Staljabro

RPi remote sensor.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking at possibilities for remote sensors made with the raspberry pi, such as a sensor that knows when a gate gets opened, takes a photo, and sends it to a phone or computer that may be as far away as 5km. (The idea is for placing the sensors on the far gates of an Australian station.) I'm wondering what the easiest/cheapest way to go about this would be. I am wondering whether modifying cell phones to transmit the image to a head unit at the receiver would work, or having the head unit connected to Internet, allowing the image to be sent to any cell phone necessary. Is this possible? If so, is there anyone here who is able to provide some information as to how this would work. (I'm willing to create my own small GSM network if that's what it takes)

ghans

Re: RPi remote sensor.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Using old Nokia phones would be my suggestion.

"Random" 3G dongles seem to be hard to get working because
vendors do not seem to care about Linux in the slightest .

I guess if you use Linux , you must be willing to crosscompile
kernels and patch obscure drivers yourself all day long. :evil:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DaveTheWalker

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 pm

If you're feeling *really* adventurous, you could try something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138

;)

Staljabro

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 pm

ghans wrote:Using old Nokia phones would be my suggestion.
Yes that is looking like a good idea. Unfortunately I don't know anything about programming or changing firmware so that will be quite a learning curve. (Although whatever I choose, I'm going to have to program it)
ghans wrote:I guess if you use Linux , you must be willing to crosscompile
kernels and patch obscure drivers yourself all day long. :evil:
I haven't used Linux much, so I guess this is the time to do a heap of research... :geek:

DaveTheWalker wrote:If you're feeling *really* adventurous, you could try something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138

;)
That seems like a good possibility. Do you know if they can be programmed to automatically send images they receive from the Pi?

ghans

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 am

In both cases you might need to play with AT commands .
So some commandline knowledge (and BASH scripting experience) is
very important IMHO.

You could , of course , learn a "real" programming language right away (Python ?) .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Other projects”