langlo94

Re: Putting the Raspberry Pi on a PCI card?

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 am

Would it be feasible to combine a R-Pi and a PCI card to have a computer in a computer? I'm thinking that you could use a R-Pi to monitor your computer and do Other Stuff™, e.g. connecting it to a small monitor and looping nyan cat.

Lob0426

Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:29 am

Might be possible using an Ethernet card. You can take the power (for the RasPi) off of a Molex connector if you have one. If not you will have to get a SATA to Molex adapter both supply 12v and 5v. Some Motherboards do not like to run two Ethernets at once though. You will want an Ethernet card that you can solder a wires to. You will also have to figure out where you are going to mount the RasPi at. Definitely possible though. You may bring the USB's out on the slot cover of the Ethernet card or a slot cover above or below it. I would look for a used Ethernet card at a local computer store, that way you can look at the card.

Good Luck and sling some solder!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

langlo94

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I was thinking that the R-Pi would just use the PCI to have a stable mount and a Video output, i.e not using the PCI connector just stealing power from the PSU and having temperature probes positioned in the usual places.

abishur

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Well theoretically, you should be able to cannibalize a pci card, and attach some wires to the right pins to get power / "mount" the r-pi, but there's two issues here. 1) Do you have a pci slot capable of 5 volts? and 2) The r-pi team would have to change the accepted voltage to include 5v (right now the accepted voltage is 6-20V DC).

You might also be able to find a pci dummy card that you could attach the r-pi to then get your power off the 12 volt rail of the power supply
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lob0426

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:42 pm

langlo94: It is possible to do it that way. Look up the color code for the molex connector. The yellow wire is your 12v+ the black wire next to it is 12- or ground. The next black wire is 5v- then the red wire 5v+. When I mounted a USB HDD w/switch internally in my computer I cannibalized a molex connector from a SATA to molex adapter. I removed all four pins from the housing. Then uncrimped the 12v pins and inserted my power wires. Then recrimped the pins. Never had a problem with that setup. If they decide to go 5v with the RasPi you would just do this with the red and it's neighboring black wire instead.

Find a pci card that is bolted to the expansion cover. Does Not matter if the card works or not. Remove the expansion cover. Build an adapter plate to bolt to it. Then bolt the RasPi to that. Use a dremel to cut the needed holes through the expansion slot cover for the video connectors. You will have to build a couple of USB adapters if you are going to connect a mouse and keyboard to the RasPi.

Doing it this way you will have to establish your network through a hub, switch or router. My suggestion of connecting through a network card is a bit harder but keeps everything inside the case. either method will work. I would also try to support the tail end of the RasPi by cutting a piece off of that old PCI card, scratch the traces off of it or cover them. Then attach it to the RasPi and slip it into the PCI connector. This will reduce the chance of vibration weakening and snapping off the RasPi from the slot cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M....._connector

langlo94

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm

I have an old network card [with bolts :)] thats not being used. The network on the R-Pi is sadly not in the ideal place
(it should be on the left right of that side instead of the right left, but it might work)

Lob0426

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Thats the problem, and the thrill of hardware bashing. Its almost never easy. No matter how you mount it you have a problem. You either have the Ethernet facing the motherboard or the power connector.

langlo94

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Maybe if I rotated the R-Pi so that the PCI mount would just be connected to an empty spot, and had the ethernet wire through the hole?

mitch161

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 am

but the ethernet is on the left side... if u put the card between ur fingers touching the ethernet and the power on the opposite side of board.. and just flip it over.. u got the choice.

all you have to do is have it mounted high enough up the mounted PCI dummy card so u still have access to either the USB or video output.. depending on which way u flip it.

because one will end up pointing down towards the pci slot.

but like i said if u mount it high enough up a dummy card should give u room to still plug somethin in.. or if PC in question has 2 slot spaces.. just have it mounted on risers from the dummy card to it comes out through the second backplate..

its easy to get around. just got to play around with how ur going to seat it onto a PCI card

Return to “Other projects”