H1machiii

Merge Pi and Dell Inspiron

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm

The motherboard on my Dell Inspiron 2305 died. I was thinking about mounting my Pi in the case and using the various functions of the dell. I would of course have to use different power sources for the Pi and the monitor, hard drive, DVD. Could it be done or am I wasting my time?

cae2100

Re: Merge Pi and Dell Inspiron

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 pm

well, you can get the external enclosure electronics and hook the stuff up that way, like hdd/cdrom drive, but idk how well the cdrom drive would work. The only thing is, the rpi is designed to run from an SD card, not external harddrive, and you probably noticed by now that it wont run the normal pc software, so you cant just swap it in. If you made a custom mount bracket for the rpi, you could do it, then attach a usb hub and attach the external enclosure electronics to it, it might work that way, but like I said, it only boots from the SD card.

Ive seen a few distro setups booting from a small SD card, which tells it to boot the files off of a thumb drive, so maybe you can do that with external hdd stuff.

All in all, I think you'd spend more money on the various parts to do that than it would cost to just buy a new motherboard.
If it isnt smoking and blown into pieces, it's not pushed far enough yet. :P
http://cae2100.wordpress.com

H1machiii

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for pointing out out the major problem and the fact it would cost more than replacing the mb. I may use use of my 4 Pis later on to give it a try just as a fun project. It's actually cheaper to buy a new computer than a new mb so ill go the route for now. Thanks again cae2100.

cae2100

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 pm

most motherboards use generic pcb holes layout, so like your inspiron, you can replace the mobo with a standard mini-atx mobo, and those with the processors usually run 40-50 dollars anymore, that's why I said it was cheaper to replace the mobo. I work on computers for a living and have done that many times to repair mobos and such that have been hit by lightning or other issues caused by idiots. Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com is usually where I look for them, they generally have a good selection of stuff at decent prices. The only real difference between most OEM computer manufacturers and the standard boards is just custom bios that is locked down so people cant mess with it, and add in a custom boot image, like dell in your occasion.
If it isnt smoking and blown into pieces, it's not pushed far enough yet. :P
http://cae2100.wordpress.com

Return to “Other projects”