows and understands the Linux CLI will come to the same conclusion and decide to use the approved Distro's.

I am pretty sure anyone familiar with Linux is looking to use this piece of hardware as some sort of tool (File Sharing, Server, Multimedia Center or something similar to that) not a replacement to any sort of desktop or portable computer like a Tablet or Laptop....

And for anyone not familiar with Linux that was looking in to getting this either wants to dabble in something new, use it as a toy, or has a project they want to use it for and is willing to learn what it takes to get it working... And for that I say great, bring new users to the bases of Linux and teach them something, and educate them on how easy it can be when they want to learn it. Maybe, just maybe, they will want to switch themselves on there desktop someday...

I don't think these new users are looking to replace there desktop computer either!

So let Ubuntu do what they want, I won't run it on this thing, I don't really even think I want a desktop interface for it anyway unless I wanted to run a multimedia center on it and even then I want the bare minimum of stuff running in the background.

I guess in the end... I think the Raspberry Pi is great and plan on getting a few here soon to use for some projects and replace some of my server systems I use at the moment... And maybe test to see how it works as a Multimedia Center and if not well, I will stick with my Mod'ed Wii for that...

Thank You,
-FULL TIME Ubuntu User
~AJ Smith

MishMich

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I think that it is a great idea, but not with Unity as the default desktop.

I got my Raspberry running Debian fairly easily, but have hit a couple of glitches, which I think are down to the nature of Debian as much as anything. If I want to do non-multimedia stuff on a computer, I go for Debian. But, for a lot of multimedia stuff, simply getting it to work can be a nightmare on Debian, whereas that stuff often works out of the box with Ubuntu.

I use XFCE, because I am not that keen on LXDE. Guess it is because I am a crusty Gnome 2.x die-hard. You don't have to run Unity, that is what Xubuntu is for, so there's no reason why you can't run a lightweight version of Ubuntu, rather than Unity, Gnome3, KDE, etc.

I eventually got sound via the 3.5mm jack working, so I can use it to play the music from my file server through the stereo without cables going across the room, and control it from a laptop, tablet or mobile phone. A few kinks to iron out: such as why the Edimax WiFi dongle won't start unless the Pi is plugged into the router via ethernet cable. Not finding it easy to figure that one out.

The point is, though, to run it remotely without cable, or monitor. I suspect it is a power issue, although I bought this dongle because it is supposed to work without the need for an external usb hub and (apart from the temporary ethernet cable & phono jack), is the only other thing plugged in now.

The audio clicks now and then, which is a bit annoying. But, not a bad little music player. One could use an external hard-drive instead, of course, but that is not the point, it is meant to be there to play music in the living room which sits on the file server in the office. The audio libraries and codecs in Debian ARM look a bit of a mess (get nervous about installing gstreamer libraries with names that end in 'ugly' and 'bad'...), although they may be a mess on the x86 branch as well for all I know, because I never usually use Debian for multimedia, as most things just work out of the box with Ubuntu.

I remember the hassle of getting Broadcom WiFi working on my old celeron laptop using an NDIS wrapper - still use the same laptop, got WiFi working under arch on it, and while Debian was still a hassle to get WiFi working (although at least not having to use wrappers), Ubuntu just does it without any problem - just as it does multimedia stuff.
pipiper.jpg
Raspbian, XFCE, Exaile, NFS & VNC.
pipiper.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 10760 times
So, maybe an Ubuntu/XFCE version of the GNU/linux-debian ARM port for the Raspberry would be nice, although that would limit what one might learn while setting it up. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the RPi, doesn't it? It would be nice though, so that when you've finished messing about with it, you could have something that works without needing fiddling with (for example, where the WiFi dongle doesn't entail having to have the ethernet plugged in for some strange reason, and where if you do pull the WiFi dongle out it doesn't kill the power to the RPi, and where you can listen to audio through a 3.5mm jack without crackles between tracks...).

Mish

MishMich

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm

If I use a decent USB-hub, and if I boot up the RPi with the WiFi-dongle plugged into that, and if the WLAN interface doesn't come up, then I can unplug and plug back in the WifFi dongle, and the WLAN then seems to work. But, /etc/fstab is read without any network interface, so the NFS share doesn't get mounted, and has to be re-mounted. Which is all fairly trivial stuff, but it would be nice not to have to re-plug the USB dongle, not to have to use the USB-hub (as it is meant to be for my telescope control) to avoid rebooting the RPi when I plug in the WiFi-dongle, and re-mount the NFS-share manually every time I reboot. I guess some of this wouldn't change with Ubuntu (the original Buffalo/Rockwell WiFi-dongle I tried shut down the RPi when I plugged it in, but the WLAN wouldn't come up if I booted with it in either), as it is a limitation of the hardware.

Nixzs

Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Ya know I think you could use an older version of Ubuntu and format it for the Pi? It would be a great business venture (especially if you want like a scholarship or something) ;)
----Nils

theirry

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 am

Personally I'm a big ubuntu fan.
and I hope that ubuntu could be bothered enough to make a version of ubuntu for the pi.
the specs are 512mb ram at minimum and guess what? model b have 512 mb of ram.
ubuntu could easily make a version for the pi and it would be very quick and easy.
although one thing is that If they ever make a version for the pi, it has to have a Gnome interface.

teeth_03

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:49 pm

I don't know if its because I'm a noob, but why exactly isn't Raspbian a good enough Ubuntu replacement? They both are Debian based and its not like Ubuntu is going to run more applications than Raspbian can.

Ubuntu got pretty bloated throughout the years, in my eyes, its pretty much the Vista of the Linux world.

I don't use Linux much at all outside of the Pi, but I prefer Mint myself. Either way, I feel Raspbian is perfectly fine for the Pi. Its the application compatibility that is the problem, and its not like Ubuntu is going to fix that.

jamesh

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:58 pm

I use Ubuntu on desktop, and Raspbian on Pi. Since I use command line on the PI, I see no difference at all. The main difference to desktop uses would be the desktop interface - Unity for example (which would be too slow to be usable I think), but underneath, the two distros are very similar.

So, can someone explain to me WHY people want Ubuntu, specifically, because I'd really like to know?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

dan3008

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:50 pm

jamesh wrote:I use Ubuntu on desktop, and Raspbian on Pi.
I'm the same, And i use the desktop enviroment on both, as well as commandline... Yes, there are some differences, but I actually find Raspbian to be more use able than ubuntu lol. Plus its desktop environment is much more like windows, where ubuntu is more like a mac environment. Or thats my oppinion
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

noob

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 am

my 1.6 ghz 991 mib laptop cant even run ubuntu 13.04 properly, it is almost as slow as windowze

dan3008

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 am

noob wrote:my 1.6 ghz 991 mib laptop cant even run ubuntu 13.04 properly, it is almost as slow as windowze
I was having that problem... I had both windows and unbuntu installed, but my Hard disk was full. Literally, I couldnt even save a simple text file, there was no room. Installed onto a reformatted hard disk, It seems to be working ok
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

noob

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 am

but i have it on an empty ssd, without any xtra oses

jamesh

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:27 pm

noob wrote:but i have it on an empty ssd, without any xtra oses
Weird. I'm using it on a pretty old desktop here, and a pretty old desktop at home (4 years old at least), and an Acer EEpc (with SSD) and it's fine on all of those.

noob

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

i use an asus eee pc,

jamesh

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:19 pm

noob wrote:i use an asus eee pc,
Probably depends on what you are trying to do then. I find flash in browsers is a bit slow on the Eee, but everything else seems to work OK.

Lob0426

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I have an Emachines (made by ACER) netbook with Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 and it runs fine dual boot. I have not tried 13.04.

@jamesh. Mine has some sort of software excelerator added in. Runs flash and Netflix just fine.

It came with 1GB but that lasted about a week before the 2 GB stick arrived. 250GB HDD came in it. Only about 130GB used. It was sale priced at Wal-mart for $228 when I bought a couple of years ago. Comes in real Handy for working with a RasPi.

I turned Unity off and use Lubuntu instead. Unity was just too slow.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm

USe LUbuntu and it will look pretty much like raspbian anyway, from there the only difference is just a few sudo apt-get's away.

poodle448

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 am

When I got my pi, I went t to a store here in Colorado called Micro City, (I don't know if they have these elsewhere in the country or even the world,) and the guy told me that there was no version of Ubuntu ported to the Raspberry Pi yet, he told me that he expects Ubuntu to be coming out (as well as Linux Mint) with their own versions of a Pi OS in the future. I'll keep you updated on this. :D
-Ryan

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Everything i've heard from people inside ubuntu is that they have no intention of supporting armv6. I strongly suspect that the person in the store was simply clueless.

Some third party could do a rebuild of ubuntu but I doubt they actually will. I've learnt the hard way that rebuilding a major linux distro is a massive PITA.

Return to “Other projects”