apple_tart

Re: racy_py

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 am

Dumb question - waiting for hardware to arrive & though I would try the Racy-Py as suggested on the RP website, downloaded the software, unzipped etc, got a load of files in a directory on the PC (none of which the PC recognize unsuprisingly) - how do I get this s/w into a form that will boot the PC?

RaTTuS

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

you cannot
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ghans

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 am

Isn"t racypy a .iso ? Burn it to a CD with ImgBurn or InfraRecord.
Check BIOS Boot order , and then reboot.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

RaTTuS

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am

oh actually - yes - you need to burn the iso and boot from that
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Joe Schmoe

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:00 pm

What is RacyPy?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

apple_tart

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Yes, well, found a burner and downloaded it, copied all the files into the 'what would you like to burn' section, burned, tweaked the BIOS to see the CD drive first, restarted and hey presto! - straight into Windows as normal!! Hmmm...  looked at the instructions more closely .. need to burn "an image" (how does this differ from a bunch of files?), so back to the burning software to the 'create an image' section.. what files would you like burn etc etc, burn, check BIOS is still CD first, restart and hey presto!!! straight into Windows as normal... !!! Anyone got any ideas (this is the ABSOLUTE beginners page after all....)

antiloquax

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi, I'm sorry you've had some problems with RacyPy.

You need some software that will burn an .iso image.

I think you can do it in Nero and so on, but I like this little program:

http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

Once you have installed it,  you just need to right click it and choose "Burn using DVD Decrypter".  Then click on the picture at the bottom of the window and you'll be away!

Once you've booted up, you can start programming in Python straight away. There are some tutorials in "my-documents" they are in an archive - just click on it and the archive program will open it for you.

Thanks again for downloading this!

mark

antiloquax

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

What is RacyPy?

RacyPy and WaryPy are remastered versions of Puppy Linux.. I put RacyPy together to help me when teaching programming at school. They both have everything you need to start  programming in Python. For those new to Linux, they avoid the need to install anything!

You can also use them in VirtualBox. I've uploaded a .vdi file for WaryPy.

http://teampython.wordpress.co.....irtualbox/

pygmy_giant

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Seems to have disappeared on the downloads page of this site.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm

apple_tart said:

looked at the instructions more closely .. need to burn "an image" (how does this differ from a bunch of files?)

antiloquax has already answered this, but I somehow skimmed right past his response. Anyway, here's my take:

I'm assuming that when you downloaded RacyPy, you downloaded a file named RacyPy.iso. If this is the case, burning an image is incredibly simple. If you found another file (.zip or .7z or .tar.gz), check to see if the .iso is inside of it. To me it sounds like you extracted the files from the image, which is an unnecessary step.

I'm rather fond of using imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) for image burning as its free, and just does the job.

After installing imgburn, launch it and you will be presented with the launch wizard. You'll want to "write image file to disc".

For source, click the little yellow folder ("Browse for a file") and select the RacyPy.iso file. Your destination *should* auto-choose your cd burner. Load a new CD and click the Write button (the big one at the bottom).

antiloquax

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks burning_racypi

ghans

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am

apple_tart ,
an .iso is a complete CD - you have to burn it completely to the "raw" CD , not as "data CD project" (several files) .
Some archive programs try to extract files from the iso.
Never burn those , because a iso contaims additional info which those programs cannot extract. (namely bootloaders and signatures).

Hope this cleared up your confusion.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

pygmy_giant

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi – thanks for the info so far – I"ve got a few questions and would be grateful if anyone can help:

1) Can you burn the .ico direct to the SD card or does it have to go on a CD first before placing an image on the SD card from inside Puppy using another machine?

2) I believe RacyPy runs in memory using about 100Mb leaving 156Mb to play with on the Pi – can it also run from media if more RAM space is required?

3) I have downloaded devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs and believe that I can use this to compile in C++ from inside Puppy – is this correct and is Puppy a suitable distro for the Pi re: C++?

4) is there anything that Arch Linux does that Puppy can"t from the command line?

Basically I"m taking the step from Windows to Linux and want something that won"t cause me grief and lets me program and compile in C++ on the Pi – I want to access the GPIO pins an build a robot buggy without learning another language - is puppy for me?

Thanks in advance…

khulat

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Racy_Py is not a distribution for the Raspi but for your run of the mill PC, so you can't use it with your Pi.

You have to download one of the images that are available from the Downloads page here at raspberrypi.org.

antiloquax

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:32 pm

This is not a RPI ARM OS, it's just to play around with on a PC. Hopefully Puppy will be coming to the Pi soon.

Yes - the devx gives you GCC so you can compile.

Puppy can work with very little RAM - you can opt not to load the full sfs into RAM with some boot parameters (I think it's pfix=nocopy - have to check).

mark

Joe Schmoe

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Yes, that is the source of confusion on this thread.  And I have a hard time believing it was entirely unintentional.

It actually makes one wonder if the real answer to my post of a week or so back, entitled "Why Python?" is actually 'Because Python has "Py" in it - and that seems a natural fit for the "Pi"'.  I.e., trading on the name game...

meltwater

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm

RacyPy was mentioned a lot else where, but the confusion has come from forgetting some users won"t have heard about it or what it is for.  (all of a sudden there are real RPis out in the wild!)

RacyPy is a LiveCD for booting on a normal PC or within a VM.  It"s use is to allow a super fast easy way to play with Python and other languages (and become familiar with non-windows environments) without needing to do things like dual booting OSs and installing various linux distros.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

pygmy_giant

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Don"t mean to be rude, but if it isn"t available for the Pi, why is it discussed on this website? I hope it DOES become available as it seems like it would be a good match. What are the official noises from the distibutors? If they don"t make it available soon they will miss the boat and a critical mass of Pi users may swing in behind other distros and they will find it hard to get a toehold.

Now I"m thinking Debian Squeeze v Arch Linux - I use my laptop for home computing - I only want the Pi for dedicated project use so it makes sense to me to have a lightweight distro.

Come on Puppy - come and play!

meltwater

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 pm

I thought Puppy was in the works...have i missed something?

It is discussed here for the very reason Liz mentioned it on the main page.  You can try out programming with it...  Not everyone has a RPi yet.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Joe Schmoe

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Yes, but it should obviously have been posted in the "Off Topic" forum...

antiloquax

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 pm

meltwater said:

I thought Puppy was in the works...have i missed something?

It is discussed here for the very reason Liz mentioned it on the main page.  You can try out programming with it...  Not everyone has a RPi yet.

Yes, Lobster and others are working on Puppy on PARM

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM

pygmy_giant

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Yay! go Lobster...

apple_tart

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 pm

antiloquax said:

Hi, I'm sorry you've had some problems with RacyPy.

You need some software that will burn an .iso image.

I think you can do it in Nero and so on, but I like this little program:

Once you have installed it,  you just need to right click it and choose "Burn using DVD Decrypter".  Then click on the picture at the bottom of the window and you'll be away!

Once you've booted up, you can start programming in Python straight away. There are some tutorials in "my-documents" they are in an archive - just click on it and the archive program will open it for you.

Thanks again for downloading this!

mark

This is not in the complete beginners section for nothing!!!!...ok downloaded the little dvddecrypter prog, all aok set it up for 'write an ISO'.., got my CD drive as the'destination'. when it comes to find a file to write to the CD, can't find one... anything I try to select to put in the 'source' box is a non-starter. I don't have an .iso file in the load of files that came from the Racy-Pi download, there are 14 files resulting from unzipping the Racy-Py download, 3 are called 'boot', some 'outlooks'. CFG, BIN, SFS but nothing that looks like a .ISO file. Where am I going wrong?? Help!

apple_tart

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 pm

ALSO......

" but I like this little program:

Once you have installed it,  you just need to right click it and choose "Burn using DVD Decrypter".  Then click on the picture at the bottom of the window and you'll be away!"

What do you right click? If I right click the dvddecrypter icon there is no burn option!! If I right click any part of the open dvddecrypter screen there is still no burn option!!! More help!!!!

Chris.Rowland

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 pm

I tried racy and it was fine, the best Linux I've used; it didn't get in the way. I used it to run Gparted to sort out the partitions on an SD card that's destined for a Pi - one day.

The reason people may be struggling is because of the boot order that's set on a PC. I needed to go into the BIOS and change it so it would try to boot from the CD before booting from the hard disk (HDD). Before that it ignored the CD and booted Windows.

This is the sort of beginner problem that experienced users don't even realise is a problem.

Return to “Other projects”